windows home server RRS feed

• Question

• need help please asap-i just purchased ex475 media smart server hp--using Verizon as my ip--have a westell versa link 327w modem/router

i installed software no problem but tried to configure Router kept on getting error messages that my router is not set for remote access andcannot verify UPNP standard-went into router configuration and manually installed port forwarding tcp-80 tcp-443 and tcp-4125 and still did not solve problem. spoke with verizon and they informed me that there main computer system blocks the above ports for home usage only good for commercial usage and will not try to solve problem.

could anybody advise what to do to solve this problem?

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:06 AM

Answers

• You can try various workarounds (which you'll mostly find in the software forum) but what you quoted contains your most likely answer...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:52 AM

All replies

• You dont... upgrade your service with them, or get comcast..... Comcast is better anyway... Sorry chief....

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:24 AM
  • Actually there are ways around this - do a search on the forums here as others have posted about this.

or check out some of the blogs - www.wegotserved.co.uk for example.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:19 AM
  • Andrew, Verizon blocks all incoming ports in most areas of the country. There's really no way to get remote access working if someone has Verizon as their ISP, unless they're willing to buy business class service from them.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:34 PM
  • thanks Ken - being based in the UK I wasnt aware of that!

Andrew

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 12:44 PM
  • thank you for your reply-however i read alot of the messages on the forum but could not locate any assistance--would you know of any location on the forum.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:20 AM
  •  

Andrew was mistaken Irwin, and its just not possible.

You need to pony up for buisness class service, or switch to a diffrent ISP...

Ive got comcast (Great upload too) and it works great!

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:19 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

Andrew, Verizon blocks all incoming ports in most areas of the country. There's really no way to get remote access working if someone has Verizon as their ISP, unless they're willing to buy business class service from them.

Question. I'm thinking of getting a hp ex475 and have a westell 327w by verizon. Can I still use the server connected to the westell and for go the remote access?
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:13 AM
  • You can try various workarounds (which you'll mostly find in the software forum) but what you quoted contains your most likely answer...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:52 AM