Biggest Fear in WHS: Corrupt Ntfs.sys on Bootup, When Try to Repair Disk Not Found RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All...

My biggest fear has come true after having WHS up for a few weeks...

On bootup I see the following:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

System32Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I then follow those instructions and during WHS setup initialization, I never get to the point where I can attempt a repair because I see a message that something like 

Windows Setup could not find a suitable drive for the installation.

I restarted the computer without writing down the full error message... but then when i booted from disk, the "Initializing Setup" progress dialog box never completes. I tried a couple more times and had similar issues.

In another attempt, the WHS bootup process shows "Windows is loading files...", then shows a black screen with a green progress display... but the process never actually gets to the initializing setup screen... only a black screen with a mouse cursor (the mouse works)

I also sometimes hear what I think is a dreaded HD click... but I can't confirm whether this is the main OS hd or the "extended storage" drive. I guess I should unplug the extended drive and try and boot? However, since I don't full understand the extended / backup storage drive architecture in server, I will await further instruction

A thread I posted a while back seems applicable now: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/e25d1d03-efce-4bac-bfa1-ce01be27ca89

Any help would be appreciated... I really have no idea what to do here. If the HD is bad, I also need to figure out what to do with the "extended" and "backup" drives that were installed.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:16 AM

All replies

• One of your drives has failed.  You need to identify which one it is and replace it with a working drive.  You will then be able to perform a system recovery.

It's probably the 80GB - I should have perhaps mentioned before that if the 80GB drive is old then it's not a good idea to use it, my apologies.

--
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:43 AM
  • If I upgrade the motherboard / etc, is that basically the same approach I would take?
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Yes, system recovery would be necessary. Windows (esp earlier than Vista) does not respond well to large hardware changes like the motherboard.
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Where is the "recovery" data stored if there is only an 'extended storage' drive and no "backup" drive that been added?

If there is no backup drive, only an extended storage and the main OS drive needs to be replaced... what happens to everything in the "extended storage drive"? Is there at least some data in the extended storage drive that will allow the recovered installation on the main drive to recognize the extended storage drive and all its data?

thanks so much for all your answers!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Where is the "recovery" data stored if there is only an 'extended storage' drive and no "backup" drive that been added?  
    If, by "recovery data", you mean shares that had Folder Duplication enabled, the data in those shares is stored on 2 physical hard drives (so if one fails, the data is not lost).  (If you mean something else, please clarify.)

If there is no backup drive, only an extended storage and the main OS drive needs to be replaced... what happens to everything in the "extended storage drive"?

As long as the secondary drives (that's what they're called; as compared to the primary drive, which is the drive with the OS on it) are functional, the data is still there.

Is there at least some data in the extended storage drive that will allow the recovered installation on the main drive to recognize the extended storage drive and all its data?

There is no OS data on any hard drive to "recover" your installation.  You boot from the DVD and select Server Reinstallation (which sets up the OS on the new hard drive, then the last step it does is it integrates the secondary drives into the storage pool).

thanks so much for all your answers!

Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:23 AM
  • I installed a new drive and booted from dvd... Then it only allowed me to select "new installation". Then rebooted because I thought I missed something. On the next attempt, I saw the "Load Drivers" functionality and through trial and error with drivers got the system to recognize the the 2 additional drives and was given the option to restore.

Then the installation seemed like it was going swimmingly. Lots of stuff was being unpacked and installed, with a few installer initiated reboots. Then, near what seemed to be the end of the installation (close to a big hooray)... I saw this dialog box:

Restoring the archiver data failed because of an error in an external component.

Windows Home Server setup failed. The error code is 0x80004005. Please correct the problem and reboot to restart the setup program.

Now some incomplete version of Windows seems to be on the machine. The desktop says "Windows Home Server"... but the server control panel does not exist.

Also, my additional drives are not being recognized in My Computer.

I saved the log file... which is obviously quite lengthy... below is a section from the bottom of the file that shows some failure info.

[TRACE] DetectArchiverData : Exited (0x80004005)
    [TRACE] Step_RestoreArchiverData : Exited (0x80004005)
    [4/8/2010 3:56:10 AM  794] Restoring the archiver data failed. Error 0x80004005.
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file I:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file J:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)
    [4/8/2010 3:56:10 AM  794] MessageBox: Restoring the archiver data failed because of an error in an external component.
    [4/8/2010 3:56:16 AM  794] Windows Home Server setup failed. The error code is 0x80004005. Please correct the problem and reboot to restart the setup program.
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file I:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file J:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)
    [4/8/2010 3:56:16 AM  794] MessageBox: Windows Home Server installation failed. Do you want to view the installation log file?
    [4/8/2010 3:56:19 AM  794] Spawning process [notepad.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\q_setup.log"]

Any ideas?

Thursday, April 8, 2010 11:07 AM
  • You have to load the hard disk controller drivers a second time.  Once for the Pre boot install and then the other during the main installation.  See this blog entry for a walkthrough:

http://albal21.wordpress.com/2010/02/09/setting-up-windows-home-server-with-alternative-disk-drivers/

--
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 11:09 AM
  • I checked out the link you sent... the installation successfully went through everything and all the screens shown before throwing errors and everything else in my previous post :-\
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Well somewhere along the line your install has become corrupt.

Have you checked your drives?  Even brand new drives sometimes has faults.

Is your memory in your machine okay?  Download and run MemTest86 overnight.

--
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:24 PM
  • I was wrong... i overlooked the second place to install the drivers... the problem is that it requires a floppy disk of the drivers and I have no way of creating a floppy disk... that is funny and frustrating at the same time. arg... on i go.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:50 PM
  • I was wrong... i overlooked the second place to install the drivers... the problem is that it requires a floppy disk of the drivers and I have no way of creating a floppy disk... that is funny and frustrating at the same time. arg... on i go.
    Did you try setting your SATA ports to IDE/Legacy (or some similar wording) mode in the BIOS?  WHS should then recognize the drives as PATA drives and you won't need to supply drivers at all.
    Friday, April 9, 2010 1:30 AM

You can use a USB stick or copy the drivers to a CD-ROM.
    --
    Friday, April 9, 2010 9:10 AM
  • The second time am supposed to load the drivers as per the provided link: http://albal21.wordpress.com/2010/02/09/setting-up-windows-home-server-with-alternative-disk-drivers/ , the only option I have is to load from an A drive. 

I have finally ascertained the correct drivers with the famed txtsetup.oem file... now i just have to load them on a floppy.

My current config:

Disk 0 - 80gb IDE (WHS installed here)

PCI 2x SATA card (the motherboard is older and does not have any sata ports)

Disk 1 - 2tb that I added as "extended storage drive" to WHS

Disk 2 - 750gb drive that I have in the machine as an additional drive, not added as extended storage or backup in WHS

During the initial part of the setup when i selected to "restore server" instead of "new installation", the notice said that I would lose all programs, shared folders, backups, non-duplicated conten, etct... is that true for Disk 0 (I understand this is formatted for install) or Disk 0 AND Disk 1? Will I lose all the data I transferred to the Disk 1 extended storage)?

My goal was to unload the 750gb drive to the 2tb, and then add the 750 as a backup.

As another question... the drives added as "Backup" (instead of extended storage) is what is used for the WHS duplicate folder functionaity, right?

Thanks again for all your help.

Friday, April 9, 2010 9:41 AM
  • I am sure I've used a usb stick before - but it may have been one of those that was detected as a floppy drive.
    --
    Friday, April 9, 2010 9:46 AM
  • The saga continues...

I was able to reinstall WHS with a server restore. 

When I boot up and open with console, i see the "extended" drive in under "server storage".

I also see all my shared folders... however when i try to access any of them, i receive this error:

\\Server\FOLDER is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

This network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

I noticed that if i plug this machine into the network, I can then access the files...but that seems very odd to me. Can i not access the files, unless I am connected to the network?

Do i need to reinstall the connector disk on this client machines? In Console > User Accounts

Monday, April 12, 2010 4:41 PM
  • try using \\localhost\Folder  - you have to be on a network to use the hostname.
    --
    Monday, April 12, 2010 5:09 PM