xp home edition RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have xp home edition on my sons lap top when you switch it on it brings up a black screen asking if I want to start up in safe mode when I select it it flashes very quickly so you can not read what it says looks like it is going to start up then goes back to the black screen again asking if I want to start up in safe mode I can not do any thing with it to move on this has happened after it was shut down and microsoft message came up as we chose to shut down saying it had 5 updates to do and it would shut down automatically and since then I can not operate the lap top - please advise what I should do. thanks Michelle
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:38 PM

Answers

• Michellep,

On the Advanced Boot Options screen (the black screen with the plain white lettering) choose the option "Last Known Good Configuration" and try that.

It would seem that one of the Updates did not agree with your system, so Last Known Good is a way to start the computer using the configuration that was working before it was changed by the Updates.

If that does not work, again, on the black screen, one of the other choices should be something like "Disable automatic restart on system failure."  Choose that option, and then restart.  It won't fix the problem but it will get the computer to stop when it gets to the problem and then display what is lovingly known as the "Blue Screen of Death."  The BSOD will have important STOP ERROR codes at the top that will assist a knowledgeable support person in troubleshooting.

Post back to tell us if it worked for you.

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:14 PM
  • Michellep,

Microsoft doesn't provide technical support for computers. Hardware and software support will be provided by the manufacturer of your particular system. The software is OEM and support is provided by the manufacturer. Please contact the Technical Support section for the manufacturer of the laptop. It appears the problem you are experiencing is hardware which requires the correct software drivers. In turn after installed this should allow your system to function as designed

:-).  Thank you and hopefully this will point you in the right directions for resolving what you are currently experiencing.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:51 PM

All replies

• Michellep,

On the Advanced Boot Options screen (the black screen with the plain white lettering) choose the option "Last Known Good Configuration" and try that.

It would seem that one of the Updates did not agree with your system, so Last Known Good is a way to start the computer using the configuration that was working before it was changed by the Updates.

If that does not work, again, on the black screen, one of the other choices should be something like "Disable automatic restart on system failure."  Choose that option, and then restart.  It won't fix the problem but it will get the computer to stop when it gets to the problem and then display what is lovingly known as the "Blue Screen of Death."  The BSOD will have important STOP ERROR codes at the top that will assist a knowledgeable support person in troubleshooting.

Post back to tell us if it worked for you.

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:14 PM
  • I have found the recovery disk that came with the lap top and it has reinstalled xp but the computer has no files that we put on so I have installed all my bits like routers and printers, security  etc... but it has not installed any sound devices can you please help with this and some games wont play that did before is there perhaps something else that needs to be down loaded can you please advise.

Michelle Plumtree

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:33 PM
  • Michellep,

Microsoft doesn't provide technical support for computers. Hardware and software support will be provided by the manufacturer of your particular system. The software is OEM and support is provided by the manufacturer. Please contact the Technical Support section for the manufacturer of the laptop. It appears the problem you are experiencing is hardware which requires the correct software drivers. In turn after installed this should allow your system to function as designed

:-).  Thank you and hopefully this will point you in the right directions for resolving what you are currently experiencing.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:51 PM
  • Michelle,

Stephen's post is exactly right, this forum is not intended to help you with that type of problem.

However there are many forums out there where you can get assistance.

You can of course try the customer-to-customer support forums at the support site run by your computer manufacturer.

You can try general computing help forums.  Try the one in my signature......

Monday, December 31, 2007 8:33 PM