HTTP 404 every time RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I try to log in as .../profile/nearearthobject/ I receive message HTTP 404, when using IE11 (similar messages in other browsers).

Is it temporary, or is there some other issue?

Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• I don't see any activity.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/nearearthobject/activity

Usually when I see this its because an account was banned.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, January 19, 2014 6:19 PM

• Usually when I see this its because an account was banned.

The word usually means that you don't know.

The profile page, as well as the thread page don't bring any information that the account is banned (and the original avatar is changed).

If it is this way, the information 'banned' should be there, somewhere, and why.

Does anyone know the answer?

The word usually just means  a supposition...

...and redirecting the log in page to HTTP 404 is not acceptable; is like cowardice - doing something and pretending not doing it.

Does anyone know the answer?

Monday, January 20, 2014 6:19 PM
  • I found this old thread of mine: Forums/en-US/230800ee-d535-44e0-9640-d6c517cff389.

It's deleted, which means to me that someone didn't like it.

It's title is: Acer is moving away.

At that time, a lot of e-mags where stating just that, inclusive the WSJ.

Probably, some immature mvp doesn't know to discuss like a mature adult.

But the reality tells us that some important employees are moving away (or have already moved away) too...

...and replacing a ceo has been a difficult task.

It's better keep things this way, because immature mvp's always sucks.

Added: I'm closing down this account too.

Another addition: google for search?q=acer+moving+away and you'll find plenty of articles stating that, at that time.

Monday, January 20, 2014 6:26 PM
  • If you want a definitive answer, you'll need to contact the forums team. Send an email to fissues (at) microsoft [dot] com.

EDIT: BTW, MVPs can't just ban any user they want. In fact, I'm pretty sure actual moderators have no banning ability either, all they can do is make a request to the forum admins.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,575+ strong and growing)

Monday, January 20, 2014 6:29 PM
  • If you want a definitive answer, you'll need to contact the forums team. Send an email to fissues (at) microsoft [dot] com.

EDIT: BTW, MVPs can't just ban any user they want. In fact, I'm pretty sure moderators have no banning ability either, all they can do is make a request to the forum admins.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,575+ strong and growing)

That's a good answer, I'll do that.

Anyway, it'd be interesting that the login page bring the information; redirecting a page to HTTP404 is not correct, thanks.

Monday, January 20, 2014 6:33 PM

HTTP 404 means that the server exists but the page doesn't.

This exists, which proves there is an account with that name.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/browseusers?userName=nearearthobject

although the avatar for it does not exist.  It also says that that the user has made 4 posts.

But when I go here there are none shown. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/nearearthobject/activity

Those facts could be consistent with a "been banned" hypothesis (or perhaps more like an account in the preliminary stages of being banned).  We would have to ask someone who has actually been through the process to know for sure what its symptoms are.  <eg>

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 20, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Correct I have no way of knowing for sure as we don't have that power. It's just been my experience here so far. You'll need to get in touch with fissues at Microsoft dot com to find out.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:18 AM
  • The 'been banned' hypothesis is the most probable explanation for 10 points and no Activity page.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:59 PM
  • Not sure why you chose to be abusive, but anyway, I can tell quite certainly that 0 activity in the user's profile means that the user has been banned. It is easy to check by sending email to fissues at microsoft dot com.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:19 PM