Project Server 2010 Pre requisites RRS feed

• Question

• I was bit surprised while installting Project Server 2010, that it requires SharePoint 2010 Enterprise edition. I am confused why an organization who just need Project Server 2010 also buy SharePoint 2010 Enterprise edition? If SharePoint is mandatory then Foundation can also work in that case, then why Enterprise edition? Whereas Project Server 2007 didnt have such sort of requirement. I would appreciate to have some responses on it.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:40 AM

Answers

• Microsoft determines the requirements.  As it is, Project Server 2010 is
    highly dependent on the 2010 SharePoint BI features - which are only available
    in Enterprise.

It's a discussion that has taken place many times in the past, and I am pretty
    sure that this depenency won't change for the remainder of this release,
    and have no visibility into the next release regarding this topic.

I am not sure what else there is to add to the topic, honestly.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:47 PM

All replies

• Microsoft determines the requirements.  As it is, Project Server 2010 is
    highly dependent on the 2010 SharePoint BI features - which are only available
    in Enterprise.

It's a discussion that has taken place many times in the past, and I am pretty
    sure that this depenency won't change for the remainder of this release,
    and have no visibility into the next release regarding this topic.

I am not sure what else there is to add to the topic, honestly.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Just to add to what Andrew said, Since now project and portfolio server has been integrated, there is a workflow involved, and which needs customization to be accomodated as per org needs, it could be pretty complex and need not be just simple basic workflow like one we had in WSS, hence for having those complex customized workflows in place enterprise edition is required
    Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:51 PM