locked
Change Credential used for Remote Web Access RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've have my homeserver setup now for a while, but I still have a few PC's I can't log into on the homeserver home screen.  All my PC's use the same username and passwords.  However some are setup to use my microsoft account as well.  6 of my 7 PC's are running Win 8.1 Pro (3 with Media Center), and the last is running Win 7 Ultimate.  The PC's I can't log into with Remote Web Access are running Win 8.1 Pro (no Media Center on them).  They show up fine on the homeserver screen, but when I click to log on to them, after I click connect on the verify publisher screen, I get the following error stating the specified user name doesn't exist.  Sometimes I get this on the other PC's, but I get the chance to change user and type in a different password.

     

    I notice that if I click the "Show Details" on the verify publisher dialog, that the credential it's trying to use are those to my Microsoft Live Account.  Is there a way to change these?  A regular Remote Desktop Connection you can, but I don't see anyplace to do this here.  I don't know if that's the problem or not anyway.  At least if it gave me the option to enter a different username and password if the first didn't work (like other PC's do), I could get past this.  Is there a setting for this someplace?

    Wednesday, November 5, 2014 5:57 PM

Answers

  • I just found my own answer. The Credential Manager on the machine your using to connect to the client (ie my work pc that I brought up the homeserver web page) stores the username and password that RWA tries to use to connect.  I tried editing the credentials, and that didn't work, so I just deleted the whole entry.  Then it didn't have anything stored, so it prompted me to enter them.  I still entered my Microsoft account info, and it worked.  However I did check the "Remember My Credentials" check box, and the next time I tried to remote in, it didn't accept them again.  So I deleted the entry in the Credential Manager, and I'm entering the username and password (for my Microsoft Account) every time I want to connect.  Weird that it works to save the credentials for some of my 7 PC's but not for all of them.  All but 1 are running Win8.1.  Any ideas as to why that's happening?
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, November 17, 2014 5:49 AM
    Thursday, November 6, 2014 1:13 PM
  • Hi,

    àI just deleted the whole entry. Then it didn't have anything stored, so it prompted me to enter them.

    Great! Glad to hear that you have solved this issue and thanks for sharing in the forum. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

    à The specific user name dose not exist. Verify the user name and try logging in again.

    à However I did check the "Remember My Credentials" check box, and the next time I tried to remote in, it didn't accept them again.

    Based on the error message and your description, it seems that the RDP connection failed when there were cached credentials. Please uncheck "Remember My Credentials” option and check if this issue still exists.

    By the way, in Local Group Policy Editor, please follow the path: Computer Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> System-> Credentials Delegation and also check if those policy settings can help you.

    If any update, please feel free to let me know.

    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,

    Justin Gu

    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, November 17, 2014 5:49 AM
    Friday, November 7, 2014 2:05 AM

All replies

  • I just found my own answer. The Credential Manager on the machine your using to connect to the client (ie my work pc that I brought up the homeserver web page) stores the username and password that RWA tries to use to connect.  I tried editing the credentials, and that didn't work, so I just deleted the whole entry.  Then it didn't have anything stored, so it prompted me to enter them.  I still entered my Microsoft account info, and it worked.  However I did check the "Remember My Credentials" check box, and the next time I tried to remote in, it didn't accept them again.  So I deleted the entry in the Credential Manager, and I'm entering the username and password (for my Microsoft Account) every time I want to connect.  Weird that it works to save the credentials for some of my 7 PC's but not for all of them.  All but 1 are running Win8.1.  Any ideas as to why that's happening?
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, November 17, 2014 5:49 AM
    Thursday, November 6, 2014 1:13 PM
  • Hi,

    àI just deleted the whole entry. Then it didn't have anything stored, so it prompted me to enter them.

    Great! Glad to hear that you have solved this issue and thanks for sharing in the forum. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

    à The specific user name dose not exist. Verify the user name and try logging in again.

    à However I did check the "Remember My Credentials" check box, and the next time I tried to remote in, it didn't accept them again.

    Based on the error message and your description, it seems that the RDP connection failed when there were cached credentials. Please uncheck "Remember My Credentials” option and check if this issue still exists.

    By the way, in Local Group Policy Editor, please follow the path: Computer Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> System-> Credentials Delegation and also check if those policy settings can help you.

    If any update, please feel free to let me know.

    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,

    Justin Gu

    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, November 17, 2014 5:49 AM
    Friday, November 7, 2014 2:05 AM