Help: Cannot start backup RRS feed

• Question

• I configured a newly purchased USB external HD and OneCare will not start the backup. It goes through the process of determining the files to back up and prompts to Start Backup. I click Start Backup and shortly thereafter I get the Windows Live OneCare warning dialog: Windows Live OneCare has encountered an error and will close. Is there a place I can look to get more information about the actual error? I found nothing in the Event Viewer. Thanks for any help with this.
    Friday, January 2, 2009 11:18 AM

Answers

• Were you doing backup to another destination previously? If so, try the following:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

If you have not yet done backup and are getting the error, the specifics of the error may be located in the OneCare support logs - open OneCare, change settings, Logging tab, create support log. Scroll to the backup section of the report that opens in your web browser. However, i suspect that the logs won't contain anything about the error.

I recommend that you contact support if the above change settings routine does not resolve the problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 2, 2009 1:53 PM

All replies

• Were you doing backup to another destination previously? If so, try the following:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

If you have not yet done backup and are getting the error, the specifics of the error may be located in the OneCare support logs - open OneCare, change settings, Logging tab, create support log. Scroll to the backup section of the report that opens in your web browser. However, i suspect that the logs won't contain anything about the error.

I recommend that you contact support if the above change settings routine does not resolve the problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Friday, January 2, 2009 1:53 PM
  • In addition to the above, you may also try simply restarting the computer before trying a backup again.

-steve
    Friday, January 2, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Thanks for that Steve.   I was pulling out my hair trying to figure out the problem.  The only thing I had done prior to this error message was that I re-formated the external drive.  Your sugguested solution fixed the problem.
    frustrated Vista User
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Glad that it solved the problem! Thanks for reporting back.
    -steve
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:33 PM
  • I solved this just after writing this post and I think I did the steps you noted here along with other tasks. Thanks, it looks like others benefit from this too. Excellent work Stephen!

Another question. Do you know if there is any issue if I take the same external USB drive and try to do a OneCare backup on a different computer too? I suppose that OneCare is smart enough to keep them separate. Is this a fairly known scenario?
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Hello Barnaby Falls, you can move an external drive from computer to computer to perform One Care backups and they will be kept seperate.  
    Jim
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:39 PM
  • Barnaby Falls,
    In addition to Jim's reply, you can actually leave the external drive connected to a single computer and use that drive to have *all* PCs in your OneCare Circle back up to. That means that the PC hosting the drive needs to be configured as a Hub PC in the Circle and the other PCs need to be on the same local network and same Onecare subscription *and* the hub PC needs to be powered on when backup runs on the other PCs. This would be Centralized Backup.
    Moving the drive for single PC backup confiuguration will also work, of course, if you'd rather do that. OneCare will indeed keep each PCs backup unique, as JimR noted.
    -steve
    Monday, January 5, 2009 2:22 PM