Military Appreciation Edition 2007 software RRS feed

• Question

• I correctly purchased the software and loaded it on my vista machine.  I also purchased a 10.5 netbook acer machince.  the acer has a 60 day trial period which has expired.. i tried entering the product key of my military appreiciation version but the website did not recognize the product key. the acer does not nhave a disc  drive, so i can not load it locally.  Will the microsoft web site recognize the product key as my soiftware and allow me to use the software? 

Monday, December 7, 2009 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hello henrygee,

It's likely that the Acer netbook has a different edition of Office 2007 installed as the Trial--most often Office Home and Student 2007 is loaded as the Trial, and the Product Key for Office Standard 2007 MAE will not work to activate any other product besides itself.

Here's what to do.

Method 1 (should work but cannot say 100% for sure as I have not tested this myself).

1.  Uninstall the Trial from your Acer using the Add or Remove Programs applet in Control Panel.  Restart twice.

2.  Go to this Microsoft web page and download the Trial of Office Standard 2007:  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101674071033.aspx  When setup asks for the Product Key, use the one that came with your Office Standard 2007 MAE.

Method 2.

1.  On the Vista computer, insert the Office disc into the drive, and cancel any setup screens that may appear.

2.  Copy the entire contents of the disc to a flash drive.

3.  Move the flash drive to the netbook, then copy the contents of the CD now on the flash drive to a temporary folder on the netbook's hard disk drive.

4.  Run setup from this temporary folder.

With either method, choose the option within Office setup to save Office installation files to the netbook's hard disk drive, so that they will be available later if you need to enable a feature or reinstall/repair Office.

Method 3.

If you are a networking whiz and all machines are on the same network , just share the Vista computer's optical drive on the network, navigate to the Setup program from the Acer netbook thru the network share, and run it.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:52 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 4:08 PM