Wpf: how to equally distribute the available height among 2 expander controls in grid without any gray area RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Floating SplitPane, in which there are 3 expanders. The first expander has max of 3 rows of controls (label and textboxes) to display and needs to be displayed without a scroll.

And second and third expanders have one DataGrid each and the number of rows depends on filters available in the Pane. For example: there is Favorites button at the Pane level, clicking on this button will show only favorite marked rows in the dataGrid and thus, it may have less number of rows.

<UserControl> <Grid x:Name="Root" > <Grid.RowDefinitions> <RowDefinition Height="Auto" /> <RowDefinition Height="*" /> </Grid.RowDefinitions> <!-- Variables Expander --> <Expander x:Name="GeneralExpander" > <!-- Two labels and Textboxes --> </Expander> <Grid x:Name="ExpanderGrid" Grid.Row="1" VerticalAlignment="Top"> <Grid.RowDefinitions> <RowDefinition Height="Auto" /> <RowDefinition Height="*" /> </Grid.RowDefinitions> <Expander x:Name="ParamsExpander" Collapsed="OnParamsExpanderCollapsed" Expanded="OnParamsExpanderExpanded" IsExpanded="False" > <view:ParamsView x:Name="ParamsView" /> </Expander> <Expander x:Name="VariablesExpander" Grid.Row="1" Collapsed="OnVarsExpanderCollapsed" Expanded="OnVarsExpanderExpanded" IsExpanded="true"> <view:VarsView x:Name="VarsView" /> </Expander> </Grid> </Grid> </UserControl>

My requirement is to, equally distribute the available space between 2nd and 3rd expanders (when in expanded state). For which I have below events in code-behind.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x-no4PS2hXev4s6QxqZoAbaRgliGNf2Q/view?usp=sharing

QUESTION: But when I click on "Favorites" Star button, if any of them need only less height to display datagrid; the other expander needs to occupy the empty space instead of showing grey area.

Please give me some idea on how to achieve this (either from XAML or code-behind) and let me know if any other details required! Thanks in Advance.

What I have tried:

I have tried Collapsed and Expanded events to set "50*" for both the rows to equally distribute height. But it fails when one of the expander have very less records to show. It shows Gray area, as "50*" looks like not a right setting.

private void OnParamsExpanderExpanded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
    {
        if (this.paramLoadRequired)
        {
            this.paramLoadRequired = false;
            // Populate respective datagrid rows
        }

if (VarExpander.IsExpanded)
        {
            // Expander Grid rows (Params and Vars expanders) with equal height
            ExpanderGrid.RowDefinitions[0].Height = new GridLength(50, GridUnitType.Star);
            ExpanderGrid.RowDefinitions[1].Height = new GridLength(50, GridUnitType.Star);
            return;
        }

ExpanderGrid.RowDefinitions[0].Height = GetStarGridLength();
        ExpanderGrid.RowDefinitions[1].Height = GetAutoGridLength();
    }

private void OnVarsExpanderExpanded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
    {
        if (ParamsExpander.IsExpanded)
        {
            // Expander Grid rows (Params and Vars expanders) with equal height
            ExpanderGrid.RowDefinitions[0].Height = new GridLength(50, GridUnitType.Star);
            ExpanderGrid.RowDefinitions[1].Height = new GridLength(50, GridUnitType.Star);
            return;
        }

ExpanderGrid.RowDefinitions[1].Height = GetStarGridLength();
        ExpanderGrid.RowDefinitions[0].Height = GetAutoGridLength();
    }

private void OnVarsExpanderCollapsed(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
    {
        // When Vars collapsed, need to adjust the height of Params expander to occupy full available height
    }

private void OnParamsExpanderCollapsed(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
    {
        // When Params collapsed, need to adjust the height of Vars expander to occupy full available height
    }

Thursday, November 26, 2020 6:20 PM

All replies