Update of Virus and Spy-ware definitions does not work RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have two computers on a home network running OneCare.  One uses the most latest version of XP that is up to date.  The other uses the latest version of Vista that is up to date.  On the AM of Saturday, 2/9 the status of OneCare on both computers turned red, indicating that the Virus and Spy-Ware definitions need to be updated.  Neither automatic nor manual update works....  Requests seem to go to the server, but no actual update occurs.  No messages are displayed.  The Status just stays red with the indication that the definitions need to be updated.

Both computers having the same problem is kinda suspicious.  I was wondering if there is a OneCare software or Server problem that will be fixed automatically?

I am at the point where the only option left is for me to uninstall and re-install OneCare.  Something I would like to avoid if I just end up with the same issue.

Thanks

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:14 PM

Answers

• Well, part of the problem is that you *should* be on version 2.0.2500.22 at this point and not on v1.6.

So, my recommendation is to follow the steps here:

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

There was a problem with the signature updates to 1.6 clients, but that should now be fixed, to the best of my knowledge.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:35 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem.  My one care icon in the toolbar is red and when clicked on, says one care needs updating.  Yet when clicked on the reply is updates can not be downloaded.  I tried the help menu, it suggested restarting my computer.  That did not help.  I then tried several of the other suggestions, which seemed kind of techinical to me, and none of them worked.  I then went to Microsoft web site looking for updates to one care that I could download, but found nothing.  What's up here?

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:26 PM
  • EXACTLY the same problem here.   Both of my Dell home computers displayed the red icon(s) on start-up this morning and while I can see (via the little freeware utility called NetMeter) that my requests for update are getting to the OneCare server and that data is coming back,  the programme refuses to respond.   I have XP Pro on one PC and Vista on the other.  The fact that both PCs are displaying the problem leads me to conclude that the OneCare server is at fault and disinclines me also to try a OneCare reinstall.  I tried downloading and installing two fixes suggested by Microsoft - CaclsDeleteDB and AntiMalwareRepair - but to no avail.
    Monday, February 11, 2008 12:09 AM
  • I am also experiencing the same problems. I had this happen about a month ago to my PC at work. The only fix was to uninstall OneCare and re-install with the latest version. It solved the problem but I have had nothing but problems with that PC since. The latest version of OneCare is causing lots of browser and firewall errors and I have had a ton of problems with high CPU usage ever since. Scans were taking days and back-ups were freezing the computer.

I hope there is a fix to my current version (1.6.2111.12) because if I have to do a re-install, it won't be with OneCare. 

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:09 AM
  • Well, part of the problem is that you *should* be on version 2.0.2500.22 at this point and not on v1.6.

So, my recommendation is to follow the steps here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

There was a problem with the signature updates to 1.6 clients, but that should now be fixed, to the best of my knowledge.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:35 AM
  • 24 hours later and I start both PCs to find the auto-update working and my icons once more green and healthy.  The Moderator's report implies though that the current version "should" be 1.6.   My version is 1.5.1890.   Doesn't Microsoft automatically carry out housekeeping on my installation to keep the base p[rogram up to date just as it automatically updates virus definitions etc?

I have to say that this virus update problem is the first naughtiness in 11 months!!!
    Monday, February 11, 2008 8:04 AM
  •  TamCroose wrote:
    24 hours later and I start both PCs to find the auto-update working and my icons once more green and healthy.  The Moderator's report implies though that the current version "should" be 1.6.   My version is 1.5.1890.   Doesn't Microsoft automatically carry out housekeeping on my installation to keep the base p[rogram up to date just as it automatically updates virus definitions etc?

I have to say that this virus update problem is the first naughtiness in 11 months!!!

It is supposed to upgrade automatically, but it would appear that your installations are stuck at 1.5 due to a problem on the client side.

I would recommend that you uninstall and reinstall OneCare to get to the latest version. Use the cleanup tool after the uninstall to make sure that all residual files are removed - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Install from http://onecare.live.com and activate with the same LiveID used to originally subscribe.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Well, I didn't do anything other use a different internet connection.  I use a different internet service over the weekend while on a business trip.  It was on the trip that I couldn't update my virius protection.  I am looking at the internet provider as being my problem.  Thanks for the help. wyojbear

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:56 PM
  •  Jerry A. Howle wrote:
    Well, I didn't do anything other use a different internet connection.  I use a different internet service over the weekend while on a business trip.  It was on the trip that I couldn't update my virius protection.  I am looking at the internet provider as being my problem.  Thanks for the help. wyojbear

Jerry, if you are not on the latest version of OneCare, 2.0.2500.x, you encountered a problem with the update server that affected all subscribers still on an older version who had not updated definitions within 10 days - you got a warning, but updates failed as there were none for your version until the fixed the server side problem.

If you are on the latest version of OneCare, then it would have been a connectivity problem with the ISP, I suspect.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:30 PM
  • Hello,

I am also having trouble with the definitions not updating.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled this program four times.  I have followed suggestions on other posts about things to try.  The last time I was online was five days ago and I let it stay connected for 25 minutes (I have a dial-up connection).  It looked like it had updated all it was going to do.  Now tonight I turn on the computer and it says the definitions are 'out of date' and it won't update them.  My patience is at an end with this program.  I'm going to switch to something that works better. 

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:41 AM
  •  13BarbP wrote:

Hello,

I am also having trouble with the definitions not updating.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled this program four times.  I have followed suggestions on other posts about things to try.  The last time I was online was five days ago and I let it stay connected for 25 minutes (I have a dial-up connection).  It looked like it had updated all it was going to do.  Now tonight I turn on the computer and it says the definitions are 'out of date' and it won't update them.  My patience is at an end with this program.  I'm going to switch to something that works better. 

Reinstalling continually to resolve ongoing update problems indicates to me that there is something interfering with the update process on your PC. Updates via dial-up should work fine, though some updates will take longer than others to download and apply. Since a reinstall did not resolve it for you, I strongly recommend that you contact OneCare support to determine why updates are continually failing on your PC.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:28 PM
  •  

Stephen,

Thanks for the post...  I uninstall OneCare and re-installed the latest version and all is working fine.

From the other posts, it looks like a number of us have the issue that OneCare did not automatically update to the newest version.  Not sure why I would have the same problem on 2 different PCs running different Windows OS and totally different software used by two adults for totally different reasons.  One would think that we would have gotten some kinda notice that an update did not work or that one was available when we run Microsoft Update, something we do religiously...

Anyway....  I kinda liked the older version of OneCare better and can't seem to find answers to my questions about  scheduling...  If I understand OneCare's operation correctly, Tune-up will delete unnecessary files, defrag the disks, scan for Viruses and Spy-ware and execute the back-up plan.  Is this correct?

If so, I can't seem to locate a discussion about why there are separate schedules whose execution date and time seem to be a requirement when a back-up plan is created and for Virus and Spy-ware protection scans.  Can OneCare be set up so that these scheduled activities only run when Tune-Up is executed?

Also, I was very disappointed to see that Back-Up now only backs-up data files.  It would have been nice to give the user a choice.  I really prefer to do a complete back-up of my entire system, followed by weekly back-ups of those files that have changed since the full last back-up.

Thanks again for the help,

Mike

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Thanks for reporting that your issue was with the 2.0 upgrade failing. I think that the error you would encountered was that a required update was unable to be installed...

You can schedule backup to be independent of tune-up. If you are using CD/DVD for backup it can only be set to remind you at tune-up. You are correct on the other items that OneCare does during Tune-up. You can turn off backup and delete files, but the rest can't be turned off. There is one other scheduled item and that is the daily scan for viruses and spyware, which typically runs for about 5 to 10 minutes in the background at the scheduled time or shortly after startup if the last scheduled time was missed.

You're not alone with the complaints of the changes to backup, but note that OneCare *never* did a system backup and only backed up data. However, there was a loophole previously that allowed you to select a folder or branch of folders and the entire contents were backed up despite the settings for the types. That option has been removed since programs and system files backed up in this manner were useless in the event of a restore. The biggest remaining backup complaint is the inability to backup data files from \Program Files and \Windows except those designated by OneCare (and not configurable by us) as residing in these locations and included in the backup plan when the matching file type has been selected.

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:28 PM
  • I ahve recently installed version 2 of onecare after my PC suffered a total system failure through a virus attack.

It ahs worked fine up until 4 days ago when it went into red mode quoting that the virus and spyware needs updating.

When i connect to the dial up it greys out the update options and says it is updating the files but after several hours nothing has happened. i have tried everthing but a total uninstall and reinstall, any thoughts on why this is not updating.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:56 PM
  • If you've tried everything here:

...short of a reinstall, then you can either go that route or contact support.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:55 PM
  • I have the exact same issue as Noddy555.  WLOC in RED status - as soon as I connect to the internet (dial-up) the "Check for Updates" (under Protection Plus) greys out and changes to "Checking for Updates" and but never finds anything and never stops checking.  I have had this problem since Monday and have been connected for many hours at a time (5 hours once) constantly "Checking for Updates". 

On Tuesday, I was able to download and install other Windows updates using "Windows Update" in Control Panel.  When I check for further updates using WU - I am told that there are no more updates.  Doesn't WLOC update through WU? 

I have had updating problems 3 times in the past - and those 3 prior times I reset the permissions using the tool suggested in troubleshooting which had a positive outcome - but only a temporarily positive outcome as the problem keeps returning.  I have been through troubleshooting in the hopes of a better & more permanent fix but so far, nothing better.  Resetting the permissions has the end result of nullifying the prior history of defrags/tune-ups/back-ups/etc which means I am having to do all of these things not only at the regular intervals sugested by WLOC (when it works) but also everytime I have to reset permissions because it resets in Yellow alert and I have to run all of those processes just to get back into Green.  This is time consuming and bothersome - which is exactly the opposite of what WLOC touts itself to be.

In frustration, I finally contacted support and after 25 hours the suggestion that was offered was that there was probably a problem with the installation (since August??) and I should uninstall & then reinstall, and re-contact him if I continue to have problems.  This seemed woefully unimpressive as a solution, as it really just seemed like it was step 1 from the Microsoft playbook and not a response to my specific problem.

What is being done to address this problem that will restore my faith in this product?  If I cannot get some better advice, I probably will follow my support rep's advice and unistall, however, I am really going to have to think twice about re-installing WLOC.  Instead I will probably just eat the financial loss and find another less time consuming/unreliable product and throw my eggs into that basket for awhile.

Any suggestions?

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:12 AM
  • Hello, puffintart.

Please open OneCare and click Help/About...

What is the version of OneCare that is listed?

OneCare updates don't come via Windows Update, but come from the OneCare servers. I'm sorry that this has been a recurring problem. Yes, the database reset is a pain and a reinstall even more painful, especially on dial-up.

It *is* possible that you are having a problem with the upgrade to the latest OneCare version, which is why support suggested the reinstall. I'll hold off recommending that unless you find that the version you have is 2.0.2500.14 - in that case, with the problems you've dealt with for the past week, I'd go with the reinstall and get the latest version.

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Hi Steve

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.  My version is 2.0.2500.22. 

Despite my better judgment, I'm going to give this one more shot by doing the uninstall, cleanup & reinstall.  Hopefully this resolves things once and for all.  If not, I'm going to be a very unhappy camper.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 4:49 AM
  • Yes, you are at the latest version. Since you've had update problems consistently, I think that it would be worth contacting support, though a reinstall is a functional "hit it with a hammer" solution.

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:28 PM
  • I had already contacted "support" previously and their advice was to reinstall, so I came here hunting for a more palatable solution. 

At any rate, I can now report back about an excrutiatingly long reinstall process, but the good news is OneCare appears to be operating normally.  For now...

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:18 AM
  •  puffintart wrote:

I had already contacted "support" previously and their advice was to reinstall, so I came here hunting for a more palatable solution. 

At any rate, I can now report back about an excrutiatingly long reinstall process, but the good news is OneCare appears to be operating normally.  For now...

I'm sorry about the painful reinstall process. :-(

If you encounter the problem again, please update this thread and we'll look at getting your support data looked at - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2512403&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:22 PM