Optimal left-right pair setup for fast desktop to laptop sync RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have a typical Synctoy 2 setup to keep my laptop and desktop in sync. Just wondering what the optimal left-right pairing shoud be to maximise performance (i.e. minimise time to sync).

Should I have the desktop as the left folder, and laptop as right folder, or vice-versa?

I use the desktop during the day to work on files, then want to continue working at home on tha laptop, and when on the road (sound familiar?!?). I run a 'syncronise' everyday before going home from work, so does not really matter which way around it is.

Specs for the machines are:

Desktop:

2 x Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200rpm, 16mb cache SATA HDD in RAID 1. 2.66GHz Intel quad core CPU, 8 GB RAM, 64-bit Vista Business

Laptop:

1 x WD Scorpio Black 320GB, 7200rpm, 8mb cache SATA HDD, 2.4GHz Intel dual core, 3 GB RAM, 32-bit Vista Business

Just want to minimise the sync time each day! 'MyDocuments' folder is around 50GB, but probably make less than 100mb changes on a typical day. Will it make any difference. Is Synctoy HDD or CPU-bound?

Many thanks,

Kenji

www.ktakeda.net

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Kenji -

Given your configuration - I am not sure you will see much of a difference in either configuration ( assuming that the connection between your laptop and desktop is fast and stable).

If I had to pick one for you I would go with your laptop because I am assuming that you are likely doing work on your desktop as you run the Synchronize in the background and SyncToy will run as one of the few active applications on your laptop. But if you think you really do not have much going on when you are sychronizing - pick your desktop then because of the better configuration.

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Kenji -

Given your configuration - I am not sure you will see much of a difference in either configuration ( assuming that the connection between your laptop and desktop is fast and stable).

If I had to pick one for you I would go with your laptop because I am assuming that you are likely doing work on your desktop as you run the Synchronize in the background and SyncToy will run as one of the few active applications on your laptop. But if you think you really do not have much going on when you are sychronizing - pick your desktop then because of the better configuration.

Thanks

Deepa

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:16 PM
  •  

Thanks for that Deepa. As it happens the desktop isn't used that heavily, i.e. I can run the sync when I'm making a cup of coffee. So I've set it up with SyncToy on the desktop and its running really fast. I think the fast HDD and CPU on the desktop help.

Really love SyncToy 2.0 RTM BTW, and it's running beautifully on x64 (desktop)! I used to use Memeo AutoBackup but had all sorts of issues with it, so this is what I've been waiting for Smile

Cheers,

Kenji

www.ktakeda.net

Friday, August 29, 2008 8:19 AM
  • Hey i need help, I have Windows Vista, and i don't know how to set up my computer so i can download Microsoft Activesync, cuz it doesn't work, please help me!!!
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:37 PM