none
[UWP] My app icon is sometimes shown for other apps! RRS feed

• Question

• I don't think this is a specific UWP problem but it occurs with my UWP app and I don't know where else to submit this bug.

Basically, it appears that Windows will sometimes display the icon of the default photo viewing app (more specifically I'm guessing the default app for opening .ico files) instead of the correct icon file for another app and it's associated file types. This seems to occur commonly with Adobe Reader DC and PDF files. For example, see this StackOverflow post - https://superuser.com/questions/952345/wrong-icons-displayed-in-windows-10. 

Now my app is a Photo viewing app that can open .ico files, so in fact it is possible for this to happen when a user sets my app as the default photo viewer. All .pdf file icons, and the Adobe Reader DC icon in the start menu get replaced with the icon for my app. This is obviously quite rare and I don't know how to reproduce it. However, what I can say is that it did happen to me a while ago, but I assumed that was something to do with the development process messing things up or something. I just recently had a review by a user saying after installing my app they couldn't open PDF files using Adobe Reader, and after a bit of back and forth it turns out that it was just the icons that were mixed up as I described.

Please could you submit this issue to the relevant team. Even if there is a problem with the icon for Adobe Reader DC, please don't show my app's icon in place of it!!! This results in negative reviews of my app with customers saying it forces them to open PDFs with my app (event though my app doesn't open PDFs)!

Also, if you can suggest a fix that I can give to the user who wrote the review, that would be useful.

Thanks.

Monday, October 30, 2017 2:40 PM

All replies

• Please file a bug in the Feedback Hub, ideally on a system showing the problem.

For help with using Windows please post in the Windows forums on http://answers.microsoft.com 

Monday, October 30, 2017 5:30 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I will try the Feedback Hub but to me using the Feedback Hub feels a bit like broadcasting messages into space in the hope that one day aliens will receive them and respond. Also, I'm not asking for help with using Windows, I'm trying to report a bug (and I suppose trying to find out how to work around a bug, but I think calling that 'help with using Windows' is putting a rather over-positive spin on it).
    Monday, October 30, 2017 5:49 PM