bluetooth Keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I intend to use my WHS 2011 as a pure home server, but I would also like to have a Bluetooth Connectivity for my Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. Is there any possiblity I can do that in Windows Home Server 2011?? I have a IO gear dongle which works fine on Win 7 but cannot be installed on WHS 2011.

Chintan Shah
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:44 PM

Answers

• I realised the best option is to use RF Keyboard from Logitech, as the receiver which comes with it installs the module to activate the RF. It is the Logitech Wireless Keyboard K400.

Chintan Shah

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Friday, May 25, 2012 11:40 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:07 PM

All replies

• Not sure if WHS 2011 can support Bluetooth but I would consider what you are proposing a waste of a bluetooth mouse and keyboard as you will only ever use them during installation (and they will not be supported by the BIOS) or when something goes wrong.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Monday, July 11, 2011 11:07 PM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Not sure about the OP, but I'm using my WHS 2011 as my media center also.  I can't get my bluetooth keyboard to work either.  Doesn't WHS 2011 support bluetooth?

Thanks.

Bob Y.

Monday, September 12, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Windows Home Server doesn't make a very good media center; if you want a home theater PC you would be much better off with Windows 7 Home Premium for that role. What Windows Home Server will give you is central storage, client backup, and DLNA streaming.

As for getting bluetooth to work, you can force the Windows 7 x64 drivers to install, but you'll have to bypass driver signature enforcement every time you boot your server (such as after an automatic update). I can't recommend the effort... 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Edited by Ken Warren Monday, September 12, 2011 1:17 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Monday, September 12, 2011 2:49 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 1:14 PM
  • What I like about WHS 2011, is the ability to go on name.homeserver.com and access everything in one place. Do you know of any such feature on Windows 7?

My main purpose of having WHS2011 is to host all my media at one location; so that I and my family across different state can view it from website(this avoids uploading anything to Social Media Sites). With this purpose resolved; when I am at home; I like to watch a movie from Home Server(as it is connected to T.V.); but moving up to type the web address from wired keyboard frustrates me sometimes.

I may be asking a bit too much, but I want WHS feature of accessing media over the internet and bluetooth functionality....is this both possible?

Chintan Shah
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Microsoft would say, and I would agree, that you should use a DLNA compatible device such as an Xbox 360, Playstation, or NMP, or use a home computer with Windows Media Center (i.e. use a HTPC) for your media viewing. Microsoft might say this mostly because they want to sell more software and operating systems, but I agree with them because the playback user interface is much better with a device intended for playing media, as opposed to one intended for storing media and supplying (i.e. streaming) media to playback devices. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:26 PM
  • I realised the best option is to use RF Keyboard from Logitech, as the receiver which comes with it installs the module to activate the RF. It is the Logitech Wireless Keyboard K400.

Chintan Shah

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Friday, May 25, 2012 11:40 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:07 PM