Windows XP Pro Validation RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a Windows Geniune Advantage Kit for XP Pro.  I am having some computer difficulties that have required me to reload the OS here in the last couple of days.  Now it says my Product Key is already in use and will not let me use it to pass validation.  Is there a limit to how many times I can install the OS?  How do I get it to accept my valid product key?  DO I have to get it reset or something from Micorsoft?  Thanks for the help!

Steve

Sunday, April 15, 2007 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Red,

You are permitted to reinstall and activate XP as many times as you want to, as long as your use of XP maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

After a certain number of activations within a certain time period, automatic online activation will be suspended, which will require that you do a Telephone Activation.

Start the Activation Wizard by following this clickpath:  Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activate Windows.  (If for some reason the menu entry is missing:  Start>Run, type oobe/msoobe.exe /a and click OK.)  Choose Activate Windows by Telephone and follow the prompts.  If the automated telephone activation is not accepted, you will be offered the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Choose that option.  The rep will ask a few questions for the purpose of confirming that you are still using your license for XP in accordance with the EULA.  If so, the rep will issue an activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:26 AM

All replies

• Red Dawg,

Are you using the XP CDROM that was sent to you as part of the WGA Kit?

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Hi Red,

You are permitted to reinstall and activate XP as many times as you want to, as long as your use of XP maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

After a certain number of activations within a certain time period, automatic online activation will be suspended, which will require that you do a Telephone Activation.

Start the Activation Wizard by following this clickpath:  Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activate Windows.  (If for some reason the menu entry is missing:  Start>Run, type oobe/msoobe.exe /a and click OK.)  Choose Activate Windows by Telephone and follow the prompts.  If the automated telephone activation is not accepted, you will be offered the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Choose that option.  The rep will ask a few questions for the purpose of confirming that you are still using your license for XP in accordance with the EULA.  If so, the rep will issue an activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:26 AM