Error While Retrieving Information From Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to Visual Studio and SQL Server and am going through a learning process.  I have created a new database on a remote SQL Server.  From a client computer, I can display (Server Explorer - show table data) a data grid of data from the remote server without any problem.  The Visual Studio and SQL Server I am using are both version 2008.

I have run into a problem which I can’t seem to resolve. I hope that somebody can give me some direction as to how to solve this problem.

My Problem:  When I attempt to create a new Data Source by the following steps I receive an Exception Error.

1)      On the Data menu, click Add New Data Source.

2)      In the Data Source Configuration Wizard dialog box, click Database.

3)      On Choose Your Data Connection page, click New Connection.

4)      In the Choose Data Source dialog box, click Microsoft SQL Server.

5)      In the Add Connection dialog box add a connection with the following settings and click OK.

Server Name:  Sparky\Sparky

Connect to a database:  Select from drop down list, ACDREGDB

6)      In the Data Source Configuration Wizard dialog box,

Sparky\Sparky.ACDREGDB.dbo is displayed as the “Connect to” Database. Save

AS ACDREGDBConnection1 is displayed.  Click Next.

7)      I am presented with the Choose Your Database Objects page and the following

error occurs.

An error occured while retrieving the information from the database

The type initializer for

'Microsoft.VisualStudio.DataDesign.SyncDesigner.SyncFacade.SyncTableConfigManager'

threw an exception

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

• Moved by Karel ZikmundMicrosoft employee Wednesday, July 8, 2009 5:01 PM Wrong forum, not sure which one is close ... (From:Building Development and Diagnostic Tools for .Net)
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:11 PM

Answers

• Resolved my problem by download and installation of Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1.  Found this solution on a thread opened by astrohsrt on 8/18/2008. 

Thanks,

j_mike
    • Marked as answer by J_Mike Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:32 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:31 PM

All replies

• Likely something wrong with Synchronization Services for ADO.NET. Not sure which forum is correct though. Try your luck in the SQL Server Compact forum.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and click the chartreuse pyramid floating over nothingness/null to mark other helpful posts as helpful. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Resolved my problem by download and installation of Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1.  Found this solution on a thread opened by astrohsrt on 8/18/2008. 

Thanks,

j_mike
    • Marked as answer by J_Mike Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:32 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:31 PM