Windows Time sync error RRS feed

• Question

• A search found several threads on time sync problems, but none seem to apply to my problem specifically except all had time sync errors.  Here's my event error:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: W32Time
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 17
    Date:  7/16/2009
    Time:  1:07:15 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: KERRPLUNK
    Description:
    Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'ntp.okstate.edu,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

As one might note, I have changed the time server from time.windows.com to ntp.okstate.edu (this site pings ok).  I have tried other time servers, as well.  I get he same error regardless.  I added port 123 UDP to my firewall exceptions - no help.  I tried stopping the firewall completely - no help.  I have tried different DNS servers - no help.

My clients have time.windows.com as the time server and the clients do not have time sync errors reported.

So, what the heck is going on?

Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:36 PM

Answers

• Sometimes we just can't see the forest for the trees...

I had to give WHS a fixed IP on my network.  In the process, I failed to give it a DNS.  Sheepishly, in retrospect, the fact that this error was reported as a DNS lookup error, I should have known to check this.  Anyway, I added a couple of public DNS servers and now time sync works.

• Marked as answer by Cedarcreek Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:53 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:53 PM

All replies

• Try setting your time server address to: us.pool.ntp.org  That will eliminate most of the time server errors.

I think it may be a bug, although a minor one in WHS. I still get a few errors during the course of a months time, but it's much better than when try other time servers. I can live with that little problem.

Cruise
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:30 PM
  • A search found several threads on time sync problems, but none seem to apply to my problem specifically except all had time sync errors.  Here's my event error:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: W32Time
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 17
    Date:  7/16/2009
    Time:  1:07:15 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: KERRPLUNK
    Description:
    Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'ntp.okstate.edu,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

As one might note, I have changed the time server from time.windows.com to ntp.okstate.edu (this site pings ok).  I have tried other time servers, as well.  I get he same error regardless.  I added port 123 UDP to my firewall exceptions - no help.  I tried stopping the firewall completely - no help.  I have tried different DNS servers - no help.

My clients have time.windows.com as the time server and the clients do not have time sync errors reported.

So, what the heck is going on?

Since time.windows.com works for your clients, why not use that for your server as well?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Sometimes we just can't see the forest for the trees...

I had to give WHS a fixed IP on my network.  In the process, I failed to give it a DNS.  Sheepishly, in retrospect, the fact that this error was reported as a DNS lookup error, I should have known to check this.  Anyway, I added a couple of public DNS servers and now time sync works.

• Marked as answer by Cedarcreek Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:53 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:53 PM