none
Outlook 2003 Freezes Up

Question

• I am running Outlook 2003 basic on an HP Windows machine running WinXP. It has worked fine for a long time. All of a sudden, when I try to run it, it freezes up. Eventually it settles down, and when I try to open a message in my Inbox, by double clicking on the message, it freezes up again, doesn't show the email and says Not Responding, and I can only do End Program to gain access back from my computer. 

To be on the safe side, I backed up my Personal Folder and then Inbox, Calendar and Contacts separately using the File->Export tool. I also noticed that there was a copy of Office 2002 Professional installed as well. I wondered whether Outlook 2003 was confused, so I removed Office 2002. Then I removed and reinstalled Office 2003. Same behavior, so I shut down Outlook 2003. 

I found a tool in Outlook called, Scanpst.exe on C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, and I scanned Outlook.pst following the instructions from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070 to locate the file. Scanpst said it found some errors in Outlook.pst, so I repaired them, restarted Outlook 2003 and same behavior occurred. I even asked the MS website to check for update files, and it found, amongst other things, a SP3 missing. So, I installed that, restarted Outlook, and the same behavior occured.

Now, that I’ve fixed whatever might have been corrupted on the software files through the reinstall and repaired what may have been corrupt on the Outlook file (did I repair the right file?), I am stymied about what could be causing this not to work. Since I couldn’t get at my Inbox messages, I didn’t even bother checking about whether I could access my Calendar or Contacts, but I suspect the same problem would be there. The only other weirdness I can account for is that I installed a while ago a pdf tool from Nuance on that PC, which used to show as an icon on all my Office tools. It still shows on Word, but it takes a very long time to show on Outlook (and sometimes I have to kill it before it even gets a chance to load). Could that be a clue that somehow this plugin is mucking things up?

Any suggestions as to what might be happening here or how to proceed to figure that out?

Stumped, Scott

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:26 PM