HOW TO Change Server name and WorkGroup (WHS 2011) Walkthrough RRS feed

• General discussion

• Rulse one Make a BACKUP image of your c: drive before modifing any aspect of the OS. To do this right Click Computer (statmenu) manage.
    Left side panal click Storage, Windows Serverbackup. On the right panal click backup once. Click Diffrent Options. Click Add, Bear metal (witch will seclection ever thing u need) and then save to local Drive (d: would be option for now)

-------------------------------------------------

Log in Via Remote Desktop. Right click computer (Startmenu) Click Manage! Click on Roles (right panal).. Left panal scroll down to  and fined  Certification Authority Service  and click the button (remove Roles)

once removed restart and bang u can change  server name as well as workgorun or into domain.

It seems to not really affect anything with in the server OS but if something dose to have gone wrong go back to how you made the backup image and then restore back useing your backup file.

• Changed type Ken Warren Friday, December 16, 2011 3:10 PM Not a question
    • Moved by Ken Warren Friday, December 16, 2011 3:10 PM WHS 2011 thread (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Friday, December 16, 2011 8:20 AM

All replies

• If someone does this, they should re-enable the role after changing the server's workgroup/name, since the CA service is required for some of the Windows Home Server components.

That said, the workgroup is completely unimportant in terms of server functionality. Changing it is cosmetic at best.

And a note: This forum is primarily a peer to peer support forum for people using Windows Home Server as designed, not a forum for people looking for "Windows Server 2008 R2 lite". As such, you should be careful to indicate that changes such as the one you describe above are not supported or recommended, that they may have unexpected (and likely undesirable) side effects, and that they are "at your own risk" (i.e. it's likely that we can't help you if it all goes pear-shaped). 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:09 PM
  • I ended up with a WHS 2011 with the workgroup name "workgroup" and the two client PCs were already in a workgroup with a different name. I have been having trouble doing remote connections (the client cannot be found). Now that I have discovered this difference, it seems that the easiest thing to do is to change the two client PCs from their current workgroup name to "workgroup". If I do this, will it affect the CA? Is changing the workgroup name to match the server workgroup name the best approach? Thank, Bill Lexonic Technologies
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:45 PM
  • I ended up with a WHS 2011 with the workgroup name "workgroup" and the two client PCs were already in a workgroup with a different name. I have been having trouble doing remote connections (the client cannot be found). Now that I have discovered this difference, it seems that the easiest thing to do is to change the two client PCs from their current workgroup name to "workgroup". If I do this, will it affect the CA? Is changing the workgroup name to match the server workgroup name the best approach? Thank, Bill Lexonic Technologies

There is no need whatsoever to change the Workgroup name as far as WHS2011 functionality is concerned!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:49 PM
  • So once the WHS 2011 is setup and the client software is installed, WHS is supposed to "see" the workstations no matter if the server and client are in different workgroup names? Darn, I thought that might be the reason I was unable to connect to the client using the remote connect. Guess I will start a new thread to solve this mystery. Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:29 PM
  • I had the same problem as MadDoggyCA, where my home connector installer could not find the server.  I removed the Certification Authority Service role and after the reboot the Home Connector installer was able to find the server.  Now I am trying to figure out how to reinstall the  Certification Authority Service role as was suggested.  Any ideas? 

Update:  Since this was a clean install of a server anyways, I reinstalled and everything worked.  Having a different workgroup name didn't matter as after the re-install the server still had a different name then the rest of my computers.

• Edited by RDPFAN Sunday, January 8, 2012 4:06 PM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 4:35 AM