Master Project Workspace Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have one master project that contains some tasks and 2 other sub-projects. I also have one workspace for the master project and 2 other for the sub-project. I want to see at the List (Issues, Risks, Deleverables) of the master workspace all the List  (Issues, Risks, Deleverables) that I have set for the sub-projects. Is it possible;
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 5:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What you are after is possible, sort of. 

You can roll up other lists of the same type using a thing called a Content Query web part. Assuming your sub projects workspaces have been created under the master project, you can add a content query web part to your master project workspace and configure it to reference the current site and subsites, choose which content you want to roll up and your away.

There are a couple of limitations:

1. You will need to create three, one for deliverables, risks and issues as each list structure is different
    2. The content query will only display the information, it won't enable you to add new items, for this you will need to go to the original list.

Do a bing for Content Query web parts for further information, there are heaps of articles on how to do it, and customise.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Alex Burton www.epmsource.com
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What you are after is possible, sort of. 

You can roll up other lists of the same type using a thing called a Content Query web part. Assuming your sub projects workspaces have been created under the master project, you can add a content query web part to your master project workspace and configure it to reference the current site and subsites, choose which content you want to roll up and your away.

There are a couple of limitations:

1. You will need to create three, one for deliverables, risks and issues as each list structure is different
    2. The content query will only display the information, it won't enable you to add new items, for this you will need to go to the original list.

Do a bing for Content Query web parts for further information, there are heaps of articles on how to do it, and customise.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Hi Alex,

As I noticed this can only be done at sharepoint. At the project server you don't have this capability to add Content Query web part. This is because at the web part list you cannot add Content Query. Is there any other way or is there something that I get wrong.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Off the top of my head you need to turn on the following site collection features to get the content query web part:
    • Search Server Web Parts
    • Publishing infrastructure
    One gives you the Content rollup functionality, the other gives you the content query stuff. Apologies for misleading you, my main image has pretty much everything turned on in it :)

Alex.

Monday, March 15, 2010 11:02 PM
  • Alex I face a similar problem.. I cannot locate the Publishing infrastructure at the site features neither to SharePoint Central administration. I also navigated to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\Template\Features\ and I could find it there too.

Can I found somewhere this folder? Are you thinking something else?
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

The features mentioned are there is you are using Project Server 2010 as it sits upon SharePoint 2010 Enterprise. However, in your message above you mention the 12 directory which is Project Server 2007. In this case you need to be running Microsoft Office SharePoint Server with the publishing feature enabled on the site collection, check here for more info (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/2353e68c-0df4-451c-9475-8f069afd3efe

If you are running a Project Server + WSS installation, then you may need to use a third party alternative as discussed here (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointcustomization/thread/05224fc0-b4e6-45d4-86b2-e200d7de739e)

Regards,

Alex.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:34 PM