Change login to WHS 2011 shared folders from client? RRS feed

• Question

• I have my WHS 2011 set up to allow for guest read access to a number of folders. Sometimes it would ask for credentials, sometimes not, and just give me guest access. My kids do not have a login into their client PC's, nor do I on my HTPC. But if I want to add files from my kids' computers or HTPC, how do I set it to log in to the shared under my account with pretty  much full read/write access temporarily? I don't care if I have to restart their PC after doing so, just as long as I can have it ask for my credentials to gain read/write access.

Thanks.

Sunday, October 6, 2013 11:43 PM

Answers

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, October 21, 2013 4:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:06 AM
  • What you're seeing is standard Windows security as applied to workgroups: user names and passwords are passed between client and server when they're available, and are used to authenticate you. This is different in a domain environment; you receive a security token when you log into a domain; that token is what gets passed from domain member computer to domain member computer, and used to determine your rights.

To answer your original question (this is from a Windows Vista machine, but the basics are the same on all supported client OSes):

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Browse to your server, either using the tree view or by typing your server name preceded by two backward slashes in the address bar: \\server
    3. Right click a share.
    4. In the pop-up menu, choose "Map network drive..."
    5. Choose a drive letter (I recommend not using Z:)
    6. Make sure "Reconnect at logon" is not checked
    7. Click the link in "Connect using a different user name"
    8. Enter a server user name in the form servername\username, and that user's server password
    9. Click Ok
    10. Click Finish
    11. In Windows Explorer, find your newly mapped drive and open it
    12. Do whatever you need to do
    13. When you're done, right click the mapped drive in Windows Explorer and choose Disconnect from the menu

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:09 PM

All replies

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:06 AM
  • Thanks, but I have a guest account set to read only for select folders, which works perfectly fine. My point is, similar to how you can right click context menu temporarily run something as administrator in Windows, log in to the shared folders under a different account to make some changes then log out.

I did find a way but it's kind of goofy. If your client login name matches a WHS 2011 server user name and if the passwords don't match or you don't have a client machine password, it will ask you for your credentials. If it doesn't match a WHS 2011 user name then it automatically assumes guest. /shrug/.

Kind of silly.

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:32 AM
  • What you're seeing is standard Windows security as applied to workgroups: user names and passwords are passed between client and server when they're available, and are used to authenticate you. This is different in a domain environment; you receive a security token when you log into a domain; that token is what gets passed from domain member computer to domain member computer, and used to determine your rights.

To answer your original question (this is from a Windows Vista machine, but the basics are the same on all supported client OSes):

1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Browse to your server, either using the tree view or by typing your server name preceded by two backward slashes in the address bar: \\server
    3. Right click a share.
    4. In the pop-up menu, choose "Map network drive..."
    5. Choose a drive letter (I recommend not using Z:)
    6. Make sure "Reconnect at logon" is not checked
    7. Click the link in "Connect using a different user name"
    8. Enter a server user name in the form servername\username, and that user's server password
    9. Click Ok
    10. Click Finish
    11. In Windows Explorer, find your newly mapped drive and open it
    12. Do whatever you need to do
    13. When you're done, right click the mapped drive in Windows Explorer and choose Disconnect from the menu

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:09 PM