SteadyState Automatic Update Schedule and Group Policy RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings all,

I'm investigating using SteadyState to replace Deep Freeze on a small college campus.  The one thing so far that Deep Freeze seems to have over SteadyState is remote administration so I've been researching to see how much of SteadyState can be controlled with Domain Group Policy on an Active Directory network.

I noticed that SteadyState works with Group Policy to determine what update server to use, including a WSUS server.  However, I noticed that the update time in SteadyState did not change when the Windows Update schedule was changed in the domain group policy.

Is this by design or is this just a policy that SteadyState doesn't currently work with?  If I were to add the Group Policy Template that came with the SteadyState install, does it contain a policy for changing the update time?

Thanks,
    Dotren
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

SteadyState doesn't use the Windows Update registry settings for scheduling.  Instead, it stores its own update scheduling information here:

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState\Parameters]
    "AutomaticUpdateTime"=dword:0-23  (hour to run updates)
    "AutomaticUpdateDay"=dword:0-7  (0 = daily, 1 = Sunday, etc.)

You can change those values via group policy.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SteadyState doesn't use the Windows Update registry settings for scheduling.  Instead, it stores its own update scheduling information here:

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState\Parameters]
    "AutomaticUpdateTime"=dword:0-23  (hour to run updates)
    "AutomaticUpdateDay"=dword:0-7  (0 = daily, 1 = Sunday, etc.)

You can change those values via group policy.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:42 AM
  •  Thanks for the info!

You mentioned I could change those values via group policy... is this a built in group policy with 2008 or is this a policy that gets added if I were to integrate that policy template that comes with SteadyState?

Thanks,
    Dotren
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:58 PM
  • It's not part of an existing template, but you could create a new one using those registry values.
    Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:50 AM