4.0 Client Issue RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that I have successfully uninstalled the 3.0 Client and sucessfully installed and configured the 4.0 Client on my first installation of a workstation but when you start up Outlook (2003 SP3) it get's to the "Initializing Outlook interface" phase and I get a message that says 

"An error occurred loading Microsoft Dynamics CRM functionality.  Try restarting Microsoft Outlook. blah, blah, blah"

Is there anywhere I can find a log or has someone seen this before and can help me out? 

Thanks,

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• Are you trying to install the Outlook Client or CRM server.  I thought Outlook Client but I don't understand this comment:

"Also, when I go to reconfigure I get a message saying there is previous database detected on the CRM svr, do I want to reuse or delete and create a new database.  I keep saying reuse because I do not want to delete the svr database.  LOTS of data has been entered by LOTS of people."

You shouldn't receive any message about the reuse or creation of a new database on the CRM server when installing Outlook Client.  Maybe you are trying to install the Offline Client and it is prompting you about the database on the client.  If so, you will want to get rid of all CRM 3 Outlook Client references and instances before installing CRM 4 Outlook and that includes the database.

I saw a similar type of freeze on a few user machines and the following worked for me:

Rename the "outcmd.dat" file found in the following path after installing the Outlook Client and before Opening Outlook to Configure it:

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

I hope this works for you

Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:03 PM

All replies

• I see this question was posted weeks ago and nobody responded, but for those of you who come across this in the future, logs for the CRM Outlook client will be located under the user's profile directory in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs (on Vista)

or

C:\Documents and SettingsUsers\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs (in XP)

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:31 PM
  •  

I had this issue, and solved it by re-running the CRM client configuration wizard.  If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the client.

To run the configuration wizard, go to start, all programs, Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0, configuration wizard.

Friday, June 20, 2008 11:33 AM
  • Hi

Here might be the solution for your problem.

Close Outlook

Then you need to rename the following folder to another one, c:\documents and settings\<user>\application data\microsoft\outlook (e.g. outlook backup)

Restart Outlook

Monday, July 7, 2008 1:17 PM
  • I have tried all of the above and still get "Initializing Outlook Interface...." and it freezes.

Then I have to manually close down with task mgr.

When I try to open Outlook 03 again, it says that there was a fatal error last time and do I want to disable the CRM add-in.

If I say yes, everything works fine again, but no CRM.

Also, when I go to reconfigure I get a message saying there is previous database detected on the CRM svr, do I want to reuse or delete and create a new database.  I keep saying reuse because I do not want to delete the svr database.  LOTS of data has been entered by LOTS of people.

Will try uninstalling 4.0 completely again, but I have a feeling that is not going to fix it.

Any ideas or fixes?

Thanks

Thursday, October 9, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Are you trying to install the Outlook Client or CRM server.  I thought Outlook Client but I don't understand this comment:

"Also, when I go to reconfigure I get a message saying there is previous database detected on the CRM svr, do I want to reuse or delete and create a new database.  I keep saying reuse because I do not want to delete the svr database.  LOTS of data has been entered by LOTS of people."

You shouldn't receive any message about the reuse or creation of a new database on the CRM server when installing Outlook Client.  Maybe you are trying to install the Offline Client and it is prompting you about the database on the client.  If so, you will want to get rid of all CRM 3 Outlook Client references and instances before installing CRM 4 Outlook and that includes the database.

I saw a similar type of freeze on a few user machines and the following worked for me:

Rename the "outcmd.dat" file found in the following path after installing the Outlook Client and before Opening Outlook to Configure it:

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

I hope this works for you

Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Yes, its outlook for client "offline".  Sorry should have clarified that.

Yes, tried that renaming fix, and it didn't work.

I'm actually in contact with MS about it, because everything on here and everything they've tried hasn't worked either.

Thanks for the response.

I'll post when they get a fix.   Surprise)

Friday, October 10, 2008 8:09 PM
  • hi all,

i have the same issue, and the preceding suggestions didn't work for me. any other good soul with a working solution ?

thanks!
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

The original post referenced an error message relating to CRM Outlook trying to find a database.  If that is the issue you are having, I think it is possible that the CRM 3 for Outlook Client was not completely uninstalled.  I suggest completely removing all Outlook Client's from the machine.  First uninstall the CRM 4 Outlook client and then use the guide referenced at the link below to ensure you have completely removed the CRM 3 Outlook Client

After you finish the above, go out to the Microsoft site and obtain all Operating System and Office updates.  Select Custom rather than Express to ensure you have everything.  Keep visiting the site until there are no additional updates available.  Then, reboot your laptop and try the CRM 4 Outlook Client install again.  After you install the Client and before you Configure it, go out to the Windows Update site and retrieve any additional updates available.  Reboot and configure the client.

How to manually remove the CRM 3 Outlook Client.  Thanks to Microsoft and CustomerEffective for the information:

http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/02/complete-crm-ou.html 

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:55 PM
  • I finally got this resolved by using one of my Microsoft incidents.

Here are the steps directly from my rep:

1. The first step is to again uninstall the Outlook CRM client

2. Log in to your workstation as 'Local Admin'

3. Broswe to C:\Documents and Settings

4. You will see a list of the profiles that you have on your workstation, locate yours and open this folder

5. At the top, Go to Tools and Folder Options, - here, select the view tab and ensure that the option for 'Show hidden files and folders' is selected.

6. To back up everthing in the folder, create a folder in the c:\ directory called OLDPROFILE and copy the contents of you profile folder into this newly created folder. The two files that you will not want in the newly created folder are the two "NTUSER" files.

7. Once these contents have been copied to the new folder, rename the orignal folder to OLD

8. Log off Windows and log back in with your usual User account

9. Launch Outlook and let it load the profile

10. Close Outlook

11. Install the Outlook CRM client

12. Test to verify that the Outlook client works

13. If the Outlook client now works, you will want to copy the files from the C:\OLDPROFILE folder back into your newly created user folder that will be located at C:\Documents and Settings\YourName

Good luck!  Hope it works for you too!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Thanks Syndi,

Resetting the profile did help. (we are using roaming profiles, but the principle is the same). I'm not looking forward to do so with every other CRM user in my company, but hey, if it works...

Grts, Koen
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:28 PM