License Summary for CRM 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been asked to ascertain how many users we are licensed for on our On-Premise Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 system but have not yet found where this information is held.

I have found reference to a 'license summary' available from the Deployment Manager for CRM 3.0 but this doesn't seem to be available in CRM 4.0 - I can see the number of licensed users in use and the type of licenses they are using but not the maximum we're licensed for.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Monday, January 23, 2012 11:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Luke,

With Workgroup edition CAls are enforced, but I don't believe is the case for PRO and ENT versions.

However you should manage your licenses carefully as Microsoft normally audits clients to confirm people are complying with licensing.

Please mark as answer if the above posts have helped.

Regards

Nuno

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Luke Maslany Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:10 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Luke,

CRM 4 or the new CRM 2011 does not give that information. (unless you using the workgroup version which is limited to 5 users)

However you can see how many full access, read-only and admin only on the deployment manager on License > right click license and properties.

Above the Workgroup license CRM is based on CALs and not fixed number of licenses, even if you have an enterprise license you must purchase a number of CALs.

PS: administrative licenses are free

Hope this helps.

Regards

Nuno

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

• Edited by nrodri Monday, January 23, 2012 5:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by nrodri Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:00 AM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 5:28 PM
  • It is the number of CALs I was trying to find (we are running Professional).  There seems to be some disagreement internally as to whether we are licensed for 45 or 50.

Will CRM stop me from using too many CALs?  If so I might just keep adding users until it hits the limit...

Regards,

Monday, January 23, 2012 5:46 PM
  • Hi Luke,

With Workgroup edition CAls are enforced, but I don't believe is the case for PRO and ENT versions.

However you should manage your licenses carefully as Microsoft normally audits clients to confirm people are complying with licensing.

Please mark as answer if the above posts have helped.

Regards

Nuno

• Marked as answer by Luke Maslany Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:10 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:00 AM
  • I understand the need to manage licenses - unfortunately these were bought outside of our normal procurement procedure which is why we have no record of the number of licenses bought.

I think that ultimately I am going to have to ask our finance department for copies of the invoices from the reseller and do this the hard way.

Thanks for your assistance,

Regards,

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:10 AM