none
rdp pain RRS feed

• Question

• ok bear with me please. I am on some decent meds from the DR. three days out of the hospital. NOT home . WHS at home is running fine. I can get into it via the usual https://annastreet.homeserver.com/home/default.aspx?gotodefault=true were all good. I need to HAVE to actually RDP into the desktop for stuff I need to do, past the console in other words. My other 9 pc's are offline at home, so I cant backdoor the server, yes I can RDP intranet or console  in locally normally when home and all on. I can access my router from my remote location, ____ I can ping the server from the router. I can't RDP into that server from out of town. Ok start asking questions. I am willing to allow access to mvp's if they wanna go play. I can reset when I get home, but for right now I have to get at it that desktop. I use dns (paid version) and have a current ip for the day? and everything resolving good lol thanx and help
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:34 PM

Answers

• Ignoring the question of Remote Desktop access to your server being unsupported :), there is probably nothing that you will be able to do from afar. The scope on the Remote Desktop Protocol port (3389) is doubteless still set to the default, which is My network (subnet) only. In order to access your server from afar using remote Desktop, that needs to be set to Any computer (including those on the Internet). Which you can't do, because it requires desktop access, which you can't get from afar, et cetera. :P

The only thing I can think of that might work for you is to try the Wake On LAN add-in. I don't know much about it (and don't use it myself), however you can buy and download it here. Assuming it works for you, it will let you wake a PC on your network if that PC is configured to allow Wake On LAN. Then you could connect to that PC using Remote Desktop through the Remote Access web site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:09 PM
  • There was an Add-In - Advanced Admin Console, which you could upload to the Add-Ins folder in the software share and install.
    Since this grants access to control panel, you can reconfigure the scope in the Windows Firewall exception for Remote Desktop to allow access from all networks and then connect by calling your domain name followed by :3389 in the RDP client. (I recommend to remove the domain name from your above posting).
    And to say it with Ken - this is unsupported and dangerous (at least potentially).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:14 PM

All replies

• Ignoring the question of Remote Desktop access to your server being unsupported :), there is probably nothing that you will be able to do from afar. The scope on the Remote Desktop Protocol port (3389) is doubteless still set to the default, which is My network (subnet) only. In order to access your server from afar using remote Desktop, that needs to be set to Any computer (including those on the Internet). Which you can't do, because it requires desktop access, which you can't get from afar, et cetera. :P

The only thing I can think of that might work for you is to try the Wake On LAN add-in. I don't know much about it (and don't use it myself), however you can buy and download it here. Assuming it works for you, it will let you wake a PC on your network if that PC is configured to allow Wake On LAN. Then you could connect to that PC using Remote Desktop through the Remote Access web site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:09 PM
  • There was an Add-In - Advanced Admin Console, which you could upload to the Add-Ins folder in the software share and install.
    Since this grants access to control panel, you can reconfigure the scope in the Windows Firewall exception for Remote Desktop to allow access from all networks and then connect by calling your domain name followed by :3389 in the RDP client. (I recommend to remove the domain name from your above posting).
    And to say it with Ken - this is unsupported and dangerous (at least potentially).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:14 PM