WLOC Unable to remove "TrojanDownloader:Win32/Eldycow.gen!A" RRS feed

• Question

• A repeated attempt to remove this infection using onecare fails. A repeated message pops up warning of the infection and cannot be stopped. I have searched for help on this without any success. I cannot think of anytrhing but removing OneCare and installing Norton or other but that seems to defeat the point of subscribing to OneCare in the first place.

Specific help from any person who has solved or knows how to solve this problem would be welcome!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:24 AM

Answers

•  

I had to use a 3rd party removal tool to get rid of this pesky issue One care failed on repeated cropping ups of this virus I gave up and looked around and found a tool that Identified this at symantec.com
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:51 AM

All replies

•  

I had to use a 3rd party removal tool to get rid of this pesky issue One care failed on repeated cropping ups of this virus I gave up and looked around and found a tool that Identified this at symantec.com
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:51 AM
  • Yes I searched high and low for a solution within MicroSoft OneCare and considered that another Virus Software supplier might be able to help. Symantec 2008 worked without problems. I wondewr if WLOC is embarssed at this or not. Certainly as a fee paying subscriber who migrated to oneCare from Symantec I am far from happy that I had to pay again. I am also unhappy that I found no way of accessing any person from OneCare for support on this (UK based).

Thanks again for the advice...... I wait patiently for MicroSoft to feed back if any person is reading!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 1:49 PM
  •  

Follow the instructions in this post, http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=662566&SiteID=2, to report a virus that is not cleaned by OneCare and to get help in removal.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:31 PM
  • Sorry to take issue with this Stephen but I started this thread as a UK based customer. While the North American perspective seems to be addressed, the non American support you provided would have left me cold on this issue.

The link http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=662566&SiteID=2 addresses the issues of false positives and false negative reporting but this was a 'positive positive' which is identified by WLOC but not cleaned. This site also clearly states that no direct support is provided and is merely a reporting site. Given that I was not the first person on your support pages with this problem it would seem that a timely solution is not likely to be forthcoming to solve a continuing virus pop-up warning appearing every minute or so.

The second  'local subsidiary support site' link to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/international.aspx is a general support site which doesn't mention Windows Live Onecare either on the page that it accesses or the 'Product' page linked from that. I would still say that the non-American seeking support on this issue would have to resort to the solution I took. This is not good from Microsoft. I am afraid that the 'posted solution' from a UK based persective remains elsewhere until you can provide a useful link to a genuine solution.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:53 PM
  • I've enlarged the font and added a sentence to the FAQ post for reporting an infection that can't be removed by OneCare, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

The "false positive" submission is the place to submit a suspected virus.

The procedure for getting help with removal is to contact OneCare support. I made that part of the FAQ post more visible.

The additional information in my previous reply is a piece of text that I located on the Microsoft web site some time ago. Unfortunately, since I am in the US, I can't see if there is a similar resource available for other countries. The US blurb included the link and the verbiage that I quoted that sends you to the generic support site. In effect, it means to call the local support office for your region.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:26 AM