Can two or more Front End pools host one single SIP domain? RRS feed

• Question

• Can two or more Front End pools host one single SIP domain?

Like in the case of the Multiple Site with Remote Site Edge Topology in the OCS Edge Server deployement guide where in we have to install local Standard Edition server or pool in each remote location.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 2:31 PM

Answers

• Yes, as long as they are in the same AD Forest.

Mark
    Monday, February 16, 2009 12:43 AM

All replies

• Yes, as long as they are in the same AD Forest.

Mark
    Monday, February 16, 2009 12:43 AM
  • Keep in mind that Automatic Configuration can't be used to point OC users to a specific pool if a single replicated DNS domain is used across the sites as there can only be one SRV record.  If you have separate DNS servers you could configure local records for each location, but most likely a conbination of Manual and Automatic Configuration may be the best approach.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, February 16, 2009 1:19 PM
  • Or have a Director or pool (director configured on the pool itself) direct users to the other pool and use automatic configuration for everyone
    - Belgian Exchange Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Monday, February 16, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Well it can also be done using MIIS or manualing creating duplicate user accounts using SIDMAP cross forest as well but all I can say is "NIGHTMARE".

Mark
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:07 AM
  • So the above steps are only if I dont want remote site users to be authenticated and use IM via the Access Edge in the primary data center, right?

@Deki Pro-Exchange: I did not understand what you mean by this:
    Or have a Director or pool (director configured on the pool itself) direct users to the other pool and use automatic configuration for everyone. Could you please share an example?

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Take a look at this blog post for a information on what the Director role is/does:
    http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike/archive/2008/08/21/the-ocs-director-reasons-benefits-and-dependencies.aspx
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:10 PM