Hardware recommendations for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have WHS running on an old Dell that is using a 1.8GHz Intel CPU.  I am thinking of upgrading to new hardware before upgrading to the final release version of WHS.  I think that the current CPU may be holding back the speed of some network transfers.

Here is what I would like with my hardware:

Fast enough CPU that it is not a bottleneck for transfers.

CPU that doesn't consume too much power.

Mobo with onboard gigabit LAN, SATA for at least 4 hard drives, EIDE for at least two drives.

Mobo with basic onboard video and basic onboard sound.

Any suggestions for mobo and CPU?

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For cpu, it best to go with core nowdays, price are right, example as this:

Intel E4400

Since it run cooler than P4.

For motherboard, good idea as well, to see review for the motherboard you find fill the need, like asus, abit .. etc. from the above site.

If you want a motherboard with buildin video, not good idea, since most of these board not good, unless you going to server motherbard, like tyan, supermicro and a like, these are priced high and not need it for whs.

My suggestion, chose a motherboard with many sata connection ports, abit/gigabayte/asus have like 8 one some modle, and get cheap pic video card.

My best.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:20 PM
  • There is nothing wrong with on board video. My Media Center is running with a Nvidia 6150 with no performance problems at all for general video and TV viewing. I would go with on board video to save power. Also it's just another component that can fail.

Motherboard wise, I think the hard part will be getting something with multi IDE ports, Intel has been dropping them and AMD based boards are also dropping then more recently. There are still lots out there but they are getting harder to find especially with on board video. Also not many with on board video in the ATX range, lots of M-ATX. Your best bet for finding what you want is to find a site that allows you to search based on your requirements. ie 2 IDE ports, On board VGA, and x SATA ports.

Another option for IDE ports would be a cheap (RocketRAID 133) card as they can run without raid and with 4 IDE disks attached. Although performance does drop a little and it is just another component that can fail.

CPU wise Intel Core 2 has best performance but where I live Intel Mobo/CPU combo's are a lot more expensive than AMD systems.

Also a lot of the motherboards out today have way to many features and are a bit of overkill for servers. I am hoping this will change when motherboard makers realise Home server is a popular product. 7.1 sound, Overclocking features are just not worth it. Better heatsinks, ECC DDR, More SATA and USB ports, Mobile processor sockets are all great options now.

Cheers

DB

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:40 AM
  • Sorry abobader a motherboard with buildin video is fine, because the simple reason is after you setup WHS you do not even need a monitor.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:00 AM
  •  Richard A Miller wrote:

Sorry abobader a motherboard with buildin video is fine, because the simple reason is after you setup WHS you do not even need a monitor.

Actually, with the picture HP has up with its home server, there is no monitor plug....

But I'd want good onboard video, since I'd like to run windows virtual pc on my home server... 

Far as a good system, I'm going with an AMD dual core 3600+ (1.9 Ghz) ((around $60), 2 gb ram (need that to run vpc smoothly), 500 gb hard drive & 320 gb hd, etc.

I see no point in spending major cash on a dual core 2 system from intel.  Our Home Servers will not be calculating the weather predicting the next ice age or even the number of possible clothes combinations you can wear... it will end up being a backup and file server... in most cases....

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:18 AM
  • Hi guys,

I need to make some clear issue regarding my last post:

When I said "not good", i did not meant as the video chip on the motherboard will be not good, no, not that, I meant that not good idea for WHS.

I had many motherboards with video builtin in the past, some of them cheap one as gigabyte, some are not as tyan, so I test WHS on 2 on them, did not pass, so I disable the video and put agp, no, then one of these cheap pci, then pass.

Insted of looking for these motherboards, which in most cases, hardly have 4 sata ports in most, look to what you will need most, like more sata ports and a like.

Regarding the cpu, yes, some users manage to install it on PII and PIII, I as well test on P4, all ok, but, as you see in the forum, more demanding been ask for what WHS should do, more futears, more opertional want, then the most hardware will be important to that task, the cpu.

Again, if you find a MB with video built-in, and sure WHS install will pass, go for it, as Richard said, no video power indeed need it on WHS.

My best.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:47 PM
  • You will need the capability to hook up a monitor for trouble shooting, or if you need to re-install. The HP, as with all the OEM machines, will have a recover button, that will repair the server install, probably from a pre-loaded image on a hidden partition. Home built servers will not have that capability because there are no motherboards marketed (that I know of) with that feature available.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:06 PM
  •  dfw wrote:

You will need the capability to hook up a monitor for trouble shooting, or if you need to re-install. The HP, as with all the OEM machines, will have a recover button, that will repair the server install, probably from a pre-loaded image on a hidden partition. Home built servers will not have that capability because there are no motherboards marketed (that I know of) with that feature available.

Yes true indeed.

I think some Asus motherboards (as marked as "digital media MB") maybe have that, need to search more tho.

My best.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:35 PM
  •  theog wrote:

I see no point in spending major cash on a dual core 2 system from intel.  Our Home Servers will not be calculating the weather predicting the next ice age or even the number of possible clothes combinations you can wear... it will end up being a backup and file server... in most cases....

You may not need the extra computing power but the Core2s have lower power consumption.  Most of the cheap CPUs right now seem to be the Pentium Ds that are power hogs.  They may be cheaper in the short term but if your WHS box is running for 5 years then an extra $50 up front will probably save you money in the long run due to reduced extra power consumption.  And I don't think the price difference is that much - here in Canada you can buy an E2140 for $82.
    Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:21 PM
  •  wayner9 wrote:
     theog wrote:

You may not need the extra computing power but the Core2s have lower power consumption.  Most of the cheap CPUs right now seem to be the Pentium Ds that are power hogs.  They may be cheaper in the short term but if your WHS box is running for 5 years then an extra $50 up front will probably save you money in the long run due to reduced extra power consumption.  And I don't think the price difference is that much - here in Canada you can buy an E2140 for $82.

I really wish you would have taken my entire post into account... please look at the AMD X2 (brisbone) that I posted and look over the power consumption compared to the core2... I think that will speak for itself... and it is much cheaper. 

As I said, you don't need a core2... makes little sense in MY case (and for MOST cases, a file and backup server). 

I understand your point though... nice to point out the total cost of a product over its intended use.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Sorry for my ignorance here but by Brisbane do you mean an X2 3800+?  They are selling for only $5 cheaper than the E2140.  I thought that I saw that they are both rated at 65W when it comes to power consumption.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:32 PM
  • Also i believe the latest version of the 2140/60's when at idle now consume as little as 8w of power which is a 4w improvement over the last stepping which was 12w of power .

I would check the latest stepping against the Low power AMD's i think there would only be a couple of watts difference and i think that it is now in Intels favor.

Edit: the new stepping is M0. i cant find a review atm but ive seen one somewhere.

Thanks

Peter

Thursday, August 23, 2007 10:28 PM
  •  wayner9 wrote:

I currently have WHS running on an old Dell that is using a 1.8GHz Intel CPU.  I am thinking of upgrading to new hardware before upgrading to the final release version of WHS.  I think that the current CPU may be holding back the speed of some network transfers.

Here is what I would like with my hardware:

Fast enough CPU that it is not a bottleneck for transfers.

CPU that doesn't consume too much power.

Mobo with onboard gigabit LAN, SATA for at least 4 hard drives, EIDE for at least two drives.

Mobo with basic onboard video and basic onboard sound.

Any suggestions for mobo and CPU?

Friday, August 24, 2007 1:36 AM
  •  wayner9 wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance here but by Brisbane do you mean an X2 3800+?  They are selling for only $5 cheaper than the E2140.  I thought that I saw that they are both rated at 65W when it comes to power consumption.

Actually, for the same price as the e2140 you can get the 65w x2 4200... again, a better deal...  but then you could pay another $10 for an intel and get something to beat amd...  And the difference in power consumption will be negligible between them, so you look at other factors, like the cost of the mobo.  AMD mobos will be able to accept the new amd quad core chip due later this year/early next year.  Of course, you would have to switch hardware around, which some people might not want to do.  lol....

It never ends... next someone will mention over-clocking or something silly....  then some will simply go with amd or intel simply because of the name and justify their way of thinking no matter what.  I’ve looked at it and if I were building a home server for someone, most of the time I think amd…. Desktop computer, most of the time I’d go with an intel.  Depends on how you look at it.

I guess you should look at the performance/price and decide on a setup that good for you...  you seem to have a little more knowledge than the average user.... 

Guess I'll bail out this thread now... seems the question was answered.  Newegg or zipzoomfly is a good place to find hardware.... tomshardware.com is a good place to see reviews.. 

Good luck to you. 

Friday, August 24, 2007 11:00 PM