problem with edge connectivity RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi.

we are planing to deploying OCS Edge Server (R2) with 2 NICs. and going to use on ADSL connection with only one public IP.

do we have to have 03 number of public IP's for hosting acc edge,web conf & a/v ????

My problem is can I use only one public IP for all three services, access edge, AV Edge and Web Conferencing

please advise me how to do with single ip and please share some tech doc for how to do that

thanks 

cheers

chanaka 
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:25 AM

Answers

• If you only have a single public IP address to work with then your deployment options are quite limited.  Even though you can use NAT on some or all of the external roles (depending on the specific firewall used) you'd still need a public IP on the outside for each role regardless of whether that IP is attached to the server itself or NAT'd through an external firewall.

You'll have to collocate all external Edge roles on the same IP address and then change most of the default ports to unique values.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Chanaka

If you use a SAN certificate with all 4 names on it and if you use different ports and configure it that way and you have configured DNS for all the A and SRV records it could work, but I never would do or try this in practice.

Try to do it the right way (3 IP) instead which is supported by microsoft and described in the Edge Deployment Guide.
    my2C

Cheers
    Werner
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:18 PM
  • If you only have a single public IP address to work with then your deployment options are quite limited.  Even though you can use NAT on some or all of the external roles (depending on the specific firewall used) you'd still need a public IP on the outside for each role regardless of whether that IP is attached to the server itself or NAT'd through an external firewall.

You'll have to collocate all external Edge roles on the same IP address and then change most of the default ports to unique values.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Hi jef

Thank you very much for helping me. Can you please send some technical documents or url for my above requirement. Because I read couple of articles in ocs 2007 r2 a/v edge we can NAT enable and we can used custom ports. Please help me to figure out how exactly doing this

thanks

chanaka

Friday, July 24, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Hi jef

Thank you very much for helping me. Can you please send some technical documents or url for my above requirement. Because I read couple of articles in ocs 2007 r2 a/v edge we can NAT enable and we can used custom ports. Please help me to figure out how exactly doing this

thanks

chanaka

Any one please advice me on this issue
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:44 AM