Storage Manager Service not running RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,  WHS installed and updated on it's own ok... but now when I try to open the WHS Console I get this "whs console cannot start because the whs manager service is not running- please restart whs."

This is a new  OEM install on a supermicro mobo (PDSME+)
    only 4 sata drives.

I've been all over the forums looking for a similar problem to resolve this issue on my own but key word search comes up with unfamiliar finds.. Please Help?
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 12:40 AM

All replies

• Hello,  WHS installed and updated on it's own ok... but now when I try to open the WHS Console I get this "whs console cannot start because the whs manager service is not running- please restart whs."

This is a new  OEM install on a supermicro mobo (PDSME+)
    only 4 sata drives.

I've been all over the forums looking for a similar problem to resolve this issue on my own but key word search comes up with unfamiliar finds.. Please Help?
    I assume you rebooted your server and it didn't help?  If not, please do so.  If so, try logging into the server desktop and starting the service manually (right click on My Computer > Manage > click the plus sign next to Services and Applications > Services > right-click Windows Home Server Storage Manager > click Start).  If it still doesn't work, please post the exact error message you get.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 1:16 AM
  • ok will do exactly as you reccomend and the message in qoutes is the exact error message I recieve...

Sunday, October 4, 2009 1:22 AM
  • No go still won't open, Windows Home Storage Manager was already running and started automatically under Services as you suggested. I have rebooted the system a few more times and recieve no other indications of anything else is wrong except when I try to use WHS Console on the server desktop or on any client...

Sunday, October 4, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Can you login locally and check the event viewer of the server for relevant error messages?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 11:14 AM
  • Sorry I did'nt get to you sooner, took the family apple picking all day and the kids had a great time...  I will take a look at the viewer for error messages now.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 9:53 PM
  • OK, there were a few events listed as problems. I will list them in the most recent order...

event id: 1004
    (cannot register the URL prefix http://'80/HOME/for site 1) this site has been deactivated).

event id 10016
    (The application specific permission settings do not grant local activation permission for the com server application with CLSID {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC127OE}

event id: 60055
    (windows setup encountered non fatal errors during installation. Please check the setupeir.log in your windows directory for more info).

event id: 15005

event id: 10005

event id: 4319
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Did you install any other applications on your server, which make use of Internet Information Server? (Regarding the first error ...) This could have misconfigured IIS, which is required for Windows Home Server to work and communicate properly with the clients.
    Also open regedit and search for {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC127OE} to figure out the application/service behind.
    I cannot find this key on my own home server, so that may point in the same direction as above question.

If a 3rd party application messed up with the system, often a server reinstall is the easiest (and most recommended) way to fix the issue.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 5, 2009 6:17 AM
  • No, I have a new install without any 3rd party software maybe the install was bad from the get go. Anyways I will be doing a new install today hopefully there won't be any issues this time....

Thanks for all your help...
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:50 PM