WHS and Windows 7 shared folder no previous version available UGGH RRS feed

• Question

• Okay this is a real crisis and I am absolutely stunned by the lack of a previous version of a file on my shared folder in WHS.

I have an access app and it went a bit wonky this afternoon.  I hit compact and repair and it erased all of my VBA code.  unreal.  So I thought no problem just restore the shadow copy of the previous version and I can remember what I have done so far only to find that it says no previous version available.  HUH what is wrong here. first time I have ever had to use this function ever! what am I doing wrong

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:57 PM

All replies

• You haven't done anything wrong, Previous Versions isn't supported on Windows Home Server, due to issues with how Drive Extender manages files. There's a workaround that will let you use the feature anyway; a search in the forums should let you find it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Okay this is a real crisis and I am absolutely stunned by the lack of a previous version of a file on my shared folder in WHS.

I have an access app and it went a bit wonky this afternoon.  I hit compact and repair and it erased all of my VBA code.  unreal.  So I thought no problem just restore the shadow copy of the previous version and I can remember what I have done so far only to find that it says no previous version available.  HUH what is wrong here. first time I have ever had to use this function ever! what am I doing wrong

As Ken said, there is a workaround to use Shadow Copies on WHS.  However, since it says "no previous versions available", the workaround won't help you with your already-damaged Access file.  It will only allow you to establish Previous Versions from now on (and even then you have to "trick" the server after a reboot in order to get all of the Shadow Copies to work).
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:18 PM