Reconnect to homeserver domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, have been off for a while and system working well.  But, had to make major ISP changes and fixed IP for the server was changed.  Now it is no long visible at my homeserver domain and cannot remote login.  is there a simple way [Ha Ha] to redo the domain... afraid to lose the name. 
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:04 PM

All replies

• You don't need a fixed Internet IP for this to work - WHS updates DNS records to link your current IP to your homeserver.com domain. Changing the ISP should not affect this. Try pinging your homeserver.com address from the Internet and comparing the resulting IP with your external IP address on your modem. Of course the two should be the same.

If you changed ISP, I assume you have a different modem/router - is this set up correctly to port forward to your internal Server IP address?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:29 PM
  • If it's a recent change, wait. Eventually the server will update the dynamic DNS provider and your server will be reachable. If it's been a while, you can try turning Remote Access off, then back on.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:31 PM
  • You don't need a fixed Internet IP for this to work - WHS updates DNS records to link your current IP to your homeserver.com domain. Changing the ISP should not affect this. Try pinging your homeserver.com address from the Internet and comparing the resulting IP with your external IP address on your modem. Of course the two should be the same.

If you changed ISP, I assume you have a different modem/router - is this set up correctly to port forward to your internal Server IP address?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

I think this is the issue.  We are a Google Fiber Beta test site and they changed out the router yesterday.  I suspect I had the old one set up for port forwarding.... probably took me an hour how to figure out how to do this last time.  Google uses Cisco routers but they put their own part numbers on them so it obscures what the real part is and how to get the manual... the Admin screen is a nightmare. 
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 5:59 PM
  • If it's a recent change, wait. Eventually the server will update the dynamic DNS provider and your server will be reachable. If it's been a while, you can try turning Remote Access off, then back on.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thanks, been 16h, I think the port forwarding is the problem, but will try this also, but do it first as it is simpler than the port-forwarding.  Better reboot the server too. 
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Good luck!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Good luck!

Thanks, I'll report back.  Unfortunately I cannot connect the old router to the system to check the settings since apparently it screws up the Google fiber network is some obscure manner.... they see into every nook and cranny of the network....
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:26 PM
  • You need to forward Port 443 to your server internal IP address (ideally fixed) to give https:// access. If you also want the less secure http:// protocol you will also need to forward Port 80.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:23 PM
  • You need to forward Port 443 to your server internal IP address (ideally fixed) to give https:// access. If you also want the less secure http:// protocol you will also need to forward Port 80.

Thanks.  The %$%$%^ Google router has all the port forwarding commands blanked out.  I am forced to go to Google to get them to do this.  They seem to retain internal command of this router! 

PS  One unrelated question.  I have never done it but I believe WHS can restore the primary system disk in the event of a disk crash.  Is Small Bussiness Server the same?

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Yes, WHS1 and WHS 2011 both do that. I don't believe SBS does, although Server 2012 Essentials (currently available for beta test) does and is much more "home oriented" than SBS.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:58 PM