none
Hard Drive Orientation RRS feed

• Question

• Does it matter with new sata drives which way they are sitting?  I have my whs on its side so the drives are sideways, will it cause any issues sitting the server back up or using the drives on other systems sitting normally?  I've heard things about bearings being worn certain ways.  Any one have experience with this?  Not really a WHS question, but my WHS is laying down under a table so it will be hidden.  Now i'm slightly concerned about the future usage of the drives.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:32 AM

Answers

• Taken from Western Digital faq:

"Physical mounting of the drive:
    WD drives will function normally whether they are mounted sideways or upside down (any X, Y, Z orientation). Of course, the physical design of your system may limit the positions in which the drive can be mounted. However, in all cases, you should mount the drive with all four screws for good grounding. Also ensure that there is enough air space around the drive for adequate air flow, and avoid mounting the drive near sources of excessive heat (such as some CPUs)."

Copied from Seagate support:

Question

Can I physically install my drive sideways, upside down or vertically?

Answer

All Seagate & Maxtor's internal hard drives can be fitted sideways or upside down. As long as they can not be moved during use and get enough cooling it is irrelevant in which direction they are mounted.

Monday, September 8, 2008 6:09 AM

All replies

• It won't matter.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Yep, all modern drives are designed to work in any orientation. 
    Monday, September 8, 2008 3:02 AM

• Taken from Western Digital faq:

"Physical mounting of the drive:
    WD drives will function normally whether they are mounted sideways or upside down (any X, Y, Z orientation). Of course, the physical design of your system may limit the positions in which the drive can be mounted. However, in all cases, you should mount the drive with all four screws for good grounding. Also ensure that there is enough air space around the drive for adequate air flow, and avoid mounting the drive near sources of excessive heat (such as some CPUs)."

Copied from Seagate support:

Question

Can I physically install my drive sideways, upside down or vertically?

Answer

All Seagate & Maxtor's internal hard drives can be fitted sideways or upside down. As long as they can not be moved during use and get enough cooling it is irrelevant in which direction they are mounted.

Monday, September 8, 2008 6:09 AM