OneCare going away???? RRS feed

• Question

• I was not a happy camper at reading this today.  I did not receive an email in November notifying me of this change.  If I had, I would have stopped the automatic renewal which happened at the end of April.

Is there any assurance that we will receive the same level of protection with the free product?  If there is not, then it's time for me to look for another solution.  I'm sure I'm not alone in having some sense of relief just from having a single product from Microsoft that manages updates, backups, av, spyware.  I certainly do not want to lose any of that functionality just because a free version is coming.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:06 AM

Answers

• E-mails regarding this change were not sent. The only information was posted in the One Care Team Blog. One Care will be fully supported and updated through the end of 2010 so your level of protection will not change. The new antimalware product will not have any of the One Care features except virus and spyware protection. Most of the One Care functionality that will be "lost" is already built into Vista and Windows 7 and for XP users a little tweaking will allow you to run defrag, disc cleanup and backup as scheduled tasks.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:02 PM

All replies

• E-mails regarding this change were not sent. The only information was posted in the One Care Team Blog. One Care will be fully supported and updated through the end of 2010 so your level of protection will not change. The new antimalware product will not have any of the One Care features except virus and spyware protection. Most of the One Care functionality that will be "lost" is already built into Vista and Windows 7 and for XP users a little tweaking will allow you to run defrag, disc cleanup and backup as scheduled tasks.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:02 PM
  • HI!

If you have renewed your subscription last April, definitely you will still be receiving the same support with Windows Live One Care.  As per the new product,  it's more of anti-virus, anti-malware, and anti-spyware protection.  With your Operating System (whether it's XP or Vista), you still have automatic updates.  With backup, you can always do a manual backup if you want.

-----
    bayabasgirl29

Friday, June 5, 2009 1:39 PM