One Care backup does not recognize eSATA drives RRS feed

• Question

• If One Care wants to compete in this market, it better fix these 2 shortcoming.
    1. Will not recognize eSATA drives
    2. Will not allow backup to added internal drives.
    With IEEE 1394 firewire it took over 12 hours to back up my 350GB of files.
    I went out and upgraded my PC to have an eSATA port and bought 1TB WD external drives with eSATA only to find out that One Care is not keeping up with technology.
    Why would I use 400KB/s when I can use 3GB/s?
    Looks like it is time to go back to Norton 360

Sunday, July 12, 2009 12:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Backup to e-sata or internal drives is unsupported. There is a workaround which should allow you to use an e-sata or internal drive as a backup destination in this post - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/22258a6a-3e94-4ac2-a3e7-b21683fb913c
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:29 AM
  • LarryandAmy,

This is one of several reasons that Microsoft is dropping OneCare, better to let the Operating System itself contain these functions (Windows 7) or the thrird-party market.  OneCare was positioned for the basic non-technical PC user, so it didn't ever deal well with cutting edge technologies for the added features like backup, which of course led to it being panned by the techies and uber-geeks.

Instead Microsoft will be offering Microsoft Security Essentials, a free anti-malware only product without the other added features, due to release about the same time as Windows 7.  This will be just the core basic protection that everyone should have, but without any bells and whistles to increase processor/RAM overhead or support issues and provided free so there's no reason not to have protection.

Since the OS must be upgraded to provide driver support for items like eSATA and other new technologies, the included backup and other programs in the newer OS (Windows Vista/7) will also contain more current support.  This is really the appropriate place for these features, not a security program, since it simply adds bloat and takes attention away from the reason the security program exists in the first place.  Unfortunately Microsoft had to learn this the hard way, but at least they have now and are fixing the issue.

Rob
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:54 AM