Windows 7 is Not Genuine message on bootup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a brand new Win 7 x64 system that was set up by an OEM -- a legitimate one. I activated Win 7 one month ago when the computer arrived. This morning, for the first time, I got the "May Not Be Genuine" message when Windows loaded. Not knowing if this was a genuine message, I got by the message and finally my desktop loaded. I'm running build 7600, and have accepted all of the Windows 7 updates. This obviously is a spurious message. Do I get rid of it by re-activating?

Thanks,

Jel
    P.S. Have read similar messages to my problem, but all involved a watermark version, which doesn't apply here.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:55 AM

Answers

• You can try reactivating. It is hard to tell you anything without details though, if reactivating it doesn't help then you can run mgadiag, click the copy button and post it here.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Now, there are a couple types of OEM keys, some are called SLP keys and are bios locked, the other type requires online or phone activation and are sold buy small OEM's, local computer shops, etc. The vast majority of these are legitimate, there are only a few bad apples that cause allot of problems. Your MGAdiag report will tell what type of oem key was used.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:10 PM