How to Clone Dialogs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    Is it possible to use same dialogs for multiple entities like phonecall,appointement,task,email etc. My main focus is to use this dialog for all the activities in CRM. In order to do this I have to create Dialogs individually for each and every single entity. I cannot clone the dialog and use it for a different entity. Is it possible to export the dialog as a solution and make changes on the parent entity and then publish the same dialog for multiple entities?

• Edited by CRMRocks Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:06 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi All,
    I want to know whether we can copy a dialog and use it for another entity as the steps for the dialog remain same for all the entities? So is there any option for copying a dialog?

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi All,
    I think I will be able to resolve my issue using Parent and Child Dialogs. But now I am stuck up with how to retrieve the resultant values from Child Dialog back to the parent dialog. If there is any possible way please let me know.

I have made a child dialog which is linked with Leads and Parent dialogs which are linked to Activities i.e. Emails, Appointments, Tasks, Fax, Phone Call, Letter. I am calling the child dialog (which are a common steps) from the Parent Dialogs. Now what I need is to retrieve the resultant value of this Child Dialog to the Parent Dialog. This resultant value will be emailed to the recipents/owners who have created activities.

I hope this helps in better understanding the case.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

To answer your first querstion: No, dialogs can only have one primary entity (which cannot be "acvitiy") so you;d have to either copy the dialog or leverage child dialogs to refactor your logic.

Also, child dialogs cannot pass anything back to the parent, only the parent can pass arguments to the child.

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Hi Gonzalo,

Thanks for your reply. I would like to know how to copy dialogs? It would be great if there is some direct or easire way to copy dialogs instead of creating dialog for each entity individually.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Hi Gonzalo,

Thanks for your reply. I would like to know how to copy dialogs? It would be great if there is some direct or easire way to copy dialogs instead of creating dialog for each entity individually.

First, you create your dialog prosess, and save it as a process template. Then you can create new dialog processes based on this template by choosing the new from template - option under "Type" when you create a new process
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Hi Torstein,

The problem over here is the process template should be having the same parent entity as that of the dialog. If we create a process template for Email Entity and then use it for creating a dialog for Phone Call it isn't possible.

In my case I would like to create a process template irrespective of an entity and use it as a reference while creating dialogs for different entities. Is this possible?

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:40 AM
  • You cannot copy a dialog/workflow for another entity, you have to re-create it manually. Unfortunately, there is really no work-around.

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hi Gonzalo,

Thanks for your reply. This can be actually put in enhancements to MSFT as there are many such scenarios where you have a generic workflow or dialog which can be later utilized for multiple entities. The template feature should be revised such that it can work across entities.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 1:01 PM