How do I move a Mesh Folder AND keep it Meshing? RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I move a Mesh folder (IE drag and drop somewhere else), Mesh can no longer find it to synchronize.  I'm sure there's an easy way to do this, please enlighten me!

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:55 PM

Answers

• Do you mean that you are moving a folder on the local PC from one location to another? For example, you have blue folder on the desktop called "Data" that is synchronized with Data on the Live Desktop and perhaps with other PCs, but you would like to move "Data" to be located within a folder called "Stuff" that is located within My Documents.

Moving the folder will indeed break the relationship.
    You need to right click the folder, select Live Mesh options, change sync settings and then change the folder to *never with this device*.
    Then you can move the folder.
    Sign onto the Live Desktop, select the folder and cahnge the sync settings to sync with that device again.
    The blue folder will reappear on the desktop, at which point you can select to merge that folder with an existing folder, navigating to the moved folder.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:52 PM

All replies

• Do you mean that you are moving a folder on the local PC from one location to another? For example, you have blue folder on the desktop called "Data" that is synchronized with Data on the Live Desktop and perhaps with other PCs, but you would like to move "Data" to be located within a folder called "Stuff" that is located within My Documents.

Moving the folder will indeed break the relationship.
    You need to right click the folder, select Live Mesh options, change sync settings and then change the folder to *never with this device*.
    Then you can move the folder.
    Sign onto the Live Desktop, select the folder and cahnge the sync settings to sync with that device again.
    The blue folder will reappear on the desktop, at which point you can select to merge that folder with an existing folder, navigating to the moved folder.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:52 PM
  • I was able to follow your directions up to  "selct to merge folder".
    I can not find the option to "merge" this folder with an existing folder.  I've right clicked and do not see this option.

-mike198534
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Mesh is a real mess.  Now I have duplicate shortcuts and duplicate folders.  This happens every time i try to manage folders.  While I love the mesh concept, I hate to use it because of the difficulty and the mess I have managing folders and docs.

This has been an ongoing issue for me since I firsted started using mesh a year ago.  I can not believe it hasn't been fixed.  Has MS abandoned Live Mesh in favor of Live Sync?  I haven't tried Live Sync since it seemed to duplicate the mesh functions, however, since I continue to have these issues with Mesh I'll check out if file management is suppported better in Live Sync.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:13 PM
  • When you click the icon on your desktop for a newly offered folder - light blue icon - it opens the sync options dialog. If you simply click OK, the folder syncs to the desktop. If you click Browse, you navigate to the folder you wish to sync to and select it. You will then get a warning about conflicts with an existing folder. Click OK and the existing local folder becomes the Mesh folder.

Live Sync is a released product that does not include the Live Desktop component. Live Mesh is a beta product that hasn't seen a major update in a while. Rumor has it that the two programs/services will be merged into one with the Wave 4 release of Windows Live products and services when they go to beta early next year.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:32 PM
  • I got my mesh folder to sync to a new location, but I found the wording of the description a bit misleading.  Here is how I did it:

1. set up the sync as you normally would.  The blue mesh folder will appear on the client machine's desktop.  Let it finish syncing.
    2. On the folder you want to move, right click and choose "change sync settings".  and choose "never with this device".  This will break the sync relationship.
    3. move the folder to where you want it.
    4. Right click on the folder you just moved and choose "add folder to live mesh".
    5. A dialogue box will ask you if you want to merge the folder.  Click OK.

worked for me.  I am loving live mesh.  This folder location hiccup is the only part of it that i find a bit annoying.  Since i found out that the storage limit only applies to the live desktop (does not affect peer-peer transfers) and that mesh is LAN aware (does not send all your data up to the internet when syncing across your LAN), I have done away with Synctoy which I was previously using.

UPDATE:

Thanks for listening Mesh Team.  It appears as though this problem has been solved.  Now when you add a new sync relationship, it asks you for a path.  Sweet deal.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Allthedamn,

I really, really like Live Mesh. I use it every day between XP, Win 7, and OS X.

But this one problem is really unpleasant. I don't agree that the "problem has been solved."

If you create the folder on one box and tell it how to sync with the other, the folder goes where it wants without asking. Then you have to do the convoluted unsync, move, resync, and merge.

If, however, you create the folder on one box and don't create settings for the other, you can then go to the other and use the Mesh tool from the notification area to start sync and pick a location.

Now that I know, it works fine, but figuring that out is not intuitive. This needs to be improved. Hopefully we'll see some merging of SkyDrive and Mesh and Office Live in Wave 4. Hopefully.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:25 PM
  • Allthedamn,

I really, really like Live Mesh. I use it every day between XP, Win 7, and OS X.

But this one problem is really unpleasant. I don't agree that the "problem has been solved."

If you create the folder on one box and tell it how to sync with the other, the folder goes where it wants without asking. Then you have to do the convoluted unsync, move, resync, and merge.

If, however, you create the folder on one box and don't create settings for the other, you can then go to the other and use the Mesh tool from the notification area to start sync and pick a location.

Now that I know, it works fine, but figuring that out is not intuitive. This needs to be improved. Hopefully we'll see some merging of SkyDrive and Mesh and Office Live in Wave 4. Hopefully.

No, it does not automatically go where it wants on the other devices. The shortcut goes to the PC desktop on all other PCs until you accept the sync relationship on that device by clicking OK, locking it to the Desktop, or by clicking Browse to navigate to an existing folder on that PC and accepting the warning about merging and conflicts to lock the relationship to the new location. It never automatically synchronizes to any location on other devices - it requires you to click OK or Browse - until you do that, the end point is nothing more than an offered shortcut.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Sorry, Steve, but I must disagree.

As I said, if you set the sync parameter for the second machine when you create the folder on the first machine, the folder is placed "where Mesh wants it -- on the desktop" without asking and without an option to move it.

In this scenario, you do not need to accept the folder or accept the sync options. Those were already set on the original machine.

If you just make the folder on the first machine and set sync on the second, then you have an option.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Sorry, Steve, but I must disagree.

As I said, if you set the sync parameter for the second machine when you create the folder on the first machine, the folder is placed "where Mesh wants it -- on the desktop" without asking and without an option to move it.

In this scenario, you do not need to accept the folder or accept the sync options. Those were already set on the original machine.

If you just make the folder on the first machine and set sync on the second, then you have an option.

If you configure the folder on the source machine to sync with PC #2, you only get a shortcut on the desktop of PC #2 until you click it as noted above. I've never seen it behave any other way. You cannot configure the end point for that Mesh folder anywhere other than on PC#2 - click the shortcut and then OK, it ends up on the desktop with no option to change it and sync begins. On the other devices and the Live Desktop you can ony select to sync or not sync a folder with another device or the Live Desktop. The folder will always appear on the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com even if you choose to only sync P2P.

The only exception to this is if you already have the sync relationship set up and reinstall Mesh on PC#2 without first removing the device from the Mesh.

-steve

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Live Mesh 0.9.4014.7 on Windows 7 Enterprise, Version 6.1

PC #1 is HDSCAN and PC #2 is HDT400

Your first point regarding the shortcut: PC #2 is not getting shortcuts for new Mesh folders that have not had sharing properties tweaked. I have to go to Mesh in the notification area and tweak the settings. Then they appear as ready-to-go folders. I have searched the entire PC #2 and the shortcuts are not there.

Your second point that "you cannot configure the end point for that Mesh folder anywhere other than on PC #2" is absolutely not true. You need to stop saying that. To show you, I have put a screen shot in SkyDrive showing the properties that can be set on the original folder on PC #1. Pic named MeshSettings01 shows how I said that PC #2 can sync when files are added or modified.

Here's the public folder with images:

http://cid-50334519a558b86c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Mesh%20Issue

The MeshSettings02 pic shows the properties for a new Mesh folder on PC #1 where I said not to sync with PC #2. When using these settings, the shortcut is not appearing on the second machine but I can add the folder from the notification area.

The third pic is of PC #2's desktop. MeshNewFolder shows the new folder on the second machine is ready to go after making the settings on PC #1. This is not a shortcut. I have not yet touched the folder on PC #2. Mesh put it "where it wants" on the desktop and it is a final, syncing folder, not a shortcut. When I do open the folder, the contents added back on PC #1 are there immediately. There is no ghost item waiting to sync. It's a done deal.

This latter folder is a problem. I don't want it on the desktop. I want it in a library. Now I have to unsync, move, etc. This is not good.

What else can I do to make it clear?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:33 PM
  • By the way, the shortcuts for new unsynced Mesh folders do appear on my XP box just as one would expect.

They do not appear on my Win 7 box.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:09 PM
  • No, Brian. The properties that you show in that photo allow you to configure which devices will sync that folder. At the top of the dialog, the folder name and location are specific only to the source machine. The list of devices can indeed be configured. When you specifiy in that dialog, at the addition of a folder to the Mesh, that the folder is to be synchronized with a device or devices, that does not define *where* on the target the folder will sync to.

In your first screen shot, I assume that you are adding the folder to the Mesh and are selecting which other PCs will be synchronizing with that folder. You can absolutely do this at the time of adding to the Mesh at any time thereafter in the Mesh client on any PC (manage folder - sync properties) or via the Sync properties at www.mesh.com. In image 1, you show that the folder will sycn with 2 PCs and the Live Desktop. You have *not* - nor can you - specify *where* on PC#2, HDT400, that folder will sync. The default location will always be the desktop on the target PC.

In image 2, you are correct. You have set to not sync with PC#2, only PC#1 and the Live Desktop. You can indeed change this after the initial setup from Manage Folders via the Mesh client or via folder's sync properties on the Live Desktop at www.mesh.com. In the state of this image, no shortcut will appear on any device in your Mesh offering this folder - with one exception. When you add a new device to the Mesh, all folders will be offered as available to that new device - as shortcuts on that device's desktop. This will happen shortly after the PC communicates with the Mesh following installation unless you also go to the sync properties for each folder and change the properties to not sync with that device.

Image 3 does indeed show the folder added to the PC as a Mesh folder on the desktop. If it immediately became a Mesh folder without you clicking though, something odd happened.

I have just stepped through the process and taken screen caps.

Image 1 shows the folder I added to the Live Desktop being offered as a shortcut to the PC.

Image 2 shows the dialog that appears on a click on the shortcut Mesh folder seen in image 1 - note the location and the Browse and OK buttons.

Image 3 shows the browse dialog

Image 4 shows that I've selected to Sync to C:\temp\test folder

Image 5 shows that the folder is now located within C:\temp\ and is a Mesh folder. Note also that next to the Zune desktop icon, the Mesh folder icon disappeared.

In your case, if the folder immediately appears as a solid folder on the desktop of the PC, that means that you clicked the OK when it was a shortcut on the desktop of PC#2 or something went wrong.

I suggest removing the folder from the Mesh completely from all locations, including the Live Desktop. When the desktop folder becomes a regular yellow Windows folder (on PC#2), delete it from the desktop. Now, on PC#2, add the folder back to the Mesh. Wait for the light blue folder to appear on the desktop and then follow the steps above to point to your desired location. That would be a physical location, not a Library, which is a virtual folder. Then go to the Sync settings for that folder on www.mesh.com and change the properties to not sync with any other devices where you do not wish to sync that folder.

-steve

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:30 PM
  • I should add that I have had a folder immediately become a solid blue Mesh folder on a destination device as you've described. Although I said you had to have clicked OK, I hope that you understand that I am also open to the possibility that somehow this did not work as designed on your Windows 7 PC. I have simply documented the way it currently is *supposed* to work. If it bypassed creating the desktop shortcut, try what I suggested - remove the folder from the Mesh or select never with this device, delete the folder on PC2 and try again. If it still fails to create the shortcut and again immediately becomes a folder that you can't move, I think that a reinstall of Mesh on that machine (after removing PC2 from the Mesh completely first via www.mesh.com) may be in order.

And, I'll add that I do hope that this entire process is cleaned up in the next version as being able to move a folder after it has become a sync end point needs to be easily done without this song and dance we have today *and* the ability to specifiy where to sync to on each device initially needs to be very easy to do.

-steve

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:43 PM
  • So we have a communication problem. When you say you cannot configure the end point, you mean you cannot tell the folder where to go on PC #2 from PC #1. Of course, but that's irrelevant.

My whole point is that if you configure syncing, not the location, from PC #1, Mesh might put the active folder and not a shortcut where it wants and it's a bear to move. That is inappropriate behavior and the average user will not know how to correct it.

You keep saying that can't be, that it's only a shortcut, and there's no problem. Despite my screen shots, you still hint that I'm mistaken. You say, "If it immediately ..." I told you it did. I gave you a screen shot. Still you say, "If ..." I give up.

Is my installation broken? I have no reason to believe it is, but who knows. What is clear is that Mesh works great for me with one annoyance and I have no reason to uninstall and go through the pain of reconfiguring many, many meshed folders when Wave 4 is on the horizon.

I'm willing to end our discussion.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:13 PM
  • BrienMuller, that's why I posted the second entry after my test. I honestly have never seen Mesh place the folder on the PC desktop as a Mesh folder and not a shortcut awaiting configuration as you have described as happening with you.

Please don't give up. I concede that this is still a beta and *anything* is possible.

I have been adressing 2 points in our conversation. Apparently, I misunderstood what you wrote for one of those points, hence my continued insistence that it was not possible configure the location of the folder on PC#2 from PC#1 when adding a folder to the Mesh from PC#1. As you've now stated - "of course not" - that was clearly a misunderstanding on my part - sorry.

For point number 2, I outlined what is supposed to happen and what I have always seen happen on every support operating system - xp, Vista, and Windows 7. Right now, that test folder is a shortcut - waiting for me to act on - as a light blue Mesh folder icon on several PCs here at home. I originally set up the test folder from my laptop while away from home. As each PC at home comes online, the shortcut is appearing.

My suggestions at this point are to try what I outlined above - remove your folder from the Mesh and remove PC#2 from the Mesh. Uninstall and reinstall the Live Mesh client on PC#2. Please let me know if the Mesh folders in your Mesh that may or may not have previosuly been configured for PC#2 to sync with appear as shortcuts on PC#2's desktop or actual folders. If shortcuts, as you noted happened on your XP machine, then add a new folder on PC#1 as you did for your example above, and let me know what happens. If the folder or folders appear on the reinstalled/re-joined PC#2 as actual Mesh folders, which we agree can't be moved, and not shortcuts - even just one of them - I think we're going to want you to submit you logs from that machine with a bug report and I'll ask Ken from the Live Mesh team to look at them.

And please accept my apologies for misunderstanding and for any harsh tone I may have conveyed in my replies.

-steve

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:12 AM
  • I just had the exact same thing happen. On PC1 I added a new Mesh folder and specified from that I want PC2 to also sync the folder. I saw the shortcut appear on PC2's desktop but it immediatley changed from a shortcut to a real folder without my touching it.

I removed it and added it again from PC2 and it prompted as expected and allowed me to browse for the location.

Rick

Friday, May 28, 2010 6:52 PM
  • I've not observed this behavior, Rick, bit clearly it happens based on the discussion in this thread and your experience.

-steve

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 1:06 PM
  • I got crazy with Live Mesh folder synchronisation:

On PC1 I created a Folder called C:\Tools in the Root of the C:-Drive, containing some important batch scripts which I need on every of my machines. I select to share with Mesh and everything works okay.

I Live Mesh desktop I select that Folder to share not just with PC1 but also with PC2, where there is no such a folder, but I hope will be created by Mesh synchronisation

What happened on PC2? Live Mesh creates a Tools Mesh folder on the User's desktop

On PC1 that Tools folder on the desktop will also be synchronized so I have two folders now and don't know where the recent versions of my files are stored.

That is a little bit strange. I never had the option to decide where to store a shared copy of a Mesh folder.

Can anyone which is more experienced give me a small description how to avoid the problem of the duplicated folder (sometimes even multiples) and to place the synchronized folders exact in that location I want them to be

Thanks in advance

Sincerely yours Oblomow

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:49 PM
  • The default location for a Mesh folder offered to other PCs in the Mesh is the Desktop of the other PC. To merge with an existing location, you must change the destination rather than accept the default. However, some people have reported that the offered folder is sometimes automatically made into a Mesh folder on the destination with no option to change. If this happens or if you accepted the default, you need to change the sync properties for the folder on www.mesh.com to not sync with PC2 and then manually move the folder once it changes from a blue Mesh folder to a normal yellow folder icon. Then change the properties again to sync with PC2 and follow the steps outlined below to merge with the existing folder.

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

-steve

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:57 PM