WHS HDD order RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is an easy question for SOMEONE to answer...

I had a WHS build running for a while on a rig with four 1TB drives.  I allowed WHS to partition and backup using its own protocol (ie I did not implement a RAID of any kind.)  The motherboard crashed and I rebuilt it but stupidly did not record what order the HDDs plug into the MB.  In other words, I have four 1TB drives and don't know what (or if it matters) order they should be plugged into the MB.  In BIOS the four SATA 1TB drives seem to be labelled similarly except they are designated 3M, 3S, SM, and 4S.

I can get WHS to boot up fine, but I cannot start the console.  Anyone have any ideas for me?
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 1:20 AM

Answers

I can get WHS to boot up fine, but I cannot start the console.  Anyone have any ideas for me?
    If you've got your server running on the new hardware without any problems, and without a server reinstallation, try running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe .

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Clipsncoils Monday, February 8, 2010 2:56 PM
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 3:43 AM

All replies

If you've got your server running on the new hardware without any problems, and without a server reinstallation, try running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe .

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Clipsncoils Monday, February 8, 2010 2:56 PM
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 3:43 AM

• Thanks for the help.  Actually, WHS went through a process of re-registering the hard drives automatically (this took a few hours) and since then it has functioned smoothly without any help from me.  I have to say, WHS is very impressive in terms of software stability.  To be able to completely replace the MB, CPU, and PSU and then just plug in the hard drives and go (in random order) without any reinstallation is pretty amazing.  Or damned lucky.  Or both.

Thanks anyway Ken, I appreciate it!
    Monday, February 8, 2010 2:58 PM
  • I am really surprised your WHS did not need a reinstallation. Usually the OS would require a reinstall, esp if the motherboard changes.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:24 AM