WHS and dual boot pc's any problems? RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a server and using whs.
    are there any known issues and/or suggestions for adding a dual boot pc to the network
    win xp home and vista home premium

thanx in advance
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:02 AM

Answers

• You are referring to a dual boot client PC, correct? If so... the biggest thing to be aware of is that you will want to make sure that all disks in the system are formatted for NTFS and not FAT or FAT32.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:24 AM
  • In addition to Brendan's comments, you should only install the connector on one of the operating systems on your dual boot PC. Install it in whichever operating system you are using most regularly. Windows Home Server will back up the other operating system as well.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:31 PM

All replies

• You are referring to a dual boot client PC, correct? If so... the biggest thing to be aware of is that you will want to make sure that all disks in the system are formatted for NTFS and not FAT or FAT32.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:24 AM
  • In addition to Brendan's comments, you should only install the connector on one of the operating systems on your dual boot PC. Install it in whichever operating system you are using most regularly. Windows Home Server will back up the other operating system as well.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:31 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    .. you should only install the connector on one of the operating systems on your dual boot PC.

Why ?
    I installed connector software on each of the 2 OS (XP and Vista) on my Dual boot main PC
    No problem
    But... I don't use the WHS backup utility..
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:42 PM
  • Installing on both operating systems will use two of the 10 client PC connections available to your server. In addition, the backup utility will complain about not backing up the one that you don't regularly boot, even though the partitions are backed up with the other operating system.
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:53 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Installing on both operating systems will use two of the 10 client PC connections available to your server

"10" seems enough in most of Home user needs  Wink
    Nb : in WHS services, I have seen that this number of "10" can be increased, when you are logged in Admin mode..
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:52 AM
  •  

KISS & you'll have >less problems< is what i firmly beleive in, I have a quad booting PC + a storage drive & everything backs up fine from having Connector installed on 1- partition/OS.

I have restored several OS's from my backups including Vista x64 even tho it was backed up from  Vista x86 OS.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:04 PM
  •  haole wrote:

..everything backs up fine from having Connector installed on 1- partition/OS.

I have restored several OS's from my backups...

Question:  Imagine :

- I Backup OS XP boot partition of PC1 HD1, to WHS, through the wired network

- One day, Impossible to reboot  PC1 because OS partition in notre readableble or is crashed on it's HD1

In this case:
    I cannnot access to PC1 desktop, so I can only acess to the WHS

=> From WHS, how can I RESTORE the boot partition of PC1 HD1, because, in this case, the boot partition of PC1 HD1 is not functional ? (then, no network and so on .)

If you tell me : "Make a DVD boot with saved image partition on it", then I will prefer "Drive image" as OS Backup soft, than WHS ;-)

Thanks for all Smile

Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:30 PM
  •  

Have you tried a restore yet?

If not here is what mine looks like, just before the restore starts after choosing which OS to go where

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2898/vistax64restore57yh4.jpg

My system partition is XP but here i am restoring Vista x64 where Server 2008 resides Smile

Just slip in the Restore CD in the PC you want to restore, run the wizard, have your NIC drivers on a flash drive ready & procede w/ the restore.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 4:51 PM
  • Jean-Max, in your OEM package was a disk labeled something like "PC Restore CD". (Probably in French... Smile )

You insert that disk in the PC you want to restore, and boot from it. It will walk you through the steps required to restore. If you need additional storage drivers in order to see all your drives, or network drivers to see your network, you will need to copy the folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" (again I assume in French) from a recent backup of that PC to a USB flash drive. Then you can use those drivers to allow the restore CD to see all your critical devices. You'll select which PC you're restoring, which logical drive or drives you're restoring from and to, and after a while (maybe as little as 1/2 hour, maybe as much as all night) your PC will have been restored.

This is all documented in a white paper on the Microsoft Web site, and repeatedly here in the forums.
    Monday, December 31, 2007 12:42 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Jean-Max, in your OEM package was a disk labeled something like "PC Restore CD". (Probably in French... )

Yesss ! : I find it : "CD de restauration d'ordinateur à usage domestique"

You insert that disk in the PC you want to restore, and boot from it. It will walk you through the steps required to restore. If you need additional storage drivers in order to see all your drives, or network drivers to see your network, you will need to copy the folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" (again I assume in French) from a recent backup of that PC to a USB flash drive. Then you can use those drivers to allow the restore CD to see all your critical devices. You'll select which PC you're restoring, which logical drive or drives you're restoring from and to, and after a while (maybe as little as 1/2 hour, maybe as much as all night) your PC will have been restored.
    This is all documented in a white paper on the Microsoft Web site, and repeatedly here in the forums.

Perfect !!

Thanks for the process and the link to the Pdf Doc

... and ........

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 11:09 AM