How does wake up on a wireless connection work for backup? RRS feed

• Question

• One thing that amazed me was that automatic backup worked just fine for laptops with a wireless connection that were suspended during the backup window - I didn't think that wake up on LAN would work for wireless, but it seems to.

However, when I try sending a wake on LAN message from the ASoft AutoExit add-in to that same laptop it doesn't wake up - I don't really care much as I just did it as a test, but I'd really like to know how the backup works when a manual WOL doesn't.

So is the backup really using a wireless WOL message, or does WHS do something clever like scheduling a wake up with the client software which just looks like WOL?

Thanks
    Steve
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:08 PM

Answers

• Your client computer wakes itself, using a hidden scheduled task and hardware timers. There is no Wake On LAN functionality in Windows Home Server (though some add-ins use WOL, and some OEMs have added it).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:08 PM

All replies

• Your client computer wakes itself, using a hidden scheduled task and hardware timers. There is no Wake On LAN functionality in Windows Home Server (though some add-ins use WOL, and some OEMs have added it).
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:08 PM
  • That clears up the mystery.  So does that mean that all client computers wake up at the beginning of the backup window and wait the entire time?  I'm asking this since the backups happen sequentially not concurrently and each client computer can't really know how long it'll take for its turn to come up and if preceding computers turn out to run a real long time they might not even get there on a given day.  Or maybe the client computers wake up periodically if they haven't been backed up yet and suspend for say an hour if their turn hasn't come up yet?

Steve
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:20 AM
  • While awake for a backup, a home computer will query the server for the current backup window and pick a random time within the first half of the window for the next backup. Then at that time the computer will wake and queue up for a backup. If there are no other backups running, it will begin almost immediately (a couple of minutes) then the computer will (if properly configured) go back to sleep at the end of the backup.

Monday, December 21, 2009 2:26 PM