XP system freezes while backing up at "Determining which clusters have changed" RRS feed

• Question

• The facts:
    • I'm running Windows Home Server SP2 with Power Pack 3, newly installed.
    • WHS Connector software downloaded from MS and installed on XP SP3 32-bit machine.
    • Only C drive is selected for backup on XP box.  Only other partition is Gateway's FAT32 Restore partition -- which is not mounted or selected.  No backup from this box has ever succeeded.  Only 
    • "Chkdsk C: /R" comes back clean
    • Memtest shows no memory problems
    • Only problem shown by Connector toolkit is unable to contact DHCP server, and I'm using static IPs all around
    • Backups from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit box work fine.
    The problem:
    • The entire XP box freezes when Backup at 6% showing status of "C: Determining which clusters have changed."  Same is true of automatic or manual backups.  The disk access LED on the front of the box stays lit and the fans are running at medium noise level indicating activity generating heat in the client while it's frozen (the irony of the mixed metaphor not withstanding).  The WHS box knows about this machine, but all I find when I search there is that the backups failed -- something I already knew...
    So I'm stumped and would welcome suggestions on how to get backup working on this XP machine.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:34 PM

Answers

• Well I found the problem...  The C drive on the XP box I was trying to back up was failing.  Chkdsk /R didn't think so.  Western Digital's disk exerciser didn't think so (when running from Windows), but when I ran WD's standalone version it froze real fast and eventually complained about an unresponsive interface.  It doesn't seem to have been a bad sector so much as a bad interface. 

I bought a replacement drive.  Acronis failed to make a copy (remember that bad interface on the source drive...?) but 4 attempts with Genie Backup Manager (GBM) gave me 3 partial backups that eventually spanned my data and I was able to use GBM's disister recovery feature to restore to a new disk.

After that WHS has been behaving quite reliably.

Except for my NIC issues -- but that's another matter and completely unrelated to this thread.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    On the Client, have you ever had any other backup or disk duplication program installed, or has the Volume Shadow Copy service ever been disabled? Any of these can interfere with the backup service.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 8:42 PM
  • I've had no other backup or disk dup software installed.  I am unaware of VSS ever being disabled (certainly never done by me on purpose).  Looking at the System Event log for the period immediately preceding the most recent seizure I see, over the span of 3 seconds:

The Volume Shadow Copy service was successfully sent a start control.
    The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state.
    The MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service was successfully sent a start control.
    The MS Software Shadow Copy Provider service entered the running state.
    The COM+ System Application service was successfully sent a start control.
    The COM+ System Application service entered the running state.
    The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service was successfully sent a start control.
    The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service entered the running state.

Next entry is 7 hours 39 minutes later when I cycled power on the machine.  None of the other logs show anything even remotely related, either in content or time.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Well I found the problem...  The C drive on the XP box I was trying to back up was failing.  Chkdsk /R didn't think so.  Western Digital's disk exerciser didn't think so (when running from Windows), but when I ran WD's standalone version it froze real fast and eventually complained about an unresponsive interface.  It doesn't seem to have been a bad sector so much as a bad interface. 

I bought a replacement drive.  Acronis failed to make a copy (remember that bad interface on the source drive...?) but 4 attempts with Genie Backup Manager (GBM) gave me 3 partial backups that eventually spanned my data and I was able to use GBM's disister recovery feature to restore to a new disk.

After that WHS has been behaving quite reliably.

Except for my NIC issues -- but that's another matter and completely unrelated to this thread.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:19 AM