Automated Backing up from one WHS to another, off-site WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a way to back up (nightly) a few key (smaller) files\folders on my windows home server to another home server at another location.  I setup both servers, one at my house for me and one for my father at his house.  Both locations have internet access.  My father has files he wants backed up automatically (off-site) nightly, even when he is not home.  I got him his WHS b\c he was paranoid of losing his daily progress on his "work".  Now, he has become obsessively concerned about offsite backups....I think it stems from a PC Magazine article he read.

Are the any add-ins for this?  Or any other great way?  I really don't want to subscribe to an online service, that is why I am looking into the WHS to WHS method.

Monday, August 23, 2010 4:46 AM

All replies

• My recommendation is to either subscribe to an online service (which won't be very expensive if there's not much data) or to use the server backup feature built into Windows Home Server and take a copy of the shares off-site regularly. If there's a significant amount of data, online services do get pretty expensive, and there may be issues around the length of time it takes to restore a large amount of data.

I'm not aware of any add-in that will sync the contents of two servers, though.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 23, 2010 12:16 PM