I cant find the recipt for my windows xp pro, wat am i gonna do? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought windows xp pro 3 years ago and only one month ago it tells me that it is not a valid copy of windows xp, i filled in the registration form to get the complimentary windows xp disc but has asked me to send my recipt with it but i dont have my one anymore, i still have the disk if that helps?help me!
    Wednesday, April 26, 2006 1:14 PM

Answers

• Ariel:

Please do not duplicate your posts. It clutters them up making it harder for our team to reply.

I would suggest reinstalling your copy of Windows for the Product Key on your computer to match the COA. Install using your COA Product Key.

In response to submitting a counterfeit report, I can't make any judgement calls on what the department responsible for doing the cryographic analysis. But yes, you must have all required elements for it to be considered for a free kit.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 12:11 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:32 PM
  • I am in the same boat. I bought a genuine XP Pro CD that has all the right security on it (Hologram etc. verified on the MS Site) and also got a COA. The computer now reports that XP Pro is not valid.

So I filled out the form for the complimentry Win XP Pro CD, attached pictures of the front and back of the CD along with a picture of the COA only to find out they want me to send the CD to them and not get it back. Gee, what am I supposed to do if they reject my proof. I don't have the receipt either. I'm already down the $200+ dollars I paid for it, and I can't afford to buy it again as I am a pensioner and there is not money to splash around again.

Obviously, it seems others are using my Key as everything I have is genuine.

Battler

Friday, April 28, 2006 4:04 AM
  • Battler:

Not necessarily. It may be a high quality counterfeit, rather than what you suspect to be a genuine copy of Windows.

What is the validation error you are recieving?

I recommend using this tool http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 to diagnose your machine. Can you verify the last digits of the Product Key - do they match your COA sticker?

-Phil Liu

Friday, April 28, 2006 5:08 AM
  • When I use the star on the bottom right of the screen I get  'This copy of Windows is not genuine'.

I downloaded the tool as suggested and the key numbers match what is on my COA. It reports

Genuine Validation Status: Invalid Product Key.

If my CD is a high quality counterfeit, then the pirates are wasting their time, they should be printing money.

Battler

Friday, April 28, 2006 5:36 AM
  • Battler:

I understand the issues you are currently trying to overcome (you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, correct?). I cannot guarantee the results of the counterfeit report cryptographic analysis, but I strongly urge you to submit a report. It couldn't hurt, right? I only see it as an extra chance to help your local shops compete with genuine software, and you may also recieve a free WGA Kit (Windows XP copy).

Below the "Genuine Validation Status, Invalid Product Key" - does it mention anything about a Product Key generator? (Can you give me the link that you are recieving?)

Please remember: We're here to help. I'll do my best to make sure your experience is as smooth as possible. Or at least as smooth as possible from now on. :)

Thanks,

-Phil Liu

Friday, April 28, 2006 5:46 AM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

Hey thanx alot it was helpfull, espesially the is your counterfite high qualaty, so i cheked it out and my disc still seems to be geniun, the hologram is embeded into the disk and does not peal off. Thanx anywayz

What is the error you're recieving?

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

Do you have a high quality counterfeit?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

Friday, April 28, 2006 6:07 AM
  • No there is nothing about a Product Key Generator

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.0):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****- (I blanked out the rest)

Windows Product Key Hash: XXXXXX=
    Windows Product ID: XXXXX

I've already submitted a report over the net along with front and back pictures of the CD and also one of the COA, but I am reluctant to send away my CD, knowing that it won't come back, if it's decided not to replace it; which the end of the report to MS says to do.

Friday, April 28, 2006 6:10 AM
  • I used that tool and the last digits did not match my COA sticker, so i am assuming this means that it is a counterfit, so what do i do now?

Friday, April 28, 2006 6:12 AM
  • Ariel:

Please do not duplicate your posts. It clutters them up making it harder for our team to reply.

I would suggest reinstalling your copy of Windows for the Product Key on your computer to match the COA. Install using your COA Product Key.

In response to submitting a counterfeit report, I can't make any judgement calls on what the department responsible for doing the cryographic analysis. But yes, you must have all required elements for it to be considered for a free kit.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 12:11 AM
  •  Battler in Australia wrote:

No there is nothing about a Product Key Generator

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.0):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****- (I blanked out the rest)

Windows Product Key Hash: XXXXXX=
    Windows Product ID: XXXXX

I've already submitted a report over the net along with front and back pictures of the CD and also one of the COA, but I am reluctant to send away my CD, knowing that it won't come back, if it's decided not to replace it; which the end of the report to MS says to do.

Battler:

It looks like your Product Key was generated by a non-sanctioned Key generator then, or the key posted on your machine was reported as stolen from the original manufacturer.. I suggest purchasing a WGA Kit or submitting the counterfeit report in its fullest.

I know that is not exactly what you want to hear, but I hope this helps.

-Phil Liu

Saturday, April 29, 2006 12:15 AM
  • Ok so i have put my windows xp disc in and clicked "install windows xp professional" and then it says:

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

I do not mind loseing my old files but I do not know how to delete the newer version of windows xp, can ou tell me how?

by the way, sorry about writing the message twice i just clicked something different to what i normaly do so i wasnt sure if you would get it.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 11:36 AM
  •  ariel_ophir wrote:

Ok so i have put my windows xp disc in and clicked "install windows xp professional" and then it says:

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

I do not mind loseing my old files but I do not know how to delete the newer version of windows xp, can ou tell me how?

by the way, sorry about writing the message twice i just clicked something different to what i normaly do so i wasnt sure if you would get it.

Ariel:

You must boot from the CD (during startup, there should be a command to press F8 before loading Windows to select booting from CD). The Windows XP CD will allow you to reinstall.

Sunday, April 30, 2006 1:29 AM
  • I tried doing that but it did not have that option. it only had all these other options, am i supposed to put my CD in while the computer is rebooting or do i just leave it in there during start up?
    Sunday, April 30, 2006 7:33 AM
  • You can leave it in during startup.

Hm... odd, you should have that option availible. Does your BIOS settings allow you to boot from network, hard disk, or CD drive?

Monday, May 1, 2006 4:42 AM
  • yes it does

Monday, May 1, 2006 8:16 AM
  • Ariel:

On some systems, bootup to CD drives may be set as F8, F10, F12, or even F2. Please consult your system manual for booting from specific drives.

Let me know how it goes,

THanks,

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 7:44 AM
  • Hey

Thankyou soooo much for your patients and help. Everything is fine now, i reinstalled windows and it doesnt say it is a counterfit anymore. Thanks sooooooooo much.

Ariel

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 9:40 AM