Win98 Windows 98 Network Compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 98SE machine (yeah, all me a luddite, whatever) because there are some old DOS games that I like to play.  I tried to connect via the network share to WHS but was not able.  The pop-up window does not ask for a username or ID; that's already filled in as "\\WHS\IPC$".  I entered all the passwords I know of and I couldn't get in.  Kept telling me the password was incorrect.  (I used the Admin password.)

It would be fantastic if WHS would allow the Win98SE machine to be able to download drivers, software, etc.

Can this be done?

Thanks,

-Matt

Monday, March 3, 2008 2:17 AM

Answers

• I'm not familiar with WHS, but this sounds like a common issue with Windows 98 & 2000/XP which, oddly enough, I just finished correcting a couple of days ago.

If it's the same as 2000 or XP, all you need to do is setup and account on WHS that matches the account name you're using for 98. I haven't tried it without a password, because I use TweakUI to login automatically. But, if your Windows 98 "Windows Networking" username and password are 98Machine and Password, simply setup the same user name and password on an account on Home Server.

Again, I don't have home server, but I'd hope that this takes care of it for you, too.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 2:59 PM

All replies

• You try enabling Guest access on that share, and using that account to connect?  Should work....

Monday, March 3, 2008 2:30 AM
  • I've got a Windows 2000 maching hooked up to the network and haven't had any problems accessing the shared folders on the Server.  I get it to work by using the Administrator logon. 

username:  Administrator

password:  (whatever you use to access the console)  you set this up when you first installed WHS

Windows 2k does not support the connector software so automatic backups are not possible.

Monday, March 3, 2008 2:33 AM
  • I'm not familiar with WHS, but this sounds like a common issue with Windows 98 & 2000/XP which, oddly enough, I just finished correcting a couple of days ago.

If it's the same as 2000 or XP, all you need to do is setup and account on WHS that matches the account name you're using for 98. I haven't tried it without a password, because I use TweakUI to login automatically. But, if your Windows 98 "Windows Networking" username and password are 98Machine and Password, simply setup the same user name and password on an account on Home Server.

Again, I don't have home server, but I'd hope that this takes care of it for you, too.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 2:59 PM