Vista validation failure RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a Dell Inspirion 530 with Vista last year and after several months the machine failed to boot.  Dell refused to  help me (because I replaced the power supply with a Corsair) and I had to fix it myself.  Replacing the motherboard fixed the boot problem but left me with another.  Ever since replacing the motherboard Windows thinks it's not genuine.  Again Dell refused to help me and sent me to Microsoft, calls to Microsoft sent me back to Dell.  I've been living with this problem for months, but now I can't get an update I need (DirectX) because I can't pass validation.  I just found these forums, can anyone help me validate?
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 11:57 AM

Answers

• Mjvan,

Unfortunately there aren't any options for using the OEM SLP Windows and Product Key. Several dynamics have occurred over a period of time. One option you do have is to purchase an OEM System Builder version of Windows Vista. I am not sure what Windows version you previously had but Windows XP isn't available for purchase anymore unless a business has some on hand.

Take care,

Stephen
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:44 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:43 AM

All replies

• Hello Mjvan,

Thank you for visiting us today. Licensing questions fall outside the WGA Program support scope as well as our expertise. There are a couple questions I would have for you.

-- Did you contact Dell Technical support prior making any upgrades/fix actions?

-- Why did you change the powersupply on your Dell Inspirion?

-- Why did you change the motherboard on your Dell Inspirion?

OEM licenses obtained thru a major manufacturer use a SLP technology.   
    Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

What happens if the motherboard becomes defective?  Please contact your manufacturer’s technical support for guidance.  You are permitted to change it and reinstall your OEM Vista license to it.  You should replace it with an identical board or the manufacturer's designated replacement. OEM licenses obtained thru a major manufacturer that uses SLP technology set the recovery or repair CD to look for certain bits in the BIOS of the official manufacturer's motherboards.  If such bits are not found, as they would not be if you replaced the defective board with one not from the original computer manufacturer, then the CD will refuse to install Vista.   Licensing links are posted below where you can address any concerns and question. 

Questions regarding Software Licensing Terms can be found at the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Thank you for the response and the explanation on SLP and COA keys.  In answer to your questions:

-- Did you contact Dell Technical support prior making any upgrades/fix actions?
    No, I did not anticipate any problems replacing a low-end Lite-on PS with a Corsair.

-- Why did you change the powersupply on your Dell Inspirion?
    Because the video card had power requirements greater than the preinstalled power supply.  I bought a cheap Dell ($600) to turn into a gaming machine by adding a high-end video card.  The configurations offered by Dell didn't include these kinds of cards, but the motherboard provided by Dell did support them.  So, when I added the nVidia 9800 GTX video card I upgraded the power supply at the same time.

-- Why did you change the motherboard on your Dell Inspirion?
    The machine worked great for 3 months, then one day it failed to boot and wouldn't even pass the self tests.  After several hours on the phone with Dell tech support it was determined the motherboard was at fault.  However, after the tech support rep discovered I had replaced the power supply (my fault for being honest) he immediately refused to offer me any more support and told me my warranty was void.  He declared I had electocuted my system by placing such a large power supply inside.  I never heard anything so ridiculous before.

Nevertheless, I asked the Dell rep to sell me a new motherboard because the computer needed to be fixed one way or the other.  To my complete shock, Dell offered to sell me a new motherboard for $400, almost the cost of the original system.  Insulted, I hung up.  The motherboard Dell put in the Inspirion is $99 online.

A week later the computer finally booted and Windows started.  Except now I get messages telling me to "Activate Windows" and that Windows is not genuine.  I tried to follow the activation instructions but the key code stuck on the case didn't work.  I spoke with Windows Activation at MS, I don't recall the whole conversation, and was instructed to get a new key from Dell.  I called Dell and tried to ask for a new key but the rep began harping about the power supply being replaced and they wouldn't help me.

What are my options for activating Windows on this machine again?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Mjvan,

Unfortunately there aren't any options for using the OEM SLP Windows and Product Key. Several dynamics have occurred over a period of time. One option you do have is to purchase an OEM System Builder version of Windows Vista. I am not sure what Windows version you previously had but Windows XP isn't available for purchase anymore unless a business has some on hand.

Take care,

Stephen
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:44 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:43 AM
  • I finally solved this problem by stumbling over the answer.  What I find most frustrating is that in all of my postings for help and phone calls to Dell and MS, this simple solution was never mentioned.

Control Panel - System Maintenance - System - CHANGE PRODUCT KEY

Typed in the COA key from the sticker and clicked accept, Windows activated.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Thanks.
    I tried that and all I get is:
    Code 08x0070426

The service has not been started.

I went into Service Manager and turned on SL UL Notification (which popped up "unauthorised change etc") and software licensing which says it is running (as does S UL notwithstanding the pop up) repeated the same and got the same error.

Any ideas anyone as I cannot afford to clean install but then again I can not aford to lose another days work.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:47 AM
  • As an update having spoken to an ACER technical bod it seems the only answer at the moment is a fresh install.
    Unless Microsoft can come up with a fix (which seems unlikely)
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:58 AM