none
My Threads - Add the option to show over 60 days RRS feed

• Question

• Per today's update, we now only have access to the past 60 days in the My Threads view.

I would like the option to see my entire thread history. The My Threads view was the easiest way for me to find older threads that I've responded to/answered that I would like to reference for current threads. The search tool is still next to useless, so I can't use that as an alternative.

I'm open to other suggestions on how to accomplish this, but I would really like to have my entire history available to me in some way.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,575+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:04 AM

All replies

• I agree.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:22 AM
  • Wholeheartedly agree, this new change is amazingly shortsighted.  It is like they are purposely making the place worse with each update.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:21 PM
  • Hi Mike ,

Do Aggree With You, We should have access to all are thread we have POSTED so Far.
    When we face similar challenge in our technical Task ,we can Look our older post to refer them Where Experts have Given There Suggestion,which Help solving our Query fast ,

Else we would be Posting Same issue Again What we faced Earlier.

All are Thread were the Collection of challenges we faced,and Related Suggestion..

At Least I have not Document all the Solution Provided by Experts ,thinking MSDN forum have all of them :( and can be access any time ..

Reuest to Forum team to Provide access to our HISTORY

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:21 AM
  • Mike,

you got my vote for this suggestion. I haven`t been active quite a while now and all my My Threads view shows is one page of history. That is just annoying.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

My Forum Threads

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:06 AM
  • What possibly could be the motivation behind this desire to have it all forgotten?

The rationale for limiting the display to 60 days was to eliminate long response times and sometimes complete failure of My Threads.

I mostly use My Threads to see if there is activity in my recent threads, so that 60 days is plenty for me. But if there were an option to choose how many days, I think that would be good. Or maybe two different links, My Threads (recent) and My Threads(all).

The thing is though I have not noticed any improvement of My Threads response time since the change, and in fact the old My Threads had been working quite well for me recently.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:34 AM
  • I never had before problems with responsible times while searching.

Now it works as shit. Really!

I suggest make My Threads for each section. My Threads on Server, My Threads on Exchange, and so important My Threads on PowerShell.

I now, it is easy to implement for Forum Programmers Team. They so like "checkmarks":

Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:28 AM
  • Anahaym, I think your proposal is the 'Rolls-Royce' solution. I doubt if Microsoft could or would spare the time to implement it. However, something needs to be done about this. I have a history of threads going back a few years, most of which contain some very useful reference information. I've used this information on more than one occasion and it's been a 'life saver'. Now, I can't access it at all.

Please, Microsoft, provide me with access to all My Threads !!

Regards,

RobDev

RobDev

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:27 PM
  • RobDev, I understand you. himself used the search Threads for solutions my situations. As example, i can't remember all powershell codes. Microsoft can to spend time for implement any proposals. They did it many times. And "60-days only" not an exception. ;)
    Friday, January 17, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Request MS to get all the  threads in my history instead of purging  old threads!!

Das

Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:29 PM
  • I agree!  I depend on these forums to help me in my work and to remember how to solve various problems!  Please restore our entire histories, Microsoft!

Ryan D

Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:31 PM
  • I depend on these forums to help me in my work and to remember how to solve various problems!

Does that mean you liked to browse back further than 60 days to find your stuff?  What I want is to be able to search reliably for my stuff.   Having to resort to sequential browsing is an irritating PITA.  The only reliable way that I have to do this currently is to use the NNTP Bridge and search offline.  Otherwise, I can try using in this order:  Microsoft search, BING and Google and still not be shown something that I know my query should be able to find--assuming each search engine has complete knowledge of all "my threads".  At one point we were told that we could search this way (using Microsoft search) but sadly it never lived up to its promise.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/436c0821-e7a7-4ba6-8a0a-b34b0ec37ba6/how-to-use-the-search-of-the-forum?forum=vbgeneral

meta:Search.MSForums.ThreadContributorUserName("Robert Aldwinckle on forums")

(4 hits)

BTW this is why I have had to resort to using a signature, so I at least have some hope of finding my stuff using a general search engine but as noted not reliably.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:34 PM
  • Yes Mr. Aldwinckle, that's what I'm saying.  I have used the Forums to search my previous threads before for the past 5 years and this has been immensely helpful to me!  With memory as cheap as it is these days, it's a mystery to me why MS would ever limit us to the past 60 days?!  But hopefully if enough of us complain about this, they will increase our quotas.  I agree that using a more general search engine is not optimum and very lacking!

Ryan D

Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:40 PM
  • Yes Mr. Aldwinckle, that's what I'm saying.  I have used the Forums to search my previous threads before for the past 5 years and this has been immensely helpful to me!  With memory as cheap as it is these days, it's a mystery to me why MS would ever limit us to the past 60 days?!  But hopefully if enough of us complain about this, they will increase our quotas.  I agree that using a more general search engine is not optimum and very lacking!

Ryan D

As I pointed out before, the 60 day limitation is for response time of the query. Nothing to do with memory conservation.

I do not think people would be complaining about the sixty days if the forum search worked properly.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:28 PM
  • I can depend on my own personal offline archives

Presumably automated?  Care to share how you do that?  For making better use of my content I have been musing about trying some kind of systematic use of OneNote but I'm not even sure how much I would use it.  Seems like it would add a considerable extra layer of effort to much of my work.  But supposedly it would at least be searchable!

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:16 PM
  • How do you access your personal offline archives?  I can only see my archives from the past 60 days.

Ryan D

Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:49 PM
  • I can only see my archives from the past 60 days.

If you have been subscribed to your RSS feed for your My Threads you will probably be able to see more than that.   However, if it is IE's implementation you will be limited to 2500 threads but only be able to view (apparently) 1000 at a time.   WTH?

But this highlights another forum deficiency because the only details you would be able to search for would be ones that the OPs included.  If the forums' RSS feeds would give us new messages, not just an indication that a thread contained new messages, we could use RSS feeds for our archives (ignoring the above limits by using better tools than IE's Feed support.)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, January 19, 2014 2:19 AM
  • I also want the full history back !!!

Under Profile-Activity you can see your activities so I think (and hope) it is'nt really erased. This view, under Activity is'nt a replacement for "My Threads" !

Aaaand I want my old newsreader back. With that I had full control over what I want to see !!!

Freudi

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:48 AM
  • ACK like the rest, i want my history back!!

Often i have to revisit an old post when some infrequent issue re-appears.

Greg Roberts

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:19 AM

• Aaaand I want my old newsreader back. With that I had full control over what I want to see !!!

Freudi

What do you mean by this? The NNTP bridge is available again (with a couple of bugs that will soon be resolved, we hope).

The choice of newsreader is up to you.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:23 PM
  • Agree. It is very limiting to only see back 60 days of thread you contributed to.

For those of us who have been contributing for a number of years, this is a very bothersome limitation.

Bill

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:31 PM
  • As I pointed out before, the 60 day limitation is for response time of the query. Nothing to do with memory conservation.

'60 days' is not a volume measure - for some people that will be a few posts and for other it could be hundreds.   If the consideration really is response time it ought to be a number of posts, not a number of days.

I do not think people would be complaining about the sixty days if the forum search worked properly.

Yes.  Absolutely.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:13 AM
  • i have over 300 hundred threads that i depend on to remember fixes. please restore!!

Anand_N

Thursday, January 30, 2014 9:45 AM
  • I am incredulous about the decision to remove the thread older than 60 days
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:26 AM
  • forget about the refund. Microsoft never returned the previous function.

ourselves arranged under it that is.

• Edited by Anahaym Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:12 PM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Hi Developers,

if you are all so righteously enraged at the removal of you thread history after 60 days, how come Mike's proposal has 28 replies but only (at the time of writing) 18 votes?

Come on guys, don't just complain, vote as well.

Maybe  the forums should have an electronic petition facility.

Cheers,

RobDev

RobDev

Friday, January 31, 2014 10:27 AM
  • vote!

Anand_N

Friday, January 31, 2014 2:12 PM
  • +1.

Thanks,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Community and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile

Saturday, February 1, 2014 6:14 AM
  • It is very annoying.

Please return our threads. If there are too many in the records, can we have the option of deleting the ones of our choice.??

Leon C Stanley - - Aussie boy. Don't worry about history. Last 60 days is enough. Blindly trust what present day gurus say ? ! ^^ :-)

Monday, February 3, 2014 4:02 AM
  • at least give us a chance to backup our threads! then u can go ahead and put back the 60day

Anand_N

Monday, February 3, 2014 1:42 PM
  • at least give us a chance to backup our threads! then u can go ahead and put back the 60day

Anand_N

No, I'd want this returned as a permanent feature.

Ed Price suggested in another thread that we should use the Site Feedback link (which only appears on TechNet branded pages, not MSDN for some reason, click here if you don't see the link) as another method of requesting this feature be returned. If anyone wishes to do so, have at it.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,575+ strong and growing)

Monday, February 3, 2014 2:33 PM
  •  I agree 100% on letting us have the option to search back more than 60 days. I have many threads that will really be hard for me to find again. Many that i like to give as a reference so i don`t have to re-post the code and completely re-explain the whole thing again.

EDIT : It might have been suggested already but, many forums give the user the choice to unsubscribe to threads that where not important to them and keep the ones they liked for referencing. That would be good enough for me as there are quite a few that i don`t care to keep and many older than 60 days that i really would like to keep track of.

• Edited by IronRazerz Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:54 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:06 AM
  • The beauty of MSDN forum is/was to view all your threads dating back to your college/fresher days. Please let veterans to go revisit history or please redirect all the history threads to the email inbox.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:28 AM
  • Yes.. We need to have an option to view all the threads. I never made a copy of the solutions of the threads I posted assuming that I will have access to them anytime in the forum thru my account. But this is a disappointing change.. Please restore us a way to get back to our old threads.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:38 PM
  • I used to frequently use this forum before  when the forum was in its original (working) format - then it changed for the worse. I've only been back maybe 3 times since the redesign - its just so unusable.

On my last visit I was shocked that I couldn't find earlier threads than 60 days back - wow, what is then the purpose of these forums? How are we meant to learn from these forums? How do we get back to the previous posts and learnings?

Perhaps with the new MS CEO, the MS direction will shift and this forum can return to its original and working state...

This forum should be shelved with the other MS classics like: Windows Millenium, Windows Vista and Windows 8 ;)

• Edited by D Wind Friday, February 7, 2014 2:18 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 1:06 AM
  • please rememeber to vote!they should have at least given fair warning that we wouldnt have access. please rememeber to vote!

Anand_N

Friday, February 7, 2014 10:22 AM
  • where do we vote?
    Monday, February 10, 2014 3:11 AM
  • where do we vote?

Hi,

At the top of this thread you will see a little up arrow on the left side of Mike`s post that you can click to vote.

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:43 AM
  • Restore the full history of threads!

I can't believe there are only 27 votes (including mine) in nearly a month. This needs to be corrected immediately. Microsoft, it is a disgrace to have one of the worst forums on the Internet, with problems such as incompatibility with your own browser!? Yes, we have all noticed that it's slow to display all threads, but how about fixing it instead of breaking it further? There are forums maintained by volunteers, hosted in their basements, that are much better than this. We are professionals, we don't need no fancy features, but we do need it to work so we can communicate with each other. This is unacceptable!

Kamen

Currently using Visual Studio 2010 SP1, native C++ (Windows API) and C# (.Net, WPF), on Windows 7 64-bit; Mountain Time zone.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:32 PM
  • v-o-t-e     t-h-i-s      t-h-r-e-a-d

Anand_N

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:21 AM
  • Hi,

I need to access my threads beyond 60 days (aka. all of my threads)

Thanks!

Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:44 PM
  • I though my previous thread is still active but today is gone. i have a lots of references that is very helpful.

hoping this will resolve soon. just

you got my vote for this suggestion. I haven`t been active quite a while now and all my My Threads view shows is one page of history.

Count me in to access the history . thanks.

Monday, February 17, 2014 5:40 AM
  • Over the last 5 years, we have seen a steady diminution of all the "fruit" and "bells and whistles" usually associated with a healthy forum experience. But this latest tragedy alone is worse than all the previous disappointments combined. This is outright theft, and those responsible should be publicly shamed. Those threads rightfully belong to us.

Voting won't make any difference. What we need is divine intervention to have our threads returned to us.

Leon C Stanley - - Aussie boy. Don't worry about history. Last 60 days is enough. Blindly trust what present day gurus say ? ! ^^ :-)

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:19 AM
  • I understand the need to become more efficient but my all threads are really useful to me. Is there some way to get these back and/or store them locally?
    Friday, February 21, 2014 11:12 AM
  •  I agree this is getting ridiculous !!!! I would really like to get to some of my old threads. I know i posted code on some of them that i real need to get a link to and can`t find them !!!! They should at least let us get the links to our old posts so we can at least store them on our own machine if they are not going to listen to any of us who make these forums worth coming to for help !!!!

Please give us our thread links at least for a day !!!! I feel like you have no interest in what we say because i have not seen anyone trying to help with this except the people on this thread. If you really care for the members who spend a LOT of time and put in a LOT of effort to help others with your programming products and languages then it seems to me you would help us get to the threads that we would like to get back!!!! Sorry if this sound rude but, after searching for an hour and i can`t find some of the ones i am looking for because i can`t remember the names of the questions.   :(

Friday, February 21, 2014 11:36 PM
  • after searching for an hour and i can`t find some of the ones i am looking for because i can`t remember the names of the questions.   :(

Try using Google, filtering your queries with:

ironrazerz  site:microsoft.com

or BING with  &mkt=en-us  appended to your Address bar URL.  Note that either then provide the possibility of finding things within at least a month while using sensible refined queries (e.g. not filtered by OR logic)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:47 AM
  •  I agree this is getting ridiculous !!!! I would really like to get to some of my old threads. I know i posted code on some of them that i real need to get a link to and can`t find them !!!! They should at least let us get the links to our old posts so we can at least store them on our own machine if they are not going to listen to any of us who make these forums worth coming to for help !!!!

While I agree that this 60-day limitation was probably a mistake, I am puzzled by people who say a full My Threads listing is helpful for finding old threads. For me, a complete My Threads listing has many many (many) pages. How am I supposed to find a particular thread?

Unless I am missing something, it is much easier to use Bing or Google (preferably with site specification). Of course the forum search should be the tool for this, but it is hopelessly broken. Broken forum search is the real problem here.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:07 PM
  • after searching for an hour and i can`t find some of the ones i am looking for because i can`t remember the names of the questions.   :(

Try using Google, filtering your queries with:

ironrazerz  site:microsoft.com

or BING with  &mkt=en-us  appended to your Address bar URL.  Note that either then provide the possibility of finding things within at least a month while using sensible refined queries (e.g. not filtered by OR logic)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

I will try this but, i still feel like we shouldn`t have go threw the trouble of doing this. The threads should be accessible threw our threads in the forum.    :)
    Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:30 PM
  • While I agree that this 60-day limitation was probably a mistake, I am puzzled by people who say a full My Threads listing is helpful for finding old threads. For me, a complete My Threads listing has many many (many) pages. How am I supposed to find a particular thread?

Unless I am missing something, it is much easier to use Bing or Google (preferably with site specification). Of course the forum search should be the tool for this, but it is hopelessly broken. Broken forum search is the real problem here.

I agree that we don`t need all the threads but, if we had an option like i mentioned in my first post it would make life easier. Here is what i suggested we need.

" It might have been suggested already but, many forums give the user the choice to unsubscribe to threads that where not important to them and keep the ones they liked for referencing. That would be good enough for me as there are quite a few that i don`t care to keep and many older than 60 days that i really would like to keep track of."

Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:34 PM
  • if someone has already suggested this, sorry, but

would it be possible to search for threads that were started by "me" and/or were contributed to by "me"?

that would help me.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:47 AM
  • Allow to searching my threads (e.g. meta:Search.MSForums.ThreadContributorUserName) is a better way to solve this. Even with the feature restored I have no hope to find a particular reply (I think I got 30k of these here). But then I will miss my replies in moderator forums...

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:06 AM
  • I absolutely agree.   Many times I have needed to go back and look at an older thread; trying to find out if anything newer on an issue was later posted, to retrieve issue descriptions for other submissions, to retrieve other proposed solutions if the apparent best ones didn't work, to find which forum was appropriate for a similar posting, and for many other reasons.

Please, please reverse this short-sighted decision to say nothing older than two months has value to the submitters.

-Bob

Monday, March 3, 2014 2:31 PM
  • must I add something like [dalai] to each of my threads so I can find them after 60 days?

Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:21 PM
  • I agree, please restore.................

Monday, March 10, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Please, please, please, return the ability return our old threads. They are invaluable.  Like so many others, I counted on My Threads as a reference library.  It also contributed to my CV in terms of issues in which I had made valuable contributions.

Sincerely,

Dan Jameson
    Associate Director of IT/DBA
    Children's Oncology Group
    http://www.ChildrensOncologyGroup.org

Monday, March 10, 2014 5:16 PM
  • Unless I am missing something, it is much easier to use Bing or Google (preferably with site specification). Of course the forum search should be the tool for this, but it is hopelessly broken. Broken forum search is the real problem here.

You are missing something. Search engines are fine if you can remember the exact phrasing in an article.  Sometimes, however, it takes searching and jumping around several branches of links to find solutions that are not well labeled and did not turn up directly in search attempts.  Finding those again is difficult, if not impossible.

Dan Jameson

Monday, March 10, 2014 5:21 PM
  • Unless I am missing something, it is much easier to use Bing or Google (preferably with site specification). Of course the forum search should be the tool for this, but it is hopelessly broken. Broken forum search is the real problem here.

You are missing something. Search engines are fine if you can remember the exact phrasing in an article.  Sometimes, however, it takes searching and jumping around several branches of links to find solutions that are not well labeled and did not turn up directly in search attempts.  Finding those again is difficult, if not impossible.

Dan Jameson

I meant unless I am missing something about searching My Threads. I estimate that I have participated in roughly 5000 threads in the Microsoft forums. At 20 threads per page, that is 250 pages.

How would you suggest that I search these 250 pages for some particular thread?

• Edited by davewilk Monday, March 10, 2014 10:21 PM typo
    Monday, March 10, 2014 7:06 PM
  • How would you suggest that I search these 250 pages for some particular thread?

One way would be to exploit the RSS feed but to do that someone would have to add the logic to their feed reader which enabled whole threads to be captured.  Doesn't sound too difficult, at least in an inefficient way.  Perhaps some have found out how to do that and this is what is causing the server overhead that this 60 days limit was intended to avoid?  In that case such restricted implementations could just exacerbate the problem they were put in place to try to solve.   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, March 10, 2014 8:50 PM
  • You can also apply filter based on answered, code, type of the thread. You can also have an idea of when that thread was written.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, March 10, 2014 8:58 PM
  • Surely the longer this continues unaddressed the more likely repetition and duplication will occur?
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:05 AM
  • I meant unless I am missing something about searching My Threads. I estimate that I have participated in roughly 5000 threads in the Microsoft forums. At 20 threads per page, that is 250 pages.

How would you suggest that I search these 250 pages for some particular thread?

OK point taken. Those of you that have a job that affords you the time to be so involved can go with the 6 month option. Those of us with aren't so lucky and need the stuff we have found could go with the keep them all option.  Isn't that the title of this thread?

Dan Jameson

• Proposed as answer by LeonCS Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Sunday, March 16, 2014 5:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:36 AM
  • IT IS BACK !!!
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:48 AM
  • IT IS BACK !!!

Yes, it is back. But AFAICT it was not put back as an option, so once again it is painfully slow for those who have a lot of threads.

Management: Please make the sixty days an option if the performance of My Threads cannot be improved in some other manner.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:23 AM
  • Thanks I have all my threads now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Anand_N

• Edited by Anand_N Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:31 AM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:31 AM
  • Thank you for returning the full thread list to us.

I would still like to see an option for 60 days (allowing us to set an arbitrary amount of days would be best, IMHO), but this is definitely better than before.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,700+ strong and growing)

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:51 PM
  • Thank you for returning the full thread list to us.

I would still like to see an option for 60 days (allowing us to set an arbitrary amount of days would be best, IMHO), but this is definitely better than before.

In my opinion it is worse. For me it is definitely worse, because there is a huge delay caused by showing parts of the list that I never look at.

An option is the only way to go, IMHO, unless the performance issue of the full list can be resolved in some other way.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:58 PM
  • In my opinion it is worse. For me it is definitely worse, because there is a huge delay caused by showing parts of the list that I never look at.

An option is the only way to go, IMHO, unless the performance issue of the full list can be resolved in some other way.

I certainly agree with you that the delay isn't a good thing.

We frequent posters are going to be impacted by this, absolutely, but I'll deal with that so that people who don't post as often as us can still have some sort of useful experience when using My Threads. My initial request was very specific about asking for an optional full view rather than just rolling the change back completely.

EDIT: As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, fixing the search tool would render this entire discussion as moot. I'd prefer if development time was spent there instead of implementing my additional arbitrary date range idea.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:03 PM
  • Agreed with Mike - fixing the search tool would greatly improve the entire forum experience.  Apparently 140 votes got their attention on this issue.  Maybe we can get their attention on the search tool by voting on that thread:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9cf8ad4b-5111-4f84-9809-99cd8f1b7152/make-the-forum-search-tool-useful?forum=suggest

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:06 PM
  • FYI - All our threads are back, as of today

Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:34 PM
  • FYI - All our threads are back, as of today

Well, yes, as already stated and commented upon in this thread.

Friday, March 14, 2014 12:40 AM
  • I agree with the above sentiment, having control is better, i could like with the last 60 days as the default so long as there was a "see all" option.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:37 AM
  • Thank you Microsoft, for listening to your audience and restoring our threads and thank you Mike Laughlin, for starting this thread off and getting them restored. Any future enhancements regarding thread search tools/filtering will just be a bonus.

RobDev

RobDev

Monday, March 24, 2014 9:07 AM
  • Thank you Microsoft, for listening to your audience and restoring our threads and thank you Mike Laughlin, for starting this thread off and getting them restored. Any future enhancements regarding thread search tools/filtering will just be a bonus.

Actually, Microsoft listened to a portion of their audience. For people with a lot of threads, the 60-day option was far preferable.

What is needed here is improved search, and/or an option to personalize My Threads.

Monday, March 24, 2014 11:12 AM
  • Thank you Microsoft, for listening to your audience and restoring our threads and thank you Mike Laughlin, for starting this thread off and getting them restored.

You're welcome, but the thanks really should go to everyone who voted and voiced their opinions.

Actually, Microsoft listened to a portion of their audience. For people with a lot of threads, the 60-day option was far preferable.

I agree that the slow loading time is pretty bad. As I've stated elsewhere, I really didn't intend for the entire change to be rolled back. All I wanted was the option to view all of my thread history.

We frequent posters are definitely impacted by this, but IMHO this is still a good change for the majority of the forum users. There are many users who refer back to their older threads when they need that same information again down the road. I would rather deal with slow loading time than having to answer the same questions every 60 days when people are unable to find their original threads.

What is needed here is improved search, and/or an option to personalize My Threads.

Yes, absolutely. A good search feature and a customizable date filter should solve this problem once and for all, for everyone.

Monday, March 24, 2014 2:55 PM
  • Mike wrote "There are many users who refer back to their older threads when they need that same information again down the road." and I agree with that statement. However I believe it is only needed because the search facilities are so primitive. If we could search for keywords within posts we wrote then I believe the forums could be much easier to use.

Regards

Adrian

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:48 AM
  • I now frequently get Server error or slow response.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:57 PM

• We frequent posters are definitely impacted by this, but IMHO this is still a good change for the majority of the forum users. There are many users who refer back to their older threads when they need that same information again down the road. I would rather deal with slow loading time than having to answer the same questions every 60 days when people are unable to find their original threads.

The thing is though, people like me use My Threads many many times per day in order to check on threads they have responded to that might have follow-up from the OP or another responder.

That is, frequent posters are answerers, and therefore also frequent users of My Threads. The delay is not an occasional annoyance, but a constant annoyance.

I do not think that people re-asking questions that they asked more then 60 days ago is a major phenomenon. People often re-ask questions within a few hours or days, but that (I think) is because they cannot find their original thread because they do not know about My Threads at all. For these people, 60 days would be fine.

But no question, choice and/or better search are the real solutions here.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:51 PM
  • awesome !!!! Search by category! Give us more categories )))

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:34 PM