Remote Access not working at all :( RRS feed

• Question

• I have the all the relevant ports forward as needed BUT you can NOT access the server remotely outside of my network.  The remote access option says it can not get a connection so although all the relevant connections work fine internally, externally nothing.

If I change the port forward to a different IP address they all work fine - they are only blocked when pointed to the WHS IP.

I have seen else where on here people have had the same issue back in 2008 but there appears to be nothing since and it's now 2010 - so has anyone come up with a working solution / patch as yet ?

A while back it used to work - so it looks like its a patch or application which is causing the conflict.

I currently have SharePoint working internally but I really need to be able to access this externally - any help any one can provide would be most usefull.

Many many thanks for your time

Simon C

Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:41 PM

Answers

• 1. I have now gone into the IIS and found that the webservices - was stopped, which I now changed to be running. - once this was done the remote access option still did not let accept remote access but, went a lot further than it did before. - which appears to have been the main issue. (so I have now gone on to do 2 to 4 now)

2. I have now tweaked all of the IP settings for the WHS so that it now has totally fixed IP address

3. Re-run the Remote Access - via the console

4. Further tweaked the port forwarding to point to the new fixed IP of the WHS

SharePoint is now accessible via HTTP externally, and so is the WHS website

BUT - https://xxxxx.homeserver.com/remote only works externally - it reports an error message if you try to access it internally via https://  - I guess thats just a pain and not to much of an issue if your within the network.

So my theory of it having something to do with IIS was correct has not 100% fixed everything but but appears to be at least 98%

Simon C

• Marked as answer by WhoMe3000 Friday, April 30, 2010 7:04 PM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:03 PM

All replies

• Can you check that those ports are open with Shields up! Can you check any firewalls you are running as well?
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:54 PM
  • if I point the forward to a different IP of say this computer if you check for open ports say using simple port forwarding application it says the ports are open and work fine.

BUT if you point the forwards to the IP address of WHS they are no longer open - so the theory is it's something on WHS stopping the communications.

As I originally thought it was an issue with the router I turned off the firewall and just kept the port forwarding - no change to the results

I then turned off the firewall on WHS as well - no change to the results

according to some message I have looked at on various sites - some sites say its .net or a recent microsoft patch

:(

Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Can you check that those ports are open with Shields up! Can you check any firewalls you are running as well?

I have also just (see message below as well, that I sent earlier) checked via Shields up - as long as I point it to my computers IP address for the port forwarding it says the ports are open.

BUT if I point it to the WHS IP it says closed

:(

Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Have you installed an antivirus product on your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:55 PM
  • No I have not currently set up any virus software on the server. could there be an issue with the iis ?
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:37 AM
  • 1. I have now gone into the IIS and found that the webservices - was stopped, which I now changed to be running. - once this was done the remote access option still did not let accept remote access but, went a lot further than it did before. - which appears to have been the main issue. (so I have now gone on to do 2 to 4 now)

2. I have now tweaked all of the IP settings for the WHS so that it now has totally fixed IP address

3. Re-run the Remote Access - via the console

4. Further tweaked the port forwarding to point to the new fixed IP of the WHS

SharePoint is now accessible via HTTP externally, and so is the WHS website

BUT - https://xxxxx.homeserver.com/remote only works externally - it reports an error message if you try to access it internally via https://  - I guess thats just a pain and not to much of an issue if your within the network.

So my theory of it having something to do with IIS was correct has not 100% fixed everything but but appears to be at least 98%

Simon C

• Marked as answer by WhoMe3000 Friday, April 30, 2010 7:04 PM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 7:03 PM