Intermittent lost connection to shared folders on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS and two client computers (both Windows 7). One of the computers intermittently loses access to the shared folders. The computer is still connected to the network (I can access the internet and a mapped network folder on the other computer). When it happens, I can still access the WHS console and the backup feature works (both automatic and manual). Every time it happens (at least once a day - but not always the same time) the computer hangs when I try to log off and I have to shut it down with the switch. After rebooting, I have access again.

Maybe this is a Windows 7 issue, but my other computer doesn't have the problem.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:05 AM

All replies

• What version of Home Server are you running? Are you on Power Pack 3? I did not see this with my testing of Win 7 clients and WHS PP2 and earlier, but this may be one of the bugs that we fixed in PP3.

Kevin

Community Lead for Windows Server Division
    Monday, January 11, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Sorry so long to respond - busy week for me.  I am running 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2. It looks like Power Pack 3 is a beta version - should I try to install it? I'm not quite an expert, but I've been known to "run where angels fear to tread" on occasion.

Friday, January 15, 2010 3:23 AM
  • You might want to take a look at this FAQ; Power Packs and Service Packs aren't the same thing. And Power Pack 3 was release a number of weeks ago; it's no longer in beta.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:21 PM
  • I see what you're saying now. I am running Power Pack 3. The problem persists - I currently have the WHS console open on this computer but cannot access the shared folders.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:28 PM
  • I see what you're saying now. I am running Power Pack 3. The problem persists - I currently have the WHS console open on this computer but cannot access the shared folders.
    Since it's only one client, I would have to assume it's related to the client (not the server).  You might try uninstalling the NIC drivers, then reinstalling (or looking for updated NIC drivers for your client).
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:22 PM
  • I agree, its probably the Windows 7 computer. Thanks for the suggestion. I updated the NIC driver - still losing the connection. Again, once it happens I can't log off.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Do you ever use VPN software on that client PC?  Optionally, VPN software can/will disconnect shares.
    rmalbers
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Do you ever use VPN software on that client PC?  Optionally, VPN software can/will disconnect shares.
    rmalbers
    I've never set up a VPN.  I have two ideas, let me know if either is likely:

First, I have set a shared WHS folder as the iTunes media location on the client computer. Could iTunes be causing the problem?
    Second, I have made my own cat 5e cables for my home network. Since they weren't all made at the same time I may have some cables EIA/TIA 568A and others 568B. I don't think that any cables have both (one on either end), but if I inadvertently used a different standard on each end of a cable could it cause problems like this? I'm not sure if the cable would even work that way. (My laptop, with a wireless connection and not running iTunes, is the one working well).
    Monday, January 18, 2010 11:30 PM
  • Unless you're a skilled network technician, I would suspect the network cables you made above anything else. (If you've confused them so that some are A and some are B, you're probably not a skilled technician.)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:35 AM
  • Unless you're a skilled network technician, I would suspect the network cables you made above anything else. (If you've confused them so that some are A and some are B, you're probably not a skilled technician.)
    My previous computer had no problems with the same cables. It just seems weird that this would be the only manifestation if I'd made such a basic mistake. I'll hook my laptop up to the cables and turn off wireless and see if the problem develops on that computer (also running Windows 7).
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:34 AM
    My laptop works just fine on the same wired network with wireless turned off. Perhaps I'll start disabling/uninstalling software until I find the issue (hopefully). Thanks everyone for the input.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:29 PM
  • OK, an update. I uninstalled WHS Connector software from the client computer. I am no longer losing the connection to the mapped drives on the WHS. 
    Any ideas?
    By the way - reinstalling the Connector software results in the same problem. Surely someone else has had this problem.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Yes, I have had a similar problem.  Every few days my WHS loses network connection and I must restart.  It just started happening over the last few months.  I have three computers networked and they all come up with the gray box at the same time.  So, I'm thinking it's something with WHS.  I have all the latest updates to WHS and users in another forum have noted a similar issue.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:00 AM
  • I am having the same problem.

I have a HP MSS EX495.
    1 Dell laptop running win 7 ultimate 32bit
    1 desktop running windows 7 ultimate 64bit it has dual gigabit network connections built into the motherboard.

My desktop loses connection to the mapped drives after about an hour of inactivity. I have reinstalled win 7 a few times. I tried with both 32 bit & 64 bit versions. I tried using the drivers windows 7 installed & I have tried the most up to date drivers from the MOBO manufacture (EVGA). I never lose access the internet even when I can't connect to the mapped drives. If I try to restart my desktop it gets stuck at logging off. I have left it for hours & it never gets past logging off. I have to hold the power button for 5 sec to shut down the computer. After I restart everything works well for a while. Than the same thing starts again.

My laptop never loses connection whether I connect wired or wireless

Pease any suggestion. This is so frustrating.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:39 PM
  • At least I know I'm not alone - and you're right, its frustrating. I wondered if it was the gigabit network connection, but my laptop works if I plug it into the same cable. Right now I've installed a second copy of Windows 7 on the D drive. I've mapped the network drives but I don't have WHS Connector software installed. It works great (but no automatic backup to WHS, of course). I actually installed the Connector sofware (for 4 hours) and the same thing happened (lost mapped drive, can't log off). I uninstalled the Connector software and its staying connected again. I'm still playing with it but for now - no Connector sofware for me.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:39 AM
  • You might try turning off the Power Management for the Network Interface on the client PC.

Find you “Local Area Connection Properties”.

Click on Configure.

Uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.

I could be all wet.  But I have had troubles with this and the connector software under Windows 7.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 4:00 PM
  • You might try turning off the Power Management for the Network Interface on the client PC.

Find you “Local Area Connection Properties”.

Click on Configure.

Uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.

I could be all wet.  But I have had troubles with this and the connector software under Windows 7.

I was really hopeful that this would work, it sounds like a great idea - but unfortunately, no help. I'm back to no Connector Software in order to stay connected (the irony of it all!!)
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 4:04 AM
  • Sorry to reply to a two month old post, but has anyone found a solution to this problem?  My 3 windows 7 x64 machines are loosing the network share folder periodically. I still can connect via the connector software and manage the server that way, but cannot connect to any of the shares.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:00 AM
  • In my setup with Win7-clients over Gb links I observ strange behaviour during large file transfers (>5 GB). Speeds vary from >80 MB/s to <10 - even during the same transfer - and occationally the transfer process lose contakt with the target folder. Immediate retries does of course not work, but if I leave things and return after some time (> 1hr) the retry is accepted.

My highly amateur consideration is that this has to do with my network. Playing around with the parameters in the NICs have great effect on the transfer rate and I think I have got things about right now.

The disconnection I believe is due to my router DIR-655. After periods of instability and reduced speeds I restart it and things are back on track again for some days. I plan to by-pass the router some days to see what happens, even if I lose my internet connection.

Or is this just wishful thinking?

Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:35 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  Started about 2 months ago.

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit losses access to WHS Shared Folders and to a shared printer.  WHS Console access and backups work fine.  Logging off results in hung cumputer.  Forced rebooting returns all connectivity - for a while. 

Vista Home Premium, Win XP Pro, and two Win 7 Professional computers can all access the FULL capabilities of the WHS.

Also, just noticed that the Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit computer cannot see the Vista computer as even being on the network but the Vista computer CAN see and access all services of the Win 7 Ultimate system.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Friday, April 2, 2010 12:58 PM
  • I am getting the same behavior. I lose access to the shared folders but can still access the network and WHS console. If I reboot the client, it is fine for a short while, then starts dropping out every couple minutes and coming back. Eventually I can't access any shares until I reboot the client again.

Client: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

WHS: Homebuilt, all patched and updates applied.

I started showing up about a month or two ago. It was around the same time that I updated dd-wrt on the router. It might be a coincidence but I plan to start with flashing the router back to standard Linksys firmware and going from there.

Monday, April 5, 2010 4:59 PM
  • I am also having this issue.  It started when I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit.  I use the WHS all the time for storing photos and was getting frustrated with the problem of losing access and having to do a reset - because the machine would lock up during a shutdown.  I thought the issue might have been because of the 64-bit so I set up my son's 32-bit Windows 7 computer up to connect to the WHS and had the same problem.  My Windows XP computer has no issues at all.  One other thing I notice when this happens, when I click on "my computer" I see a blank window with and computer sits there "searching" for something to display.  I can do other things but can't get to my drives.  Oh well, I'm sure a fix will come out after I get so frustrated and go out and buy another HP MediaVault, which runs linux and has not given me a single issue in 2 years.
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Has anyone been able to solve this? I have been losing shared folder access also. Everything else works, WHS console and internet works. I must log off and then log back on. I will get shared folders again for a little while. This is so annoying. If I need access to my shared folders, I must stop everything and log off. Multiple times a day. 99% of the time, only 1 PC is connected to the WHS.

I have tried to turn off LAN settings like power saving mode. I have tried to changed the user login/password to connect to shared folders.

I have onboard 10/100 LAN card with my Dell desktop.  Dlink Router, non wireless version. WHS has SP3 and has been solid. I am thinking of upgrading the router to gigabit, LAN card to gigabit and Lan card on WHS to gigabit just because of this problem.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Sorry, I did not see this thread, and just started a new one with the following very detailed post:

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

I've had an annoying problem with Windows Home Server ever since I installed it.  I searched for a solution and have tried many things.  Sorry this is such a long post, but I want to provide as much information as possible.  I do most of my computing on the desktop, and the laptop is usually in hibernation mode.  The desktop is put in sleep mode when I am sleeping at night.  I use the home server as my file server, and keep all my documents there in the shared folders.

So, here is my problem.  Symptoms that are known to be a WHS problem include the following:

1. Periodically, from several times a day to once every few days, the shared folders will become inaccessible.   I will not know this unless I try to access them, or open any application that will look to the shared folders (either because the last document opened in the application was located in the shared folders, of because I have set a default location there).  There is no error message, the application just hangs.

2. When this occurs, I can usually close the application with the 'x' at the top right (Windows Explorer), but I may have to answer to a "Not Responding Prompt" to close it, or open task manager and stop the application or process.

3. When this occurs, I CAN open the console and get to the server, but CANNOT open the shared folders, even from the console.  I can ping the server, and remote desktop into the server (and open the shared folders that way).  Network Magic shows nothing wrong.

4. When this occurs, opening Window Explorer immediately hangs because Windows Explorer defaults to "Libraries," and "Libraries" includes folders in the shared folders.

5. When this occurs, no matter how many applications I shut down, no matter how many processes I stop, no matter how many services I stop, the problem is not resolved.  I can ONLY resolve the problem by rebooting the machine I am working on (rebooting the home server does NOT help).

6. When this occurs, and I attempt to shut down or restart, windows 7 hangs on the blue "Logging Off" screen, and NEVER finishes logging off.  I left it running all night once, and it was still "Logging Off" in the morning.  I always have to use the power button to shut the machine down.

7. When this occurs, it seems to occur on BOTH the desktop and the laptop.  Turning off one of the machines and restarting fixes that machine ONLY, the problem is still happening on the other machine.

8. When this occurs, and after restarting the machine, the "Passwords do not match" error message pops up (even though I have synced the passwords many times.  Also, some settings on the rebooted machine seem to regress to the past (window size and locations for Skype, etc.).

I have tried many things, including adding machine names and IP addresses to the hosts files on the laptop, desktop, and server.  I thought the problem might be related to an anomaly I noticed on the laptop.  The user on the laptop was one name, but the directory folder for that user under the "Users" directory was another name, and this other name was the same as the main user on the desktop.  I renamed the user on the laptop, created that user again, and deleted the directory with the incorrect name.  I also deleted the user that was renamed.  The laptop now has one user with a directory name that matches, and these are NOT the same as the desktop user any more.  The problem remains.

I have also noticed that the "Passwords do not Match" message pops up every once in a while even when the problem has not occurred.  Also, although the nightly backups seem to be working OK, every once in a while, in the morning the desktop will be shut off instead of sleep mode.  When I start the machine, I get the "Windows did not shut down normally" screen as the machine boots up.  This has happened with the laptop as well.

I am using WHS version 5.2.3790, software version v1.30(0940.005)

I hope someone has some ideas!

Thanks,

Dave

My configuration:

Home network includes a QWest DSL modem/router (wireless turned off), Vonage device connected directly to the modem, a D-Link / Wireless Draft 11n Router DIR-635 connected to the modem as well. 

I have a linksys power-line network device connected to the D-Link router and to a power outlet.  The other Linksys device connected to the power lines is hooked up to a DirecTV DVR (media server) and Samsung Blue-Ray recorder.  Also connected directly to the D-Link router is an Acer Aspire home server (see stats below).

Connected to the D-Link router wirelessly are a Desktop, and a laptop, both running Windows 7, and a D-Link network print server (stats below).

The home server :

Acer Aspire server, Phoenix Technologies LTD P03

Intel Atom CPU 230 @ 1.6 GHz
    MS Windows Server Standard SP@
    2058 MB storage
    Marvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Etherney Controller (100.0 Mbs connection speed)
    The desktop

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) (build 7600)
    3.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. CROSSHAIR 1.XX
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz, 4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS CROSSHAIR ACPI BIOS Revision 0502 01/02/2007 Maxtor 3 H500F0 SCSI Disk Device (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n H81C2Q3H, SMART Status: Healthy
    ST350063 0AS SCSI Disk Device (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9QG24JJ3, SMART Status: Healthy
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH08LS20 SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX [Display adapter]
    Acer X223W [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n LAV0C0514010, November 2008)
    Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (22.0"vis, s/n HVCP324366, March 2007)
    D-Link DWA-542 RangeBooster N Desktop Adapter Acer Inc. - Aspire easyStore Home Server Software Update Version 1.20.003 AxoNet Software GmbH - LightsOutClientService Version 0.8.2.234 Check Point Software Technologies - ZoneAlarm ForceField Version 1, 5, 53, 4
    Check Point Software Technologies LTD - TrueVector Service Version 9.1.008.000
    Check Point Software Technologies LTD - ZoneAlarm Client Version 9.1.008.000
    Check Point, Inc. - ZoneAlarm Uninstaller Version 9.1.8.1
    Cisco Systems, Inc. - Network Magic Version 5.5.09170.0
    Cisco Systems, Inc. - Pure Networks Platform Version 11.2.09170.0
    Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 8.00.7600.16385
    Microsoft Corporation - Windows Installer - Unicode Version 5.0.7600.16385
    Microsoft Corporation - Windows® Search Version 7.00.7600.16385
    Microsoft ® Windows Script Host Version 5.8.7600.16385
    Microsoft® .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727.4927
    Microsoft® .NET Framework Version 3.0.6920.4902
    Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Version 12.0.7600.16385
    MindVision Software - Installer VISE Version 3, 7, 0, 0
    Mozilla - Sunbird Version 0.9
    Mozilla Corporation - Firefox Version 3.6.3
    Mozilla Messaging - Thunderbird Version 3.0.4 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 196.21 Version 8.17.11.9621
    OpenOffice.org 3.1
    OpenOffice.org 3.2 Version 3.02.9476
    OpenOffice.org Base Version 3.02.9476
    OpenOffice.org Calc Version 3.02.9476
    OpenOffice.org Draw Version 3.02.9476
    OpenOffice.org Impress Version 3.02.9476
    OpenOffice.org Math Version 3.02.9476
    OpenOffice.org Writer Version 3.02.9476
    OpenOffice.org Writer(Web) Version 3.02.9476
    Skype Extras Manager Version 1.0.0.0
    Skype Version 4.2
    Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U18 Version 6.0.180.7
    Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Java(TM) Platform SE Auto Updater 2 0 Version 2.0.1.2

MSXML4SP2
    KB954430 on 1/2/2010
    KB973688 on 1/2/2010

Windows 7
    KB971033 on 2/25/2010
    KB971468 on 2/10/2010
    KB972270 on 1/14/2010
    KB973525 on 12/31/2009
    KB974332 on 12/31/2009
    KB974431 on 12/31/2009
    KB974571 on 12/31/2009
    KB975364 on 12/31/2009
    KB975467 on 12/31/2009
    KB975560 on 2/10/2010
    KB976098 on 12/31/2009
    KB976264 on 3/11/2010
    KB976325 on 12/31/2009
    KB976662 on 2/24/2010
    KB976972 on 1/27/2010
    KB977074 on 1/27/2010
    KB977863 on 2/24/2010
    KB978207 on 1/22/2010
    KB978251 on 2/10/2010
    KB978262 on 2/10/2010
    KB978506 on 1/27/2010
    KB978637 on 2/24/2010
    KB979099 on 2/10/2010
    KB979306 on 2/24/2010
    KB980182 on 3/31/2010
    KB980302 on 3/24/2010

Laptop:

Gateway M-1631U
    Windows 7 (x64 Home Preimum), 54Mbs connection speed
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
    3968 MB RAM

David A. Desautel dadepfan@desautel.net Desautel.net! http://desautel.net The Boomer Blog! http://boomer-blog.com The Reverse Spin! http://reverse-spin.com
    Friday, April 9, 2010 12:45 AM
  • The problem is usually caused by poor network drivers or the system shutting down the network adapter as part of power management.  So first check the power management settings for your network device in device manager.  If the problem still persists upgrade/downgrade your network drivers to a known good working set.

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, April 9, 2010 9:13 AM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Hi AL

I checked the power management already.  The "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box is unchecked.  I notice that the "Allow this device to wake the computer" box is shaded out and cannot be checked.  Is this normal?  Also, I wonder if the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter that comes with Windows 7, and becomes active whenever you enable a wireless adapter, could have anything to do with this problem?  I'm not sure the drivers could be the problem because of the fact that when it occurs on my desktop, the problem also occurs on my laptop at the same time (even if in hibernation).  The laptop has a different adapter than the desktop.

After reading this thread, I wonder if anyone has verified that it does not occur with 32-bit Windows 7, or with 64-bit Vista?

Thanks,

Dave

David A. Desautel dadepfan@desautel.net Desautel.net! http://desautel.net The Boomer Blog! http://boomer-blog.com The Reverse Spin! http://reverse-spin.com
    Friday, April 9, 2010 2:58 PM
  • I haven't tried to reproduce the errors you're experiencing, but I'd like to share one thing with you guys.

One week ago I installed tversity on the whs, and a few days ago I noticed that my desktop which is downloading the tv-series and things to my shared folders (using utorrent on the desktop) kept reporting that the network share was not working. I uninstalled tversity and rebooted the whs. now everything is working again. Tversity also reduced the overall performance of my whs. Not sure if this has anything to do with what you're experiencing, but could be worth checking. Have a great weekend!

/Bjurran from Sweden

EDIT: forgot to mention, the desktop is running win7 ultimate and is the owner of the homegroup...

Edit 2: I have to correct myself, something else is causing this as the problem came back last night.

Friday, April 9, 2010 7:36 PM
  • I may have solved my shared folders problem, though I still do not know what was causing it.  After reading on another forum that deleting the users on WHS and then re-creating them helped someone else with a similar problem, I gave it a try yesterday morning.  24 hours later, the problem has not returned.  This is not definitive, but a good sign (considering this was happening multiple times each day).  I will update this thread if the problem comes back, or when it has not happened for long enough for me to consider it gone.

Thanks,

Dave

Sunday, April 11, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Well....

Deleting and re-creating the users on the server fixed the problem - for two days!  Now it is back with a vengeance !  It is now happening 3-4 times a day (yesterday and today).  The fact that is was fixed for a couple of days after re-creating the users would seem to point towards something corrupting the user accounts on WHS.  There are two names for users.  The logon name is the same as on the client machines (and so is the password), and for the other name, I am using the computer name of the client.

Microsoft needs to address this issue.  I am coming close to scrapping WHS and seeing if I can convert my Acer Aspire to a Linux system with a GNU file server running on it!!

Dave
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:13 AM
  • Please submit a bug report on Connect . But I don't know that there's anything there to be "fixed", as it doesn't seem to be a common issue. I suspect something about the environment your server is operating in is causing the problem you're seeing, but I don't know what that "something" might be.

Could you check the web logs on your server for unusual entries?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:14 AM
  • I'm not sure how anybody can logically conclude that the NIC drivers or the "environment your server is operating in" is the problem.  It looks like all of us reporting this problem have tried changing the NIC drivers.  Also, the likelyhood that we all have similiar operating environments that are somehow more different than everybody else's seems far fetched.  I am using a CradlePoint MBR-1000 Mobile Broadband "N" router with two Novatel U727 wireless modems for Internet connectivity which I am pretty sure is rather unique.  The only real commonality appears to be a wired, Windows 7 Ultimate (mostly 64 Bit) client workstation.  Our Vista, XP and Win 7 non-Ultimate systems all seems to work consistently as designed.  I have found discussions in other forums about mis-matched times causing the problems, or not.  A few forums report no connectivity with the WHS (backup and console included) that all seem to track back to Windows 7 Ultimate clients.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:01 PM
  • If you think it' s Windows 7 problem then perhaps it's best to raise the issue with that product team.

--
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:37 PM
  • I agree.  After reading this forum it appears that 64-bit Windows 7 has a problem with Windows Home Server, or perhaps the other way around.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 5:23 AM
  • ... and a few days ago I noticed that my desktop which is downloading the tv-series and things to my shared folders (using utorrent on the desktop) kept reporting that the network share was not working.

I'm not experiencing any greyed out connector on any of my win 7 ultimate 64 bit, however I'm having huge network problems when using the desktop to download directly to the whs shares. µtorrent keep complaining about that the network name is no longer available and I have to restart the torrent. I'm currently discussing this in the µtorrent forum as well, as I first noticed this after I updated to µT 2.0x (not not sure as it could be something else as well). No solution yet.
    However, I'm pretty sure this is from the OS and not utorrent as the error messages listed in µT are in Swedish. (Swedish OS, English µtorrent)

I have no errors in the event logs on client or whs regarding this loss, the download just stops. Seeding is never a problem, only downloading. The only error I'm seeing is that whs is complaning about file conflicts (file open) due to the total time it takes from when the download start to reach the specified seeding ratio, but this happens after the actual problem occurs.

/Bjurran from Sweden

Monday, April 19, 2010 7:32 AM
  • Out of interest do you guys have IPV6 left enabled in your W7 clients? 
    --
    Monday, April 19, 2010 10:54 AM
    --

Yes

Edit: it's turned on on all my client computers, however it's not installed on my whs after I reinstalled it last time. My ADSL provider is only providing IPv4, one public IP. Internal IPs provided by my Thomson TG787 gateway. My only switch on the network is a 24-port 3com Superstack 3300MM (yes, still running 100MBps). All computers wired with cat5e (568-B).

Monday, April 19, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Having the same problem as everyone else.  Will provide more info as I find it.

BTW, i have Win7 (x64) ultimate.  Wired Network.

Edit 4-22-2010: So before I left for work this morning I turned the computer on, turned off the screen saver, turned off "go into sleep mode after x minutes.".  Got home and my connection to the server was still intact. Would like to do more testing with sleep mode; however, i had to pull my power supply for RMA (Corsair making a buzzing noise that was driving me insane).

Monday, April 19, 2010 4:25 PM
    --

Should we?

Bill McMinn

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:17 AM
  • It depends on if you use it or not.  You could try turning it off and see if that helps your particular situation.
    --
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:48 PM
  • I am having this problem too and it is not just with my PCs.  I use my WHS box as a SageTV server and I have several Sage extenders that connect to the server to allow me to watch live or recorded TV, video files, etc.  I have this probelm with watching shows over SageTV.  I don't have any 64 bit versions of Win7 but I have 3 PCs running Win7HP 32bit plus a WinXP Pro client plus occasional laptop connections running XP Home or Pro.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:53 PM
  • What network adapters do you have.  All network devices are not created equally.  You problem could be caused by a poor network swtich.

--
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Al, main components in my setup:

• WHS NIC is integrated in the mobo, Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H, Realtek 8111C chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
    • Desktop with win7, integrated in mobo Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, Realtek 8111C chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
    • Switch: 24-port 3Com SuperStack 3300 MM
    • ADSL modem/gateway and DHCP: Thomson TG787

I tried replacing the original Ms drivers with the lastest Realtek drivers available during the weekend, but just noticed that new drivers are available today (both win7 and xp/2k3). Will try it out tonight (Sweden, CET) and report back.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:18 AM
  • This problem is extremely frustrating.  Today, it was happening almost hourly, though recently on a couple of occasions the log off process DID complete successfully.  Most of the time however, I have to use the power button during the hung "logging off" process.  Doing that almost every hour is insane, and probably dangerous for the machine.

I have removed the check on IPV6 on my desktop PC, on the WHS server, and on my laptop.  I also have unchecked the "allow the computer to turn off this device..." box on all NICs on the network.  By the way, Windows 7 comes with a virtual NIC (Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter) that gets enables along with any other NIC you enable.  I have tried disableing this virtual adapter, and have made the same setting changes as I did for the other NICs on the network.  Nothing helps the problem.

Does anyone think this virtual adapter in Windows 7 might be part of the problem?

This problem does not come with any error messages, but you know it has happened when you open Windows Explorer or any dialogue that uses Windows Explorer (like a "browse" dialogue).  Also, any program that tries to access a file on the WHS server hangs as well.  The symptom is then that the Windows Explorer window or the application does not respond to any mouse click, but instead becomes grayed out with the blue "in process" circle turning.  This will stay like this forever unless you shut down.  Shutting down almost always totally hangs at the "logging off" screen, though recently this has not hung on a couple of occasions.

I cannot find any clue in any of the client event logs or the WHS event logs.  The WHS event logs were showing system errors about not finding drivers for all the printers on the clients, but changing the Terminal Services settings on WHS to not load client printers got rid of the errors (but did not fix the access problem).  I have tried shutting down every application running on my client when this problem occurs, including anti-virus and firewalls.  I've tried stopping any process that looks like it might have anything to do with networking, but nothing restores access to shared folders or unhangs Windows explorer other than shutting down.  I've tried every diagnostic tool I could find and every command line program I could think of to see if I can tell what process is hung up or what user is hung up during the problem occurring, but nothing gives me a clue.

Once in a while, trying to close the hung-up Windows Explorer window does not close the window, but instead gives me a "not responding" box.  When I choose to end the program, my entire desktop disappears except for the background picture.  No icons, no task bar, and no start menu.  ctrl-alt-delete does NOT work in this instance.  I have to use the power button at that point.  When this problem is occurring, I CAN access the WHS server via remote desktop (and I can access the shared folders this way).  I can also ping the server by name or IP address.  I can also open the WHS Console, but CANNOT open the shared folders from within the console.

I have a couple of shared folders mapped to drive letters in Windows Explorer.  When I open a command window, or the Power Shell (as Administrator), and try to switch to one of the mapped drive letters, the command window hangs and does nothing.  In the past I have already verified that, when the problem occurs on my desktop PC, and the laptop is already running, the problem is also on the laptop.  Rebooting the server does NOT fix the problem, only rebooting the client (both clients have to be rebooted individually to fix each of them).

I have tried deleting and recreating all the users on the WHS server.  This seemed to stop the problem for a couple of days, but it came back after that.  I've tried adding host names and IP addresses for all computers on the network to all the hosts files, but this did not help (My router has DCHP enabled, but the IP addresses for each computer on the network is "reserved" for that computer, so it does not change).  Still nothing works.

I have tried to run my desktop in safe mode (with networking) for an hour or two on several occasions.  The problem has not yet occurred while running in safe mode.

This problem was submitted as a bug on Connect, and I added a comment, but nothing seems to be going on to solve the problem.

As I said, I am very frustrated with this.  If I am in an application working on a document or graphic located on the server, and while I am working the problem occurs, I am not aware the problem is happening until I try to save what I am working on.  At that point I am screwed.  I cannot save the work I have done, and the application completely hangs.  I have to shut down and lose my work.

Does any know if it is possible to convert an Acer Aspire server running WHS to something like Ubuntu???

Dave

Monday, April 26, 2010 3:50 AM
  • Hi,

Although this is WHS you are having problems with, I have also been having Windows 7 connectively issues.  After upgrading from Vista 64 Business to Windows 7 Professional the network starts losing connectivity after some number of minutes, under 30.  Updating the NIC drivers doesn't work, there was and are no other issues with the network, the issue is specific to the machine that was upgraded.  This is in a SBS 2008 environment that is in excellent condition.  This is clearly a Windows 7 issue.

The only way to resolve this issue is to install a new network card and use it instead of the previous card or onboard NIC.  There is nothing wrong with the NIC, it was working fine in Vista and indeed in Win 7, however, something that Win 7 does during the upgrade causes it to fail, possibly firewall, possibly some sort of binding, possibly an x64 gigabit specific connection issue.  I stopped wasting time on trying to fix it, get a new card and it will work.  I looked through everything on the server DHCP, DNS, etc.  The only clue that pops out is that when the Win 7 gets it's DHCP address, there is a "phantom" address created in the DHCP leases.  This address has no computer or NIC associated with it. 

The problem does not change when disabling ipv6, does not change with a fixed IP address, does not change with the latest, greatest drivers from the manufacturer, does not change after running all windows updates, does not change with ipconfig /release/renew and/or flush dns.  The only thing that fixes it is a new NIC.

I am going out and buying 3 spare NICs so that I can continue to run Vista-Win 7 upgrades, just know that after the upgrade you will have connectivity failures.

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Hi All,

I have had the same problem for a long time now. the last thing i tried was removing the disk mng addinn and it seem to work. but in a few days the problem was back. i re-installed the pc with XP and dont,t beleve it but there is no problem anymore.

conclusion: what happend with Win7 the last months?

Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Hi, I was having the same issues (can connect to the console, but can't see the folders, nor can I do updates to the windows home server). I found out the date/time was incorrect (set to 2007), for some random reason, so I remotely logged in, set the right date/time, and everything started working great. Something to do with certificates or similar, I guess.

Why did the WHS lose the time? why it did not sync automatically with a time server? seems that when the time/date is way off, the internet certificates don't allow it to reach the internet, i.e. can't get a new time!.

Hope this helps.

-B

Monday, May 3, 2010 12:47 AM
  • I have noticed that the microsoft ntp-servers (the internet servers used to sync the time) have been failing on me for a while. It works every now and then, but not as good as it should. If you have your computers set to sync with the server time.windows.com, I suppose you could try another public ntp server in your area. (check with your ISP or find one at ntp.org)

However, I will leave this thread now as I think I might have found what was causing my trouble. One of the smaller drives in my system (which was not used much) was stuck in PIO mode. Whenever the system needed to access or store anything on that drive, the whole system was becoming extremely unstable. Right now, things seem to work.

Monday, May 3, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi!

I have a WHS-client running Win7x64 and had the same problem with Windows Explorer hanging after a short time after boot-up and the logging-off problem.

My solution to THIS was to un-map all network drives and folders. Now I can log off normally, and Windows Explorer - "My Computer" - works fine.

I still have one problem, though, after a short while after start-up network-computers don't show up in "My Network"

I have gone through all of the different suggestions in this thread, but with no solution to the problem.

Nils

Friday, May 14, 2010 8:18 AM
  •   The only real commonality appears to be a wired, Windows 7 Ultimate (mostly 64 Bit) client workstation.  Our Vista, XP and Win 7 non-Ultimate systems all seems to work consistently as designed.  I have found discussions in other forums about mis-matched times causing the problems, or not.  A few forums report no connectivity with the WHS (backup and console included) that all seem to track back to Windows 7 Ultimate clients.

Just to add my 2-cents (since Ken indicated it didn't seem to be a common issue), we have 3 active computers in our household.  My Win XP machine NEVER loses connection and is the go-to-pc if you need on a share.  The other two are both Win7 machines, and exhibit exactly as has been described above...   losing connection (after as little as a half hour after reboot); hanging on logging off, or shutting down, or restarting such that you have to hard boot with the power button.

I quoted Bill because one machine is Win7 Professional x64, and the other is Win7 Premium x64...  (so I'd say it's just not an ultimate build)

Another question...  a gentleman nearer the start of this thread indicated that he achieved a "fix" by uninstalling the Connector software.  I have yet to try that (will soon), but was wondering, the connection software is needed to perform the backups, correct?  (I can live w/o being able to Connector over from my Win7 comp...  but can't live without the backup!)

Thanks all.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:31 AM
  • I have a HP Compac 6710b with Vista Business, SP2.

I am experiencing the same two problems that most of the people on this thread are talking about:

- Loosing connection to network shares. When connection is lost it doesn't matter if I use a drive letter or UNC path, I can't access this specific share at all. I can access network shares on other machines AND other shares on the specific machine but not the one where I have lost connection. Other users can access this share from other machines. The problem does not repair itself - reboot is solution (and perhaps logout/in, but haven't tried this)

- Situations where the system hangs, piece by piece. I don't really know what application that initiates the problem but normally I first experience reduction in general speed. Then some applications hang and can not be interacted with, typically IE and Outlook. It is possible to switch acive application and open Task Manager but in most cases it is impossible to kill applications and processes. After some minutes or so it's not possible to interact with Windows at all and it's defintely not possible to reboot gracely, the only remaining way of interaction is the power button.

I have not seen the link between these problems before but maybe such link exists. Right now I ahve not been able to access one network share for half an hour but experience no problems with hangs or reduced speed.

So, this is not a problem only seen in Windows 7.

Any hints?

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:41 PM
  • has there been any progress on this? Still having this issue and getting to the point where I will just look for an alternate solution to WHS.  Thanks.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:49 PM
  • I have turned off ipv6 and also remote differential compression in Windows Features. I am running 3 windows 7 64 bit computers and have no problems with connectivity.  Two of the machines are running Realtek Gig ethernet cards, the 3rd is a Dell ( don't remember what chipset is in that).  May not be the answer for you, but some of us are running W7 64 bit and WHS together successfully.

Cruise
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Same problem- 2 win7 systems- one with share. folder access is 'lost' every few minits. Hint- pings from/to each machine were NOT lost when connection 'goes down'. All ip's are static. There is even a hosts file entry for computer ip/name on machines. THIS IS NOT A TRUE DISCONNECT- ALL PINGS BIDIRECTIONALLY  WITH NO LOSS WHILE SHARES 'disconnected'! The problem is likely in some browser table overflowing- this is pure guesswork... as it is the NAME/PASS/USER of the share that seems to dissapear and reapear.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 2:08 PM
  • I had the same problem and I ran chkdsk/r on my WHS c: drive and that seemed to fix the problem.  I also had to restart beacuse chkdsk couldn't lock the volume.  So, it did it on restart. I do belive that my drive holding the system files is going bad and will need to be replaced and chkdsk is a stopgap measure.  Other threads have suggested that bad hard drives will cause loss of network connections.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:04 PM
  • never did figure out the problem here. I even installed windows7 on another computer (one that was previously running xp with 0 problems) and the problem came back. Its to bad there is no solution and/or not enough people with this issue for MS to even take a serious look at it. 
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 4:23 AM
  • Hi AL

I checked the power management already.  The "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box is unchecked.  I notice that the "Allow this device to wake the computer" box is shaded out and cannot be checked.  Is this normal?  Also, I wonder if the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter that comes with Windows 7, and becomes active whenever you enable a wireless adapter, could have anything to do with this problem?  I'm not sure the drivers could be the problem because of the fact that when it occurs on my desktop, the problem also occurs on my laptop at the same time (even if in hibernation).  The laptop has a different adapter than the desktop.

After reading this thread, I wonder if anyone has verified that it does not occur with 32-bit Windows 7, or with 64-bit Vista?

Thanks,

Dave

I have this same issue -- it is my "public" share on my WHS that drops off the air (my clients still have connectivity to the LAN and public internet as well as all my other WHS shares).  I am also using the Win7 Sync function to provide access to data on some of my shares when I am remote from the WHS.  The share drops and if I am viewing the share via Explorer all folders except the one folder within the public share I have sync'd have a little "x" over them and they gray out.  I can sit there with the explorer window open and literally watch the connectivity to the share bounce.  It will be connected for a little while (ranges from seconds to minutes) - sync operations will occur while connected, and then disconnects.  This behavior is occurring on 3 of my machines, two are Win7 Pro 64bit and the last one is Win7Pro 32bit on a netbook.  This behavior happens via wired and wireless network connections. 

My mileage with the console has always been hit and miss.  Some of my systems can use it reliably - other systems I can't open it to save my life.  From the systems the console will not function on, I can successfully RDP to my WHS.  The systems the console does open on, the performance moving through modules within is pathetic.

Wake system for backup seems to be working brilliantly to run nightly backups on my systems just fine, however the laptops don't go back to sleep after the back up.  This is only a problem if one isn't plugged in :-)

My WHS is pretty much stock - only add in active is McAfee.

Monday, January 3, 2011 7:11 AM
  • I just replaced the HD in the Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit client system and reinstalled all of the software.  My problem with the lost connectivity to the WHS Shred Folders continues.  I have now been having this problem for well over a year!  My Win Vista Home Premium 64-bit, two Win 7 Professional 32-bit, and one Win XP Pro 32-bit systems have NO problems EVER connecting to the WHS shares.

Has anybody come up with any new ideas to try?

Thanks!

Bill

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Usually it's the NIC drivers.  I would guess you have a RealTek network card which are very well known to have problematic drivers.  You should try to find various versions of the driver required for your NIC and test them until you find one that works for your system. 

Good luck,
    Al

-- Free AV for WHS : http://whsclamav.sourceforge.net/
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Add me to the list too! Same symptoms like everyone else.

The network connection works for a time then completely shuts down. Tried many of things listed here but to no avail. (Clients are Vista, XP, and Win 7)

WHS is HP EX box.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:14 PM

The network connection works for a time then completely shuts down. Tried many of things listed here but to no avail. (Clients are Vista, XP, and Win 7)

WHS is HP EX box.

Yep... I've the same issues. At the beginning I wasn't aware of this "issue", everything was working fine. In the meantime it happens every few minutes (if I copy large amout of files). See some reports from Robocopy:

100%    New File       140.5 m    10_1728_Beim zNachtessen.MTS
    100%    New File       92.3 m    12_1001_Lily & Naely singen Schiffli fah
    100%    New File       72.2 m    21_1650_Spielen.MTS
     1.9%   New File       60.0 m    21_1650_Spielen_II.MTS
    2011/05/27 01:33:39 ERROR 64 (0x00000040) Copying File C:\Users\rzueger\Desktop\New fold
    The specified network name is no longer available.
    Waiting 30 seconds... Retrying...
    100%    New File       60.0 m    21_1650_Spielen_II.MTS
    100%    New File       187.7 m    21_2242_Naely spielt anstatt zu schlafen
    100%    New File       63.2 m    28_0827_Aktion auf der Baustelle.MTS
         New Dir     4  C:\Users\rzueger\Desktop\New folder\SDCARD\2011_04_Aller
    100%    New File       154.1 m    16_1122_Spielen mit der Katze.MTS
    100%    New File       263.3 m    23_1300_Naely putzt den Boden.MTS
     2.0%   New File       61.0 m    23_1302_Naely putzt den Boden II.MTS
    2011/05/27 01:34:52 ERROR 64 (0x00000040) Copying File C:\Users\rzueger\Desktop\New fold
    100%    New File       61.0 m    23_1302_Naely putzt den Boden II.MTS
    100%    New File       88.9 m    23_1304_Gummistiefel anziehen.MTS
         New Dir     3  C:\Users\rzueger\Desktop\New folder\SDCARD\2011_05_Aller
    100%    New File       561.5 m    13_1033_Spielen im Garten.MTS
     55.1%   New File       597.7 m    13_1221_Ringen und spielen im Garten.MTS
    2011/05/27 01:36:20 ERROR 64 (0x00000040) Copying File C:\Users\rzueger\Desktop\New fold
    100%    New File       597.7 m    13_1221_Ringen und spielen im Garten.MTS

After a few seconds the network connection is back and running... And it's definitive not the client, because if I copy from my desktop to my laptop or if I download something from the internet, it works perfectly.

I assume that's the WHS Server (all updates done; newest service pack) is the root cause. It's a ASUS M2N Motherboard (AMD Athlon CPU). My clients are all Windows 7 and I also access the WHS with my Noxxon and XBOX for streaming...

Every kind of idea who can help is really appreciated...

Thanks & regards

Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Put me down as a me too.

3 computers all win 7.

Must reboot daily to have server connection.

Has been happening just the last few weeks.

Thanks

Doug Klippert
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 9:46 PM
  • If you have win 7 and homegroup activated, homegroup overrides all server folder permissions.  Check the homegroup settings on the serverfor each folder.  Mine went to no access for no reason.  When I put them back on full access, network problems went away.....

May also consider putting WHS on a static IP.

John

• Proposed as answer by pdxjungle Saturday, June 11, 2011 4:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by pdxjungle Saturday, June 11, 2011 4:19 PM
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 2:00 AM

WHS is HP EX box.

I'm having the same issue. My WHS is custom built. Gigabyte mobo, I removed a few add-ons and my connection would stay up better, I thought I solved the issue since the house was "green" on all PC's for most of the week. Then, this morning, had a share open and noticed that the house went to "gray" don't know what else to check. These seemed to start happenening about a week or so ago... Everything USE TO WORK FINE!
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Hi all,

I've read through this thread, hoping that by the end of it, there would be a solution to the problem.  Sadly, there isn't.

Add me to the list of users experiencing intermittent connectivity problem with my Windows 7 x64 professional client machine with a Acer Easyshare WHS.  I first started experiencing problems when my Genie Timeline backup software started complaining losing connection to the backup folder, which resides on the WHS and is mapped as B: drive on my Win7 client computer.  After a reboot, the connection is good for about a day, then it would drop intermittent (and the Genie Timeline monitor would restart whenever connection drops).  My Kaspersky internet security software also loses connection at the same time (the gadget on the desktop turns from green to gray, then flips between the two as connection is dropped and gets restored). 

I'll try to find another set of NIC drivers for my onboard Gigabit NIC (Asus P5KC motherboard) to see if that makes a difference.  Any advice or help would be appreciated but it sounds like those having problems have given up and is just living with the problem...

Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:06 PM