Windows 7 - HP Pavilion dv6 - Windows is not genuine. RRS feed

• Question

• I have bought an HP Pavilion dv6 and by default there were two drives (C & D). Actually, I wanted to have more than two partitions; therefore, I repartitioned the harddisk and created four partitions. After repartitioning the Harddisk, I used the recovery of the HP and installed a new windows 7 Home premium. As I already have the license of this version of windows 7 at the bottom of my pavilion, I entered the CD Key which is sticked at the bottom of my Pavilion. However, now the windows wallpaper turned black telling me that this version is not Genuine!!! How could it be? the license is just at the bottom of the laptop?!

Please, Advice.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:21 PM

Answers

• The key from that sticker MUST be activated by phone. I will post instructions below.

Activate by phone

1. Type "slui 4" in the start menu search box, hit enter

2. Select country or region

3. Dial the number, DO NOT select any menu options, just wait and a person will pick up.

4. activate by phone

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:23 PM
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:58 PM

All replies

• The key from that sticker MUST be activated by phone. I will post instructions below.

Activate by phone

1. Type "slui 4" in the start menu search box, hit enter

2. Select country or region

3. Dial the number, DO NOT select any menu options, just wait and a person will pick up.

4. activate by phone

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:23 PM
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:58 PM
  • If Carl's post does not resolve the issue follow the below steps to post a Diagnostic Report.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:23 PM
  • I Bought a Toshiba L650 laptop. when i installed Linux in it by mistake i used the entire disk,and that wiped my windows partitions. my friend has a windows 7 standalone disk. can I use that disk and use the CD key at the bottom of my laptop and do the above procedure (either phone activation or MGADiag tool) to make my windows7 genuine? 
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:42 AM
  • Phone activation is required when using the COA key.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 5:07 AM