Task Scheduler - Domain User password changed and yet the task still can run RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I have a scheduled task created using local Administrator in one of my test server

- the user account used to run the task is set to an AD user account "STEVENAD\cyarkqaadm"

- the task is set to "Run whether user is logged on or not" . 

- "Do not store password. The task will only have access to local resources" is UNCHECKED

- "Run with highest privileges" is UNCHECKED

For testing purposes, the task is set to run every 5 mins indefinitely. 

After a few success automatic running of the task (5 min interval), i tried to update the user account "STEVENAD\cyarkqaadm" password in my Domain Controller. However to my surprise, the task still run successfully.

Is this an expected result ?

How this work? 

steven

• Edited by CvenChong Monday, November 13, 2017 11:36 AM
    • Changed type Bill_Stewart Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:19 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:19 PM This is not "teach me how to use Task Scheduler" forum
    Monday, November 13, 2017 11:17 AM

All replies

• For the password change to take affect on a domain, you usually have to logout and log back in. Otherwise it would simply throw the user out of their session. Let me know if this is useful info or it I'm talking out my back-end.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 11:31 AM
  • Hi,

There should not need any logout/log back in as I was logged into the server as local administrator to create the schedule task (although i set the task to be run using "STEVENAD\cyarkqaadm" account)

My question is that, how come the change of password for "STEVENAD\cyarkqaadm" account does not break the task scheduler from running? 

steven

Monday, November 13, 2017 11:38 AM
  • Hopefully someone has a better idea of what is going on here, but I suspect that since the computer with the scheduled task hasn't been rebooted, the old password is still valid as it can't push that user off mid-session.

I'll keep my mouth shut now and hope someone smarter helps you :)

Monday, November 13, 2017 11:56 AM
  • This question is off-topic because this is not a support forum for the Task Scheduler.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, November 13, 2017 3:37 PM